Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Sir,

I sent you something that might help somehow, I've had some drawings of a P40 for some time.

Sorry, the PM got misnamed. My apologies.
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Sir,

I sent you something that might help somehow, I've had some drawings of a P40 for some time.

Sorry, the PM got misnamed. My apologies.
    Thank you very much!

You're quite welcome.

The only thing I really ask is for some "as-delivered" versions of them. That's the most ionic look in my mind, and my personal favorite.

The red, white and blue Phase III? That's the only scheme that belongs on them in my opinion, although I have plans to do a couple different liveries.

100% agreed with you sir, though because of the headlight slot, I thought you were going to do the Phase V versions first. Because until sometime around the late 2000s, they had the headlights in a pentagon slot behind some glass.
    Last edited by SD40-2; 03-31-2019 at 09:55 PM.

You're correct in your assumption the Phase Vs are first up - and it's more because the other versions that are out there already have the prism-slot thing on their nose. The package will likely look something like this:

3x P-40 Phase III & Phase V (Old Nose)
    3x P-42 Phase III & Phase V (Old Nose on the Phase III, New Nose on Phase V)
    3x P-32AC-DM Phase III, Phase V, Empire Service Phase III (Old Nose on the Phase III, New Nose on Phase V)

So that's a total of 6 P-40s, 6 P-42s, and 7 P-32s. I like to have a couple road numbers to play with (and how hard is it to renumber a unit once you have the livery on it?).

It's ambitious, but I'd like this to be the go-to Open Rails Genesis for a while to come.

Anyways, some updates. Still figuring out how to smooth some of the nose surfaces. The nose looks like a relatively simple conglomeration of flat shapes, but it's got quite a few curves in it that are really subtle and difficult to notice in photographs. Just a bit more underbody detail and then corrections if anyone notices anything major that's off. I've been informed the coupler on these units is a little fancier than the "normal" one that's on there - that will get corrected.

Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 03-31-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    I've been informed the coupler on these units is a little fancier than the "normal" one that's on there - that will get corrected.
    If it matters, the coupler in question is a AAR Type-F Tightlock coupler, used on most modern passenger equipment.

Also, I think you've figured this out already, but the coupler area just looks kinda weird. The coupler looks tiny compared to the draft gear box, and it seems to be in the wrong spot.

I'm not trying to be overbearing, but these are the units I grew up with in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    If it matters, the coupler in question is a AAR Type-F Tightlock coupler, used on most modern passenger equipment.

Also, I think you've figured this out already, but the coupler area just looks kinda weird. The coupler looks tiny compared to the draft gear box, and it seems to be in the wrong spot.

I'm not trying to be overbearing, but these are the units I grew up with in many ways.
    Thank you! I need the feedback to make it look right! I'm trying an export just to see if things are "working" in general, but I will revisit the coupler and draft gear box. The coupler in particular was mostly just a "quick and dirty" placeholder, so it will definitely be different - probably by tomorrow!

I appreciate the feedback!

You're welcome again. I sent a few more things that might help you when building the can cab, and making the engine file.

I'll admit, some of it could be found with a cursory search, but as far as I know, the drawings I sent you aren't available anywhere online it seems.

Looks great! Are you planning on making the Blender files freely available as well?