Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

I'm thrilled to report that I've figured out why I couldn't get anything in the cab to animate.

This is a very exciting development for me as it's been holding my progress in the cab up for weeks now. Throttle, brakes, horn, bell, wipers all animated inside the cab, much more to come. I'll share some screenshots and maybe a video once I get everything textured more nicely than it is now.

I think 3D cabs are the way forward in this simulator and I'm really excited to be building one for one of the most well-known locomotives in history. Stay tuned.

Kyle

Really rudimentary textures, just placeholders to add color for now.

It's a pretty solid start. Is the window really that small?

The angle and FOV of the camera makes it look smaller than it is. Camera is also off center from the seat.

Okay guys - with some help I got the digital displays working. Ignore the font, it's just the default and will be changed.

Still have a lot left to implement, but I need some opinions. These displays are scaled very closely to reality in terms of their size - but when the display readouts are sized accurately they're quite small. If you run a "correct" FOV, it's not really an issue, but I know a lot of people like to have theirs pulled back to see more of the cab. This cab display layout is pulled straight from P42 documentation - but should I rearrange things to make everything a little bigger, or would we rather have prototypical display layouts? The left display will have a different screen as well, with other information. I will probably throw a clock on there, even though I don't think the real display has one easily visible. How should I go about this?

What's the FOV in your screenshot, there? If that's 'normal' FOV, then those are getting too small for my old eyes . If that's an example of a wider FOV, then they're probably OK. Maybe we need a 'lean forward and squint' button!

41 degrees, I think. I would probably run mine a bit less, 37 or 38, but I think even at that size they're a bit small. My eyes can read it fine but I know that's not going to be the case for most. I'm just not sure how I want to go about solving it!

Kyle

Do 3D cabs still retain the left-arrow/right-arrow 'look out the window/shift seats' function that 2D cabs have? I have some locos, don't recall whose, that substituted a different front view for the right-arrow view. Basically, press right-arrow and you're looking overtop the controls for a better view out the front window. What I'm trying (very incoherently) to suggest is that, if you can R/L-arrow through different views, one of them could be a close-up of the instruments.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tooltroll View Post
    Do 3D cabs still retain the left-arrow/right-arrow 'look out the window/shift seats' function that 2D cabs have? I have some locos, don't recall whose, that substituted a different front view for the right-arrow view. Basically, press right-arrow and you're looking overtop the controls for a better view out the front window. What I'm trying (very incoherently) to suggest is that, if you can R/L-arrow through different views, one of them could be a close-up of the instruments.

Bob
    Hi Bob -

The arrow keys in the cabview have the effect of rotating your head around. One can use the page up/page down keys to physically move forward in the cab, or use the bracket keys to change the field of view.

What might be a good solution is to develop a 2D cab using my 3D model and have it be set up more like the 3DTS cab. That way, if anything is a bit tricky to read, people can just hit the "1" key to go to the conventional 2D cab. Otherwise, they can use alt+1 to return to 3D mode. Maybe that's the best way, at least for now.

Kyle,

Ah, ok the arrow keys are different; Makes sense for a 3D environment, now that I think about it. Seems like you've come up with the solution, though. . . I don't see why we can't use 1/ALT-1 to switch views. Making the 2D view could be just as easy as getting the 3D 'head cam' in the right spot and taking a screenshot to use as your 2D base texture. Perhaps a thin little strip of windshield at the top so we can still see ahead a bit, but mostly showing the instrument panel.

Bob