Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Nice work! About how long more before these are deemed fit to upload?

Quote Originally Posted by USASpiritlineTrains View Post
    Nice work! About how long more before these are deemed fit to upload?
    Shooting for no later than August 1st for the dual modes and a set of Amfleets to go with them. The other variants should be released right with them or very shortly after.

Not much visual progress in the cab area yet, mostly restructuring the hierarchy due to changes in the Blender Exporter since I originally constructed it. I want to make the IFDs show 'something' wherever I can. So far, brake pipe information, speed (dial and digital) are all working. Textures are placeholders and rudimentary for now, and the whole thing needs an ambient occlusion bake. I really want to spend time in here getting this to look as good as possible, as this is where people will spend most of their time.

Real impressive!
    Are the slightly inward canted structures by the steps and bogies what indicates dual mode versions? Can't say I ever paid close enough attention to that until now. Maybe because I don't have dual modes in my neck of the woods?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Real impressive!
    Are the slightly inward canted structures by the steps and bogies what indicates dual mode versions? Can't say I ever paid close enough attention to that until now. Maybe because I don't have dual modes in my neck of the woods?
    Yup! They hold the equipment necessary for third rail operation and hold the 3rd rail contact shoes. Usually they're covered in a filthy layer of dirt so they don't show up all that well. Only a dual mode part.

Thanks for the confirmation
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Won't be perfect, but I'm in too deep to tear everything out at this point. Pretty happy with the result so far. Controls need better textures and AO but this feels like a Genesis cab to me. Still needs some objects down below the desk too. But thrilled with how things are progressing in here.

Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 07-12-2020 at 11:31 PM.

It may not be perfect, but it looks great to me. Personally l think you’ve done a geat job so far, and that cab is very impressive.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

this is just amazing. I really like to see if you could make a SD38 or SD35 but for now I really love these well done sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSheare View Post
    this is just amazing. I really like to see if you could make a SD38 or SD35 but for now I really love these well done sir.
    One of the biggest problems I'm facing now is I'm spending a lot of time fixing what I did badly when I started this project. I think I could probably start from zero and get to where I am now in two weeks time if I wanted to start over. I won't do that on this project, but I do think future projects will go quicker.

Once I'm done with these Amtrak bits, one of my interests was doing more 3D cabs that could be used somewhat generically. I feel this is a big part of the experience of train sims, and the fact we're still behind 2D pictures of cabs when we can be in all three dimensions now bothers me.

So I think an Acela cab, a somewhat generic EMD SD-something cab and a GE safety cab are probably next. Then I had an interest in doing some freight things. It's hard to stay focused on just one idea!