Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Okay, it's been a few days, and staying true to my word, I'm going to keep posting. I didn't make nearly as much progress this week as I would have liked; the UV mapping process is extremely daunting. There's good news and there's not so good news.

The good news is: The main body panels (sides, bottom, top, front, rear) are mapped out, and are nicely lined up to make for easy painting.

The bad news: There's lots of little pieces that I can't just splotch out, like the sides of the handrail insets, the edges of the grilles and that sort of thing. It's a slow process to figure out where and how to place these to not make it a total pain in the arse to paint.

In terms of shading - this is something I haven't really done before so I'm taking my time, but I started a rough livery just to figure out where things will go. None of this is final product worthy, but it is something pretty to look at in the meantime.

Wow, that looks awesome!
    Thank you for contributing this truly great model to the community!

Getting more comfortable this afternoon. The striping is still a bit too narrow, but it's definitely coming together in a tangible way. Excited!

I promise, last one today!

Off to a very good start sir.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Got the couplers mapped out, started work on the trucks, got the plow started... Also mocked up a Phase V scheme, since that's the most common color scheme so easier to get an idea how it's looking.

I didn't bother to change the plow or trucks texture for the quick render, so ignore that. The doors still aren't on the template since I have to figure out how to put them on the same template and keep them as separate objects so they can be animated. The Phase V unit looks too... Clean. Weathering will have to on at some point.

Amtrak Blue looks far too light on the Phase V engine, playing around, I think this looks better, even though it's a totally different shade of blue:

Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 04-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Excellent work!

Still some excellent work sir,

I do have a few comments.

1. For some reason, the area by the nose looks rather funky, like it got un-smoothed during the mapping process. Could you please take a look at that?

2. The doors don't have to be a separate part of the texture, and you can just map the front of the door to where it would be on the main body. Or am I misreading something..?

I think you know this already, but here's the rear of a Dual-Mode Genesis.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_amtk706.jpg
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Still some excellent work sir,

For some reason, the area by the nose looks rather funky, like it got un-smoothed during the mapping process. Could you please take a look at that?

The doors don't have to be a separate part of the texture, and you can just map the front of the door to where it would be on the main body. Or am I misreading something..?
    I'll take a look at the smoothing - it doesn't appear to happen when I did a test import into the simulator.

The problem with the doors right now is that they're a separate object, that needs to be animated. The only way I currently know how to get multiple objects on one template is to UV map them separately, and then join them later. But if I join them, I'll lose the animation. There's a way around this, I just haven't bothered to figure it out yet.

Does anyone know why my textures are backwards on the locomotive in ShapeViewer? They're fine in Blender. They're not mirrored, (all the numbers and text can still be read) but the right side is on the left, front is the back and vice versa. Can I change something in the .s to correct this?