Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Default First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    Some more progress on the texturing, something I'm learning as I go. The phase V unit is better to show this sort of thing, since the black on the Empire Service scheme hides a lot of detail.
    Hi Kyle,

Hah - it’s truly hard to believe this is your first time out on any of this - you’ve got a grasp on advanced topics that take most of years to accumulate - you’re a natural if this is truly your first model in anything... Look’n real good...

Dark schemes are manageable as well with a little extra work - the black you use is a bit darker than anything I would use but you’re painting a shiny new locomotive so I understand... Still - it should be a good bit less than 0,0,0 black...

One thing that helps black in the sim is to add a very slight bit of blue to it - very subtle amount...

Any 2D drawn lines that transition from say a light color to dark should also go from dark to light respectively as they cross the transition boundary - so they are more visible on the dark surface...

Again - the sim needs help - so any details that may be obscured by the dark paint need accent and highlights painted on of a slightly lighter shade respective to how the sun would hit the surface...

Oh - side note in general painting - do you know how to make a 2D drawn panel appear more 3D ? Draw a simple black rectangle on your silver surface - just a one pixel edge line without fill - now duplicate that layer in your paint program and then lighten the copied layer to n off white - move the lighter layer below the darker - now drag the copied lighter rectangle down and to the left or right one pixel - and notice the change.. The line looks far more 3D as if light and shadow are at play in the seam... It’s an old trick - not sure if you’re aware...

Keep at it...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 05-09-2019 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Kyle,

Hah - it’s truly hard to believe this is your first time out on any of this - you’ve got a grasp on advanced topics that take most of years to accumulate - you’re a natural if this is truly your first model in anything... Look’n real good...

Dark schemes are manageable as well with a little extra work - the black you use is a bit darker than anything I would use but you’re painting a shiny new locomotive so I understand... Still - it should be a good bit less than 0,0,0 black...

One thing that helps black in the sim is to add a very slight bit of blue to it - very subtle amount...

Any 2D drawn lines that transition from say a light color to dark should also go from dark to light respectively as they cross the transition boundary - so they are more visible on the dark surface...

Again - the sim needs help - so any details that may be obscured by the dark paint need accent and highlights painted on of a slightly lighter shade respective to how the sun would hit the surface...

Oh - side note in general painting - do you know how to make a 2D drawn panel appear more 3D ? Draw a simple black rectangle on your silver surface - just a one pixel edge line without fill - now duplicate that layer in your paint program and then lighten the copied layer to n off white - move the lighter layer below the darker - now drag the copied lighter rectangle down and to the left or right one pixel - and notice the change.. The line looks far more 3D as if light and shadow are at play in the seam... It’s an old trick - not sure if you’re aware...

Keep at it...

Regards,
    Scott

Thank you for the kind words, Scott - the help and advice from you and the rest of this community has been a phenomenal aid. Some of these techniques you mention I haven't tried yet - I'll see if I can apply it! The blue tinge idea is interesting and I'll bet it makes a big difference. I think I've toned down the colors enough, at first everything looked too "freshly painted". The Empire Service Phase III scheme engines are all pretty new, so they will be pretty shiny. These Phase V units will be all sorts of worn out, varying from unit to unit as best I can!

Kyle

Alrighty folks - I've kept the beta private for a while but I'll share it now to get a wider audience to test it out. Please do not redistribute it anywhere just yet, this is still not "released".

-All of these units can run and drive in the sim
    -ONLY unit #708 and #705 are the newest iterations of the models & textures - 700 and 704 are on an older build (and have some texture lineup issues)
    -As per the prototype, #708 has the newer nose cutout while #705 has the older cutout
    -The 3D cab is partially modeled but nowhere near complete, nor functional (alias your own 2D cab for now)
    -There are no consists included, and I'd suggest using the newest build of TSRE5's consist editor
    -There are still a few known issues, I won't list them but if you see it and it's relatively obvious, I probably know about it and plan to fix it (including the rear headlight locations, they're off a bit after a model change)

There are .psd templates included - they are not final and still have some shading work to do and other remapping/reorganization to do before it's done. There are couple large blank areas because the templates will be universal across the -32AC-DM, -40, and -42, so I need to leave space for their unique parts.

-All of these units can run and drive in the sim
    -ONLY unit #708 and #705 are the newest iterations of the models & textures - 700 and 704 are on an older build
    -As per the prototype, #708 has the newer nose cutout while #705 has the older cutout
    -The 3D cab is partially modeled but nowhere near complete, nor functional (alias your own 2D cab for now)
    -I'd suggest leaving the textures the size that they are - yes, they're large files, but the sim doesn't seem to care and the resolution is needed

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z9...tyzOEv81W6bkOZ

They are for Open Rails only and will most definitely crash MSTS. They run okay on my three year old laptop with no GPU so performance really shouldn't be an issue, but let me know if something comes up.

Hi Kyle,

CONGRATS - a major milestone - while not really my genre - I’ll download and take a gander...

Hah - now welcome to the dark side of freeware - typically the file library at TS is like casting your work into a black hole of oblivion - it goes into the void and if you’re lucky someone might post a picture here or there - I’ve had a couple projects downloaded nearly 2000 times and didn’t even get a comment after uploading - LOL - or maybe mine are just bad... At least the payware guys get compensated monetarily... Maybe your more popular and current genre will yield better results - I hope so - as I know what it takes to do this stuff...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Kyle,

CONGRATS - a major milestone - while not really my genre - I’ll download and take a gander...

