Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Getting a coat of paint on the unit tonight, the Empire Service livery has nice straight lines that are helping solve the last few UV lineup issues. Then to paint on all the details. Very happy with my progress since Tuesday.

just Wow I can't believe how good this looks! I really love the details you have incorperated into it.

Pretty impressive for your first shot.
    Outstanding otherwise.

Randy

Those of you with sharp eyes will see the bits of progress. I have moved on to the texturing process. The only changes to the geometry that are happening now are small adjustments to help make the template easier to paint on.

For detail nerds - note that this locomotive has the 'home plate' shaped opening. Both variants - the newer 'rounded headlight' opening, and the original nose, will have models.

Adding some ambient occlusion mapping to the trucks and underbody - leaving just tiny tweaks left before I'm ready to start painting a bunch of variants. There will be several variants of the dual modes -

-Old nose
    -New nose (rounded headlight opening)

-Old nose with escape hatch (Metro North units)
    -New nose with escape hatch (Amtrak units)

All will share the exact same template.

With the amount of detail being put into this, prooobably not. And probably not efficiently at best, nor would the 3D Cab be able to be utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    With the amount of detail being put into this, prooobably not. And probably not efficiently at best, nor would the 3D Cab be able to be utilized.

This is correct. The amount of polygons alone will make MSTS spring all sorts of errors. New era, new content. I'd like to get all this stuff included with the OR download so it has some default content.

Quick update: The exterior model is essentially done. There may still be a few tweaks in the coming days and correcting small issues as we find them, but the vast majority of effort is going into painting them. I plan to begin texturing the cab interior in the next few days, and that will be exciting progress to share!

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    but the vast majority of effort is going into painting them. I plan to begin texturing the cab interior in the next few days, and that will be exciting progress to share!
    Are you contemplating having both "clean exteriors" and some "grimy working working exteriors" ( no graffiti for me ) --- keep at it, appreciate your efforts, don't burn yourself out.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Are you contemplating having both "clean exteriors" and some "grimy working working exteriors" ( no graffiti for me ) --- keep at it, appreciate your efforts, don't burn yourself out.

There will be a variety of liveries and levels of wear to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    There will be a variety of liveries and levels of wear to choose from
    coolbeans.jpg
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.