Thread: Waiting Point in ACTIVITY file in ConText Editor

Question Waiting Point in ACTIVITY file in ConText Editor

I am not sure what is the word for " Waiting Point " in ACT file of one route in ConText Editor as I just want to change the seconds to reduce the waiting time. I look through the ACT file in Context Editor and don't see any like the word " Waiting Point " Is there another word for this or do I have to go back to Microsoft Train Simulator Editors and Tools Activity program to change the time of Waiting Point in ACT File? That will save my time to change the time in ConText Editor if not then go longer to do the changes in Microsoft Train Simulator Editors and Tools Activity program.

John

Hi John,

You've raised a good question; 'where is wp data stored?' I've just finished searching for 'wait' in all the sims Act, Path, Service and Traffic files and no hits except platform wait time.

I'm on a Win 10 system ant the act editor runs fine UNLESS I have a bad or missing consist. Then it crashes with no explaination.

Fot your problem I'd suggest MOVING all four folders Activity, Services, Path and Traffic to a location removed from your MSTS folders. Your desktop is a logical place to temporaraly storing them.
    Then make four new empty folders replacing the moved folders with new empty folders with the same names as the ones you just moved to the desktop.
    Now you have a bare bones no nothing trainsim installation. Lets see if your Activity Editor will start now with no anything in there.

The plan would be to make a little test activity, short path, short consist and see if you can run it in the sim. To fix bugs like you have you must start with the most simple install possible then work your way up.
    Once you are able to run the editor you should move ONE activity and its associated path and consist file into the empty ones you made in the sim installation. One-at-a-time! and then test every way you know how until you're satisified and then add another single activity and it's files back from your desktop storage to the Sim and . . . test again . . . untile you make the move that crashes the editor and prevents it from loading.

Keep notes my friend!

regards,

PS. Did you know in the Context File Menu there is a selection 'Recent Files' that shows a selectable list of files recently edited showing the full path to the file. This wil surely aid you in checking just which installation you're working on. I've been tripped up by this too!
    v
    Last edited by Vince; 03-24-2019 at 11:44 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I believe waiting points are encoded into the path information, contained in the pat file. I have never read of anyone editing a path file directly...although I suppose someone has tried it.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Yes, waiting points are encoded in the .pat file. The TrPathNode lines have this format:
    TrPathNode ( AAAABBBB mainIdx passingIdx pdpIdx )
    AAAA is the waiting time in Hex notation.

You an also use Track Viewer to alter the waiting point time.
    Regards,

Eric

Yes, I see that after seeing more information in Open Rails Manual but not enough information because the manual did not mention how to change the seconds in Waiting Point.

John

Track Viewer has a separate manual. http://openrails.org/files/ORTS_Trackviewer_manual.pdf
    Regards,

Eric

Oh, I did not realize that is another manual beside the main one and will look into this shortly. Thanks to you Eric.