Hah - now welcome to the dark side of freeware - typically the file library at TS is like casting your work into a black hole of oblivion - it goes into the void and if you’re lucky someone might post a picture here or there - I’ve had a couple projects downloaded nearly 2000 times and didn’t even get a comment after uploading - LOL - or maybe mine are just bad... At least the payware guys get compensated monetarily... Maybe your more popular and current genre will yield better results - I hope so - as I know what it takes to do this stuff...

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks again, Scott - I value your feedback so much. Don't be too hard on me in terms of the efficiency of how things are put together, still optimizations left and there are certain aspects I've just had to leave "good enough" and settle for a first time project! If there's any glaring issues though, I'd love to be able to solve them.

I am really happy with how this looks in comparison to the other models out there, although I'm absolutely certain third-party painters can take it to the next level!

Kyle

Kyle,
    excellent work on this model! I have tested a "dummy" train on my fictional (as well as a quick blank of the textures, if anybody wants them, I can provide them if Kyle agrees) route, and I like what I see. I understand that this is a work in progress, so for the time being, looks like cabs and sounds are out of the realm of inclusion at this time. I can alias that later, but it's nice to see a work of art like this. I tried my hand at modeling, but with my job as a bus driver, I have little time to do much other than limited track laying and repainting. Good job, and keep up the good work!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    Kyle,
    excellent work on this model! I have tested a "dummy" train on my fictional (as well as a quick blank of the textures, if anybody wants them, I can provide them if Kyle agrees) route, and I like what I see. I understand that this is a work in progress, so for the time being, looks like cabs and sounds are out of the realm of inclusion at this time. I can alias that later, but it's nice to see a work of art like this. I tried my hand at modeling, but with my job as a bus driver, I have little time to do much other than limited track laying and repainting. Good job, and keep up the good work!
    My intention with this project is to give as much back to the community as I can, so feel free to provide any additional resources that you come up with, whether it be texture blanks/repaints, etc. The cab will be done and complete when the model releases, and as for the sounds Nash Gallo's most recent sound pack is far better than anything I could come up with, so I'll probably save myself the effort. Thanks again for the kind words and enjoy

Side note - As a separate download after release, I will have all the Blender source files and textures available to improve the model if anyone would like to. There's no reason for me to hold these back when it's a free project meant to spike interest back in OR development, so anything to help the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    Thanks again, Scott - I value your feedback so much. Don't be too hard on me in terms of the efficiency of how things are put together, still optimizations left and there are certain aspects I've just had to leave "good enough" and settle for a first time project! If there's any glaring issues though, I'd love to be able to solve them.

I am really happy with how this looks in comparison to the other models out there, although I'm absolutely certain third-party painters can take it to the next level!

Kyle
    Hi Kyle,

LOL - you’re model is far far better than my first model - you’ve got no worries in that department - I can tell just from the screenshots... You’ve definitely got something to be proud of... I’ll get some time over the weekend to look... Very very few people really look at model efficiency - it’s just a topic I happen to enjoy - and for a first model - it’s a very low priority...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi,
    I've downloaded your model and think it is extremely well done.
    I however noticed some monor issues that unexperienced users may throw off:
    - In ShapeViewer, the cab doors animate, but instead of simply opening, they get somehow smaller and appear in the cab. In OpenRails, the cab doors don't animate.
    - The exterior sounds aren't defined in all .eng files.
    - The headout view is way too high, somewhere in the catenary.
    - Some textures are missing (?)
    Except that, everything seemed alright to me, though as you said, until distribution, you'll probably have to work on the 3d cab a little

Thank you again for contributing this excellent locomotive to the community

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Hi,
    I've downloaded your model and think it is extremely well done.
    I however noticed some monor issues that unexperienced users may throw off:
    - In ShapeViewer, the cab doors animate, but instead of simply opening, they get somehow smaller and appear in the cab. In OpenRails, the cab doors don't animate.
    - The exterior sounds aren't defined in all .eng files.
    - The headout view is way too high, somewhere in the catenary.
    - Some textures are missing (?)
    Except that, everything seemed alright to me, though as you said, until distribution, you'll probably have to work on the 3d cab a little

Thank you again for contributing this excellent locomotive to the community
    Hey - thanks for testing it out!

I'll address each one of those points here.

I'm not sure what's up with the doors - I'm not quite sure they're named correctly in my hierarchy. If you go to the (5) passenger view, and turn around, the doors don't do that shrinking thing, so I suspect once I get them working in the sim they should be fine, but I'll try to solve that later this week.

The sounds is a problem I'm aware of and have already solved, I was tweaking something 3D cab related and deleted the sound definition and just forgot to put it back in, and then stupidly used that modified .eng for the other engines. That'll be fixed in the next go.

I haven't bothered to re-position the headout view, it'll only take a second so I'll get that sorted.

As for textures, everything is "mapped" and on the template but not everything has a lot of detail yet - unless you found something I'm not aware of so feel free to elaborate!

Thanks for the feedback and I welcome any other comments or suggestions. I will also let you know that the P-40 variant has been built and is awaiting texture construction.

It's finals week here for me at college so don't expect an update until next weekend, but I'll get some fixed up .engs uploaded so people can have sounds for the time being.

Kyle
    Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 05-11-2019 at 11:46 PM.