Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Run 8 V2 Update 7

Agree to disagree Bruce. I don't enjoy any of the train games anymore, they are all rubbish as far as i am concerned buddy.

Not really sure why i purchased Bakersfield to be honest. Just habit "got to have the next installment" i guess.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Agree to disagree Bruce. I don't enjoy any of the train games anymore, they are all rubbish as far as i am concerned buddy.

Not really sure why i purchased Bakersfield to be honest. Just habit "got to have the next installment" i guess.
    Okay.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

You both have gr8 points, I to get put off by some of the cardboard cutout looking scenery items from time to time. It is 2019 you would think someone would have figured out a way to provide a low poly photorealisic back drops. Thats why I'm a player and not a programmer! I play a tank sim known as steelbeasts pro pe and not unlike run 8 has some "msts" style scenery items for sure. But no other sim comes close. One reason could be that its an actual trainer developed for the military. I digress- seagoon summarized my thoughts quite eloquently-
    Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I like it because of what it does provide. I don't dislike it for what it doesn't provide.

As a long term advocate of Zusi 2 guess I can't complain too much about detailed trees, but I do agree with some of what Mike says. After you've played Train Sim World or for that matter DTG normal TS, even Trainz 2019 with routes that use more recent assets, it's hard to go back to more basic, spartan scenery of Run8 - at least not for over £30 a route. Okay Run 8 might have slightly better physics than the other games but as time goes by that has become slightly less important (not unimportant though!) and then there's more features it lacks, too.

Horses for courses, I guess.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .......After you've played Train Sim World or for that matter DTG normal TS, even Trainz 2019 with routes that use more recent assets, it's hard to go back to more basic, spartan scenery of Run8 - at least not for over £30 a route. ......
    I haven't fired those games up for months. They are still on my PC but are gathering dust (pixel dust? ) simply because they do not provide the same operating interest for me that is the core of Run 8.

It is also a case of what one sees as value.

For me, your £30+ provides more than enough value simply because of the operational realism of Run 8 and the fact that my preference is for US Class 1 railroads and although TS20XX serves up plenty of US stuff, all of it set on a pretty stage, the simple fact that the physics are so dumbed-down in comparison with Run 8 has become enough for me to put the DTG product on the shelf.

End of story as far as I'm concerned, which is one reason why I am looking forward to what v3 will offer.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bruce, i award you the Run 8. Worlds most dedicated fanboi.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Only too happy to accept.

I'd like to thank my parents, for putting up with me for all those years when I was a teenage delinquent and for visiting me often when I was incarcerated in the remand centre.
    Also my girlfriend, Peggy Sue, who bore our eleven children without a whimper....except when she was in labour, which was often.
    My publican, George, deserves a mention for throwing me out gently every night that I was blind drunk....which was often.
    Then of course, mention must be made, and thanks given, to Tom, Dick, Harry, John and Brad for producing Run 8 in the first place and for the updates which have helped to make my life worth living after so many years being hunted by aliens wanting to probe me.

This is for you.......
    award.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, brilliant

So it was you who married Peggy Sue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAJbEcyyYA

One of my favourites.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    So it was you who married Peggy Sue....
    You know, that must've been sitting in my subconscious when I used the name, Mike. Isn't that odd?!

But then, I present a radio program twice a week and it is mostly 1960's pop which I play, so maybe it's not surprising that the name "Peggy Sue" popped into my head!

Weird Bruce, i think you have some sort of telepathic kinetic energy going on there buddy.

Nice one in regards the radio proggie presentation. 50's 60's and early 70's pop and rock is all i listen too.

As long as Peggy Sue only popped into your head and not into your bed. That's cool, i couldn't live with that.

Mike.