Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 197

Thread: First Time Building a Model for MSTS/Open Rails

  1. #51

    Default

    He's planning on making the P32AC-DM first, followed by the P40DC and P42DC.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Kyle, to answer your earlier question, yes the P32s retain their rear window, since they have no rear end door like the P40s and 42s. I agree that it could be the shading making the hand rails look a bit thick, and think texturing should help remedy their look.
    Founder/owner of the California Pacific Railway, NorCal Rail Shops

    Big thanks to all of the content creators out there, both payware and freeware, for keeping this hobby alive!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobwdude View Post
    He's planning on making the P32AC-DM first, followed by the P40DC and P42DC.


    Correct. I don't think it would be too much work to have another nose for the VIA P42s either. If I'm gonna do these units, might as well do them all, right?


    Quote Originally Posted by bwyrick View Post
    Kyle, to answer your earlier question, yes the P32s retain their rear window, since they have no rear end door like the P40s and 42s. I agree that it could be the shading making the hand rails look a bit thick, and think texturing should help remedy their look.

    After looking around, that's the conclusion I came to. The window is modeled on the rear now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 04-06-2019 at 11:43 AM.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Amos, Canada
    Posts
    578

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    Hi guys, I've been gone for a few years, but just getting back into the hobby. I almost exclusively run passenger trains, mostly contemporary Amtrak. I own all of the major payware Genesis engines, from TT, 3DTS, and SLI, but I wanted to build something with a 3D cab and more animations in mind. I don't have a ton of modeling experience, and I've never built a model for use in a simulator, but after about 24 hours I've made some decent progress on a brand new, scratch built GE P-32 AC DM for Open Rails. I intend to release it as a freeware model, with a 3D cab, layered templates, and with it's P-40 and P-42 counterparts. I'm using Blender to make the models. I'm kind of stuck around the underbody detail and the trucks, it's difficult to find good pictures of all of the 3rd rail equipment.

    These models are not going to be 100% accurate - I'm working off of ancient, questionably accurate drawings and using photographs. My hope is that it will look a little better than the older MSTS content (the narrow nose on the 3DTS one always bothered me). Comments, suggestions, source material to help with the trucks?







    Looking good!

    If you need some good pics for references, take a look here http://trainiax.net/mephotosearchresults.php?p_mark=VIA
    And you can search a lil bit on this page, that guy have tons of scaled drawing of many locos models

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DualFlag View Post
    Looking good!

    If you need some good pics for references, take a look here http://trainiax.net/mephotosearchresults.php?p_mark=VIA
    And you can search a lil bit on this page, that guy have tons of scaled drawing of many locos models
    Took a look - some great pictures there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only differences between the Amtrak and VIA P42s is the horn and antenna placement, and the auxiliary headlight. Anything else major?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Amos, Canada
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Except the difference between VIA and Amtrak;

    Radiator air intake should have the same dimension for Amtrak and VIA , VIA have full squared angle for the main headlight housing
    The horn are at the same place for VIA and Amtrak but VIA have a second set of horn called as emergency horn installed in front just over the cab.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Alrighty folks - an update:

    I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out a good UV unwrap layout, but unwrapping by hand has proven to be really difficult, and the smart-UV unwrap (that uses an angle based method to do it automatically) separates the smaller parts of the mesh into hundreds of pieces. I have very little experience in this aspect, and teaching myself could take weeks. If there's anyone out there that has done UV unwrapping before and wants to take a stab at it (or even just marking the proper seams) then I'll send you the model. I don't want the project to stall here for so long - we're so close!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, USA.
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Hi Kyle,

    LOL - yeah - for any given model - I spend 40% of my time on throwing polys - the other 60% is spent on mapping and textures... The polys are the fun part - the rest gets tedious and eats up time like crazy... Welcome to the club...


    Regards,
    Scott

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Kyle,

    LOL - yeah - for any given model - I spend 40% of my time on throwing polys - the other 60% is spent on mapping and textures... The polys are the fun part - the rest gets tedious and eats up time like crazy... Welcome to the club...


    Regards,
    Scott
    Oh, awesome This is my Open Rails modding baptism, I suppose. I'll keep you guys updated. Based on the views of this thread, there are a lot of people watching and waiting... It'll keep me motivated.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, USA.
    Posts
    1,965

    Default

    Hi Kyle,

    Yep - keep posting - whatever it takes to keep motivated - there are so few of us who still model here - it's nice to see others taking the plunge...

    Some useful advice - keep in mind you don't have to literally "unwrap" every part... You want to unwrap the major components that are highly visible to be fully unwrapped - so you can paint details - yep - but you can do a lot with "flood filling" or individually "painting faces" with generic swatches on the smaller stuff... Just search the internet and look for "Free Metal Textures" that may look good on your model - it's a lot of trial an error when starting out...

    Typically - if I'm using swatches - I usually have at least two - sometimes three different shades of the same texture... While the lighting is vastly improved in ORTS - it still could use help... If you paint multiple faces of an object with the same shade - the details get somewhat obscured in the sim - so when using swatches - I paint the faces that gets the most sunlight the lightest shade - and the faces away from the sun progressively darker - it adds a great deal of "pop" to the model...

    The downside of this is if you use the same textures on many parts - you can't individualize the applications for specific parts... With intelligent use - though - it works quite well...

    Regards,
    Scott

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •