Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Run8 V2 Bakersfield Sub release

Nope, this isn't getting a buy from me and at this point everything is optional now.

My memory is not the greatest but I do remember some quotes and I am paraphrasing here, so don't take it word for word.

John mentioned something about thinking it would be great to open up the editors for people to play with. I have no idea what this meant but just a simple spawn point option would make this an easy buy. The closest spawn point you can run (non-prototypical) is off the UP at Highland. Sure you can restrict it to BNSF only and fleet to your heart's content WB onto the double track. EB movements can go in the ditch at Sandcut for all I care. That would give you 100 percent operation at BNSF Bakerfield and you could switch Edison if you wanted.

The issue is fleeting trains cause backlogs especially when climbing out of Mojave. This is where if a high speed IM gets spawned into a lunker it is going to slow everyting down behind it if you choose to simply ignore it. Even prototypical traffic levels for BNSF Bakersfield would wind up getting a slow manifest followed by bursts of WB traffic behind it most of which would be following yellows into your operation area (not prototypical, and not by any means ideal).

The other quote I recall hearing was that smaller regions were coming. You can add V3, but that is obvious. Then add the other dinger about 3rd party developers coming on board. Really?

Now I'm in no shapre to run a server in my internet setup any longer so it's not about me running a server. But since I did run one I can tell you we are now right back at the same issue small servers had and that is inability to compete without pay to play. In other words only the servers that get all the add on routes and have the biggest amount of turnouts of human manpower can operate it properly (and even that is a stretch).

The last server I ran on which was the SW server was fun, but way undermanned to run at prototypical levels. This is only going to make it more difficult for them to compete. As for single player, unless you don't care about operations (which apparently is the majority these days) then your basically down to little or no options for proper operations even in a limited setting. NE can do it because it has more spawn points if you like double track railroading. SE has a few options available.

Yes the physics are the best out there, but at one time as real as it gets also meant it's operations. The only way to achieve this now is being part of a big server, period. If that doesn't bother you please disregard my little rant. But that used to be Run8's best quality imho.

Anyways nothing much else to say about it. I'm sure it looks pretty and is fun for many. Enjoy, I'll pass.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Whinge whinge moan moan, you sound like a Pom, Bruce.
    Well, I'm not as whiny as some others on here, Mike!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ...... If that doesn't bother you please disregard my little rant....
    Disregarded.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

just ran it end to end from kern jct. to n/of fresno to the switch at hammond.

outstanding route as far as i am concerned. there are a LOT of industries to keep people busy, the scenery is good as it depicts the agriculture area very well, a lot of road crossings to blow the horn for, small and large towns to run through, and it has some curves and speed restrictions.

oh, and it is a great route to run amtrak on with great looking amtrak stations..............

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Well, I'm not as whiny as some others on here, Mike!
    Ain't that the truth, buddy.

But i am not a Pom.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    .....But i am not a Pom.
    Oh! Very true!
    I had overlooked that slight difference.
    But we did have Welsh emigrants back in the early days of settlement; they were convicts, just like the Poms.

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    ......... the scenery is good as it depicts the agriculture area very well, ...
    Yes, it certainly does.
    I kept wanting to get out and grab a bag of oranges!

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Oh! Very true!
    I had overlooked that slight difference.
    But we did have Welsh emigrants back in the early days of settlement; they were convicts, just like the Poms.
    Definitely my ancestors then Bruce, if they were convicts.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

this yank really enjoyed the six nations rugby. congrats to an impressive wales team.........

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    this yank really enjoyed the six nations rugby. congrats to an impressive wales team.........

Thanks very much buddy. Just a shame rugby union isn't bigger in the US.

There is massive potential for a successful US national team.