Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BNSF & NS and also UP.

Default BNSF & NS and also UP.

I could've posted this in the General section, I suppose, but as the questions relate directly to the Californian routes covered by Run 8, I thought I could probably get someone here to enlighten me.

1. Why do we see consists sharing BNSF and NS locos?
    2. On the Cajon system, does UP have trackage rights over the entire route as depicted in Run 8?
    3. On the Mojave system....ditto?
    4. On Needles & Seligman....ditto?
    5. On the Bakersfield.....ditto?

The reason for Q1 is that I am confused by whether it is common to see NS mixed with BNSF power or if it is a rarity.
    Information would help when I create spawns.

Q2, Q3, Q4 & Q5 is so that I know what part (or parts) of the system would see both UP and BNSF, only BNSF and only UP.

Thanks for any info.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

i live next to the bnsf's seligman sub and used to work out here.

both ns and csx power is common on the trains on the seligman sub. ns power is mostly on the intermodal stack trains that i ASSUME the ns hands off to the bnsf in chicago. i would also ASSUME the same thing with csx power. as i remember, the z/q nyclac or the z/q lacncy trains were good candidates for ns power.

the 3x2x1 grain trains sometimes have a few stray csx/ns motors spread about them too. since the grain trains originate on bnsf trackage, i would ASSUME the foreign power is paying back hours owed to the bnsf. i have also seen kcs power on these grain trains.

some e/b manifests (h-barkck) can have a few ns/csx motors in the locomotive consists and i can only ASSUME they are going back to the ns/csx at kansas city.

i have seen a few of the ns's heritage fleet emd/ge's motors out here too.

the u.p. has trackage rights on the bnsf from their w/riverside connection to dagget connection as depicted in run 8.

as i remember, the u.p. also had trackage rights on the bnsf's mojave sub from barstow to mojave but they didn't run very many trains (a few coal trains). i don't know if the u.p. currently runs any trains over the bnsf's mojave sub.

the u.p. does NOT have trackage rights on the bnsf's seligman, needles, and bakersfield subs. however, the u.p. has run "detour" trains over the needles and seligman subs. i remember working on a detoured w/b u.p. intermodal train from needles to dagget where a u.p. crew took over for us.

hope that helps.............

Last edited by goneon66; 04-05-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    i live next to the bnsf's seligman sub and used to work out here...........

hope that helps.............
    Indeed it does and I thank you very much.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

here is an example of a few trains i have seen in the last few hours:

w/b 3x3x2 grain train: all bnsf power

w/b 3x3x2 grain train: lead locomotive consist was a bnsf, ns, bnsf, mid dpu consist was a bnsf, ns, ns, and the rear dpu consist had 1 bnsf g.e. motor leading 1 up sd70 ace

e/b auto racks: 1 bnsf g.e. leading 2 csx motors

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    here is an example of a few trains i have seen in the last few hours:...
    Thanks for those examples.
    I won't feel bad now if I use mixed company power.

@ seagoon
    heres a link - on the top left of the page a map called 'socal overview'. I think this visual may answer all of the questions,
    makes a gr8 reference while operating as well
    https://www.thedepotserver.com/maps/

Quote Originally Posted by ht-57 View Post
    ..... I think this visual may answer all of the questions......
    Perfect!
    Exactly what I needed....thank you very much.

Good One Seagoon, this is one of those threads about a subject that needs discussing, so as to share information on making our trains consists more realistic in RUN8.

Originally Posted by goneon66

1: both ns and csx power is common on the trains on the seligman sub. ns power is mostly on the intermodal stack trains that i ASSUME the ns hands off to the bnsf in chicago. i would also ASSUME the same thing with csx power. as i remember, the z/q nyclac or the z/q lacncy trains were good candidates for ns power.

2: the u.p. has trackage rights on the bnsf from their w/riverside connection to dagget connection as depicted in run 8.

3: as i remember, the u.p. also had trackage rights on the bnsf's mojave sub from barstow to mojave but they didn't run very many trains (a few coal trains). i don't know if the u.p. currently runs any trains over the bnsf's mojave sub.
    With regard to the 3 points that goneon66 mentions and I highlighted

Yes agreed BNSF Q-NYCLAC/Q-LACNCY are good candidates for NS power.

Examples:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/493335/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/691046/

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/468770/

w/Riverside connection to Dagget connection:

UP Intermodals and coal trains on this section of BNSF trackage.

I have a Cajon DVD showing a UP Intermodal rolling past San Bernardino station and the following link has a

UP Coal Train ( Probally CLBSV, Long Beach - Savage Utah ) With NS power at San Bernardino.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/680172/

Not sure what UP Intermodal trains and their Train ID are used on this BNSF Section, need more research.

BNSF Barstow to Mojave etc:

Some UP trains using this BNSF section are:

UP MLVFR/MFRLV ( Las Vegas - Fresno - Las Vegas ) Manifest.

UP AOASP ( Oakland - Spring, Texas ) Autoracks.

UP CSVTR (Utah - Trona) Coal.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/309631/

UP CSVBA/BNSF C-BARWSS ( Utah - Barstow - Wasco ) Coal.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/242040/

Now here is a interesting coal operation for the new Bakersfield Sub.

Spawn Union Pacific CSVBA Coal train at Yermo with power from BNSF or Union Pacific or mixture of both railroads.

Run to barstow inspection yard - hand over to BNSF Re-Tag as C-BARWSS, run to Savage coal transload at Wasco.

When ready to return to Barstow Re-Tag as E-WSSBAR, run to Barstow, hand back to Union Pacific and Re-Tag again to CBASV, Exit Yermo.

LOL I love researching the trains and their operartions and then trying to re-create them in RUN8 as realistic as possible, great fun.

Just a little bit of extra info regarding Union Pacific CSVBA/BNSF C-BARWSS , Coal train for Wasco.

Assign a permanent nice blue engine for Savage industries at Wasco to switch and unload the coal hoppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvBbZh9DTQ

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Good One Seagoon, this is one of those threads about a subject that needs discussing, so as to share information on making our trains consists more realistic in RUN8....
    Thanks for those photos. They really do prove that any mix is possible, don't they?
    I love the shot of the three locos with the Pennsy-livery unit and the Santa Fe "warbonnet" unit.
    My very first train set (clockwork) was a Santa Fe "Chieftain" and that scheme has been my favourite ever since.....as was the Santa Fe railroad.
    I was heartbroken when they went to the current BNSF scheme.......it's completely mundane and boring, totally without any aesthetic value at all.

If anyone from Run 8 Studios reads this, may I please request that you create that scheme for sale? I'll place my order now and pre-pay if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    I love researching the trains and their operartions and then trying to re-create them in RUN8 as realistic as possible, great fun.
    It is now an aspect of the hobby which I've only recently become interested in....thus the reason for my questions.
    Thanks again for your help.