Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

Yes, I'll include all the source files in a separate download, so people can improve on it or edit it how they wish. It can only make it better! I think Open Rails has so much potential, we just need to harness its capabilities and push it forward into the next decade. So many people have provided free assets to MSTS/Open Rails for so long, the least I can do is try to give a little back.

I'm having issues with the geometry on the nose at the moment - those headlight cutouts were done with a boolean operation, which created a bunch of n-gons that the shaders HATE. The nose also isn't perfectly flat (it's got a very slight curve) so I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it and keep all the detail before I finish up the cab and start texturing.

Will you allow people to use the model in other simulators as well (like Trainz)?

Kyle, (Is it okay if I call you that?)

If I may be so bold as to suggest you rebuild the nose from the ground up, using the drawings I sent you earlier, and then add the cutouts.

As to your specific problem, remove all the cutouts in the area, then throw on the polygons to create a smooth rounded surface, and then do the Boolean operations. If it goes wrong, keep adding polygons to the curve until the cutouts appear properly. I'm not even sure if I'm making sense right now.

The nose seems rather starved for polys. (I never thought I'd say that, but it seems that way.)

Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.
    Also known as Mr. Two Bits and Mr. Squarewheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SD40-2 View Post
    Kyle, (Is it okay if I call you that?)

If I may be so bold as to suggest you rebuild the nose from the ground up, using the drawings I sent you earlier, and then add the cutouts.

As to your specific problem, remove all the cutouts in the area, then throw on the polygons to create a smooth rounded surface, and then do the Boolean operations. If it goes wrong, keep adding polygons to the curve until the cutouts appear properly. I'm not even sure if I'm making sense right now.

The nose seems rather starved for polys. (I never thought I'd say that, but it seems that way.)

Yes - you can call me that

It shouldn't take me too long to re-do the nose. I'm really happy with everything from the ditch lights up, but the panel that the headlight is in is the biggest issue. I've tried a few ways around my issue, but not the way you suggested. Let me take a crack at fixing it and I'll update tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
    Will you allow people to use the model in other simulators as well (like Trainz)?
    I don't see why not - I'm just developing this for Open Rails, but if people want to take it and export it to Trainz or Railworks, I'll make sure to specify in the ReadMe that people DO have permission to do such things.
    Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 04-01-2019 at 11:39 PM.

I meant I was happy with everything from the ditch lights down in the previous post, my mistake.

Updates - progress has slowed as I have taken some time to fix some poorly designed mesh. There are still places to fix (the pilot needs some attention, and I still need to model the correct style of coupler) but I think I'm finally happy with the nose. This is a difficult engine to model - it looks so simple but there are many little details that make it a very complex shape. I've done an import into the game to make sure things look okay. I just have to fix the orientation of the trucks, they're sideways somehow. Then, I'll turn my attention back to the cab. Opinions, thoughts?

(Edit - the left side of the pilot is missing, my mirror modifier was turned off)

That, my friend, is a vast improvement. Just some smoothing and refining the sharpness of the lines on the sides, and you'll have something there. Don't forget to make a cutout for the draft gear box as shown in the drawings, and that cutout looks huge! It needs to be less square and more like a rectangle. (Sorry I'm being nit-picky, but considering I do occasionaly build custom locomotive based off of other's models, I tend to get a little nit-picksh at times.)

Edit: I wish I'd noticed that you wanted to work on the pilot a bit more, so I'm probably repeating things you already plan on doing.
    My apologies again sir.

Don't know how much this will help, but this website has some diagrams for a H-Type tightlock coupler. (The ones used on passenger equipment, Genesis series locomotives included.)

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...475899782.html
    Last edited by SD40-2; 04-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Opps, it seems I can't edit my post. What I meant by the huge cutout was the hole around the coupler itself, not the area around the entire coupler itself.

Sorry about that.

Thanks - this is great feedback. I'll spend some more detail on the lower end of the nose - I just smoothed out above the windshield as well. I haven't spent a ton of time on the draft gear box, so I'll get started on that. Appreciate the help!

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    I think Open Rails has so much potential, we just need to harness its capabilities and push it forward into the next decade. So many people have provided free assets to MSTS/Open Rails for so long, the least I can do is try to give a little back.
    Exactly - echo's my sentiments... Nice to see some enthusiasm and new blood on the modelers side - taking advantage of all this sim has to offer...

Keep at it...

Regards,
    Scott