Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Sigh. I need you guys to pressure me some more to find the motivation for this again. As with all things, interest ebbs and flows. I continue to learn more proper methods for texturing and modelling, and believe I can overcome the shortcomings of my previous models.

It is becoming clear that no simulator developer has an interest in long haul routes or American passenger rolling stock and locomotives. To truly enjoy a proper P42 in a long haul route with a 3D cab is of huge interest to me, and I was SO close to finishing.

There's a couple things I need to sort out - my digital displays in my 3D cab no longer display (the needle and other animated parts work fine) and I'm struggling with the locomotive door animation. I'm not even really sure who is able to help with such technical faff these days.

Kyle,

I honestly thought you abandoned the project. I'm still very much interested in long-haul passenger trains, as I tend to run them fairly frequently, and I'm waiting on some new passenger cars to be released to the public.

I'm still here if you need any assistance, thought I think the people over at Elvas Tower are more keyed in to the methodology behind 3D Cabs.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 07-27-2022 at 02:15 AM.

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

No pressure from me. This is supposed to be a hobby, which means you should probably be enjoying it when doing it. Work on your model when you want to, because you want to.

As for your door animation issue:

Assuming your door rotates to open, ensure the origin point for the door object is inline vertically where the hinges for the door would be.

Name your door object 'LEFTDOOR:0' if you want the door to toggle open/closed with the 'Q' key in game, or 'RIGHTDOOR:0' if you want the door to toggle open/closed with the 'SHIFT + Q' key in game.

With the animation frame scrubber at frame 0 and the door object selected and in the closed position, press the 'I' key and select 'Rotation' to set the first key frame.

Then move the animation frame scrubber to frame 3. Rotate your door object to the position that it would be when open. With the door still selected, press the 'I' key and select 'Rotation' to set the last key frame.

Now when you move the animation scrubber left and right the door should open and close.

If your door animation is a translation instead of a rotation then just apply 'Location' key frames instead of a 'Rotation' key frame.

Export and test in game.

If you want the door to open slower set the second key frame at frame 4 or greater on the scrubber. If you want it to open faster, set the second key frame at frame 1 or 2.

As an example, in my 3D cab view, I have a LEFTDOOR:0 object with a location key frames for a drivers sliding side window and LEFTDOOR:1 object with a rotation key frames for the observers rotating side door. In game, pressing the 'Q' key has the observers door rotate open and the drivers side window slide open.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marek.

Quote Originally Posted by superheatedsteam View Post
    No pressure from me. This is supposed to be a hobby, which means you should probably be enjoying it when doing it. Work on your model when you want to, because you want to.

As for your door animation issue:

Assuming your door rotates to open, ensure the origin point for the door object is inline vertically where the hinges for the door would be.

Name your door object 'LEFTDOOR:0' if you want the door to toggle open/closed with the 'Q' key in game, or 'RIGHTDOOR:0' if you want the door to toggle open/closed with the 'SHIFT + Q' key in game.

With the animation frame scrubber at frame 0 and the door object selected and in the closed position, press the 'I' key and select 'Rotation' to set the first key frame.

Then move the animation frame scrubber to frame 3. Rotate your door object to the position that it would be when open. With the door still selected, press the 'I' key and select 'Rotation' to set the last key frame.

Now when you move the animation scrubber left and right the door should open and close.

If your door animation is a translation instead of a rotation then just apply 'Location' key frames instead of a 'Rotation' key frame.

Export and test in game.

If you want the door to open slower set the second key frame at frame 4 or greater on the scrubber. If you want it to open faster, set the second key frame at frame 1 or 2.

As an example, in my 3D cab view, I have a LEFTDOOR:0 object with a location key frames for a drivers sliding side window and LEFTDOOR:1 object with a rotation key frames for the observers rotating side door. In game, pressing the 'Q' key has the observers door rotate open and the drivers side window slide open.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marek.
    This is great information!

Looking back at the geometry of the carbody, my biggest challenges were the nose of the locomotive and the UV mapping of the trucks. The Genesis engines LOOK very slab sided and straight forward geometrically, but they're actually very complex geometrically.

The result I got, shape wise, I think still look good, but the UV mapping got a little funky so my goal is to redo that, and the modelling of the trucks. The 3D cab was at one point very close to being done, so if I can sort out why the digital gauges aren't working, I could potentially release that first and people can run that with any Genesis they'd like until I complete my own units.

Perhaps I should also focus on the -40 and -42 variants. There's just no real good reason for dual-modes right now - are there routes in Open Rails worth running on where this dual-mode operation would make sense?

Folks on Elvas Tower helped me pinpoint the issue I was having with cab gauges not showing. The work continues in the cab area. Textures still very much nonexistant or placeholders.
    Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 08-15-2022 at 10:26 PM.