Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NS Military Set - Painted in Desert Tan Miltary Scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Don't think you read my question properly? Why would THE RAIL CARS be desert colour?

They didn't send rail flat cars to the gulf did they?
    tanks-train25.jpg

Uhhh... its desert color... Trailer Train upgraded and rehabbed the older green DODX six axled trucks to these colors... That was on the BNSF heading to New Orleans...
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    Trailer Train upgraded and rehabbed the older green DODX six axled trucks to these colors...
    That is true Dave. I do remember seeing a few DODX "Desert Flats" at NWS Earle around the time of Desert Storm. Both on the piers in Leonardo & at the transfer yard in Tinton Falls. I thought it was a bit unusual too at the time. I even remember seeing two of them at Tinton Falls that had "Subdued" markings on it. Unless the markings faded that bad, I found that real unusual.

It was one of those Kodak Moments before cellphone cameras. Between that & a few other once in a lifetime rail moments around here, I learned to keep those disposable 35MM cameras (Remember them?) in my truck.
    Last edited by MMSS; 08-28-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
    - Mark -

Even in that lousy photo the DODX flat is obviously yellow and this Google image search throws up dozens of "desert" camoflaged tanks on a variety of flats in different colours. If the military repainted flats (?) they may well have used the same paint, but surely most flats are leased? Fill yer boots... https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...Q7XkpA#imgrc=_
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

The six-axle flats on which heavier stuff like tanks are loaded are actually owned by the Department of Defense (DODX markings), and to my knowledge are used exclusively for armored vehicles. It's entirely likely that the DOD would have repainted them in a scheme of their own, maybe using paint they had on hand. That tan does look a little dark to be desert camo, though. Besides, how do you hide a train?

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Hi Michelle,
    I know that you work on quite a few things with variety, and was simply wondering if this is still on your list, or if I should pursue other avenues.

Thanks very much!
    Yup on the list right after the Monon Boxcars which are lettered out I just need someone to make a FA for some paint issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The six-axle flats on which heavier stuff like tanks are loaded are actually owned by the Department of Defense (DODX markings), and to my knowledge are used exclusively for armored vehicles. It's entirely likely that the DOD would have repainted them in a scheme of their own, maybe using paint they had on hand. That tan does look a little dark to be desert camo, though. Besides, how do you hide a train?
    well if the US Military is anything like the UK Military they'd certainly use what was to hand. But as you said you can't hide a train. BTW the link I posted contained a YouTube sequence of a BNSF tank train with flats of many different colours so if anyone's reskinning any that would be a good reference?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

You can see in Dave Edward's photo, two different types of flatcars (as well as two paint schemes). Both are in the file library, I believe. Or one is and one is made by SLI

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Title says it all -
    Would anyone be interested in reskinning the military vehicles in the desert tan cammo scheme?

Thanks very much!
    I got the distinct impression that the OP was asking for the tanks and trucks to be painted into desert tan cammo scheme not the flat cars themselves, which is where the focus of this thread seems to have migrated to.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbern View Post
    I got the distinct impression that the OP was asking for the tanks and trucks to be painted into desert tan cammo scheme not the flat cars themselves, which is where the focus of this thread seems to have migrated to.
    Read Post 4....

"
    do you want all 3 flat cars from the SLI set in Desert Brown? Also there is 2 diffrent schemes one is the standard 3 color camoflage and the other is just the basic one color tan scheme."

All they had to ask... then it came to this..
    Dave Edwards

For the record, when I ran the recent military train on Vermont Rail, we had a mixture of flats from Trailer Train, and from DODX itself. Trailer Train was of course, it's standard yellow, however the DODX flats came in a variety. Mostly green, but some brown, some orange. Orange was a strange one, but it was there, and had a heavy "high and wide" type load on it.

However, would be nice to see a variety of colors for the equipment riding on the cars themselves.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System