Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

With each post, I'm more and more impressed. I know you got your hands full and keep up the good work.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by amtrak115 View Post
    I have an activity made and was waiting for your units to add to it....hopefully you'll have a phase IV paint scheme for the 1995 Southwest Chief making the dash across the Chillicothe Sub.
    Already done. Okay, this isn't the intercity version of the Phase IV paint scheme, but you get the idea...

SFCAN818.jpg

And here's the phase III unit on the newest version of the model. I'll need to do some merging and mixing before I get these off to Kyle for the last time.

SFCAN815.jpg

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Already done. Okay, this isn't the intercity version of the Phase IV paint scheme, but you get the idea...

SFCAN818.jpg

And here's the phase III unit on the newest version of the model. I'll need to do some merging and mixing before I get these off to Kyle for the last time.

SFCAN815.jpg
    Who cares?
    Those are great models!

Thanks for the compliments, but I do care that it's in the Northeast Corridor version of the Phase IV scheme. The Intercity Scheme is correct for units used outside the northeast, and it's a simple mod to turn that into the Intercity version of Phase IV.

He wanted to use them to power the 1995 Southwest Chief, so they need to be P40s and P42s in Intercity Livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/5632/44281372190
    Last edited by SD40-2; 07-28-2020 at 01:17 AM.

The -40 and -42 variants only need minor changes from the -32 model.

The -40/42s will be released sometime mid August, a few weeks after the dual modes. The -40s have a slightly different cab IIRC, as they have extra gauges (maybe because of the mechanical air brakes?) And I'd like to represent that in the 3D cab.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments, but I do care that it's in the Northeast Corridor version of the Phase IV scheme. The Intercity Scheme is correct for units used outside the northeast, and it's a simple mod to turn that into the Intercity version of Phase IV.

He wanted to use them to power the 1995 Southwest Chief, so they need to be P40s and P42s in Intercity Livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/5632/44281372190
    What was the deal for NEC/Non-NEC paints for P42s? I didn't think they ran on the NEC due to the electrification and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    What was the deal for NEC/Non-NEC paints for P42s? I didn't think they ran on the NEC due to the electrification and all.
    I think it was to differentiate between trains used on the east coast, and the trains on the west coast. But they share common elements, creating a unified flavor to the system.

The way the P42s were procured were as purchases from the different "service districts" Amtrak was testing out using. So units 101-111 (IIRC) were procured by the NEC based district, and as such got the NE Direct version of the scheme as worn by the dual modes. This was why when delivered, certain units tended to stay assigned to certain trains for extended durations of time. The Coast Starlight district were the orderers of 115-124 (again, AFAICR), and as such, those particular units spent a lot of their early lives assigned to the Starlate.
    Founder/owner of the California Pacific Railway, NorCal Rail Shops

Big thanks to all of the content creators out there, both payware and freeware, for keeping this hobby alive!

Thanks for confirming my theory Brody.

SFCAN819.jpg

SFCAN820.jpg

Speaking of Phase IV, here's the (hopefully) final version of the IV livery. I transferred some of the details I refined on the Phase III unit onto this one.

I also fixed the back by adding the missing Amtrak lettering, and making the sand fill hatches blue.

So far, the Early Genesis Phase III units will be 707 and 705, Phase IV units will be 711 and 710. Kyle will fill in the gaps with the Phase IVs and the Phase III classic Empire Service units.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 07-28-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Damn fine work, Parker!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.