Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BNSF & NS and also UP.

Originally Posted by seagoon

I love the shot of the three locos with the Pennsy-livery unit and the Santa Fe "warbonnet" unit.

I was heartbroken when they went to the current BNSF scheme.......it's completely mundane and boring, totally without any aesthetic value at all.
    The reason we haven't seen warbonnet schemes in Run8 so far, is because BNSF never painted the SD70Ace And ES44Dc in that scheme, however if Run8 are developing the GE C44-9W then we should get to see warbonnet's no worries.

For me a scratched and faded patched BNSF Dash 9 warbonnet is special, they look as though they have been in a war- good solid work horses.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/190597/

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    The reason we haven't seen warbonnet schemes in Run8 so far, is because BNSF never painted the SD70Ace And ES44Dc in that scheme, ...
    Ah-haa! That's right!
    What a great photo that is and I completely agree with this bloke's comment below the shot:-

Great to see we can still get 3 warbonnets leading in 2007! I still think BNSF made a big mistake in abandoning this livery. Beautiful picture.
    Oh well.....maybe they will introduce the Dash 9 at some point. That would be very satisfying to see that livery in Run 8.
    C'mon, John.....break out the coloured pencils and get crackin'!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Now here is a interesting coal operation for the new Bakersfield Sub......etc
    I did so this morning.
    Using a bare-bones "Extra Board", I created this train at UP Yermo then populated yards and sidings between Yermo and Wasco with a smattering of freight cars.

Then I saved it all as a "World" file, and included the following in the description area:-

"An interesting coal operation for the new Bakersfield Sub.

Spawn Union Pacific CSVBA Coal train at UP Yermo with power from BNSF or Union Pacific or a mixture of both railroads.

Run to Barstow inspection yard.
    Hand over to BNSF and re-tag as C-BARWSS.
    Run to Savage Coal transload at Wasco. (Via Barstow-Mojave-Bakersfield).

When ready to return to Barstow re-tag as E-WSS-BAR, run to Barstow, hand back to Union Pacific and re-tag again to CBASV and then exit at UP Yermo."

Thanks for the information to create this service. It adds a lot to the sim to be able to replicate real-world operations.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

One thing which might be important; the length of the coal train needs to be somewhat short in order to fit into that siding at Wasco.

Thanks for the information to create this service. It adds a lot to the sim to be able to replicate real-world operations.

One thing which might be important; the length of the coal train needs to be somewhat short in order to fit into that siding at Wasco.
    Hi seagoon, this crow-eater approves of the fun your having with Bakersfield Sub and operations.

I have been doing a bit more investigation into this operation and who the coal terminal serves.

The Savage coal terminal Un-loader at Wasco is a rail to truck transfer facility. The trucks take the coal to the Mount Poso Cogeneration plant to produce electricity and steam. The 50-megawatt plant was completed in 1989. Electricity is sold to Pacific Gas and Electric. The coal is used to fire boilers to make steam to inject into Kern County oil wells to assist in extracting the oil which has a viscosity similar to asphalt - (thick crude).

https://pes-world.com/project/mt-pos...eration-plant/

With regards to the Union Pacific Train ID you can also use, CSKBS - Skyline to Barstow and CBSKS - Barstow to Skyline.

The reason for this is that coal supplied to Savage industries/services at Wasco comes from two different mines or loaders namely.

UP CSVBA Savage Loader Utah

UP CSKBS Skyline Mine Utah

The following link to Union Pacific shows a small thumbnail map of the Utah mines and you can see Savage load out and Skyline mine named.

https://www.uprr.com/customers/energ...ah/index.shtml

The average length of this train is 80-100 hoppers, You are going to have to split the hoppers into blocks allowing for the runaround tracks and the grade crossings etc.

The Un-loading track and run around are short, so it makes for some interesting shunting moves, and to add to this you can fill the freight yard with different types of freight wagons as Savage Services also did wagon repairs at Wasco for BNSF etc.

Cheers

James.

Hi seagoon, this crow-eater approves of the fun your having with Bakersfield Sub and operations.

I have been doing a bit more investigation into this operation and who the coal terminal serves......James.
    Wow! great information, James. Thank you very much for taking the time to research it and then provide that information here.

Eighty+ hoppers!! Lordy!
    And here I am with a train of empties ready to head out of the longest empty track in Wasco yard...and that only allows for a train of 1987 feet (two SD40's at the head).

How the hell do they get up to 100 cars into that location??
    Certainly a tight fit!

I'll have a bit of fun tonight experimenting with this one.

Oh...the name's Bruce, by-the-way.

Anyone wishing to sim some form of todays ops within Savage's duties forget polluting coal, go with woodchips matching CA clean-air act, & power station having changed-over to bio-mass. Excellent opportunity to utilize Run8s great chip-cars.. least that's what I've done operating SMRY, for a change of operating style. May also wish to include Wasco Waste Management (single-stack-cofc) various scrap types bnd for L.A.Waterfront-China. Also to WA-VAW-Japan, &, Bethlehem Construction & Steel, for which Savage spots cars within yd. limits for Ld/UnLd as need basis. I've also included in Savage duties the spotting of Ivco Pellet Systems within Wasco yd. limits.

James... that mine in Utah shown on map Savage-Loadout is owned by Savage Coal Terminal (SCT), previously known as C.V. Spur Coal Processing & Loadout Facility. This loadout was purchased in 1977 from Utah Power & Light Co. That's the reason for the name shown rather than reference to customer destination away from UT.

Originally Posted by scottmartin

Anyone wishing to sim some form of todays ops within Savage's duties forget polluting coal, go with woodchips matching CA clean-air act, & power station having changed-over to bio-mass.

James... that mine in Utah shown on map Savage-Loadout is owned by Savage Coal Terminal (SCT), previously known as C.V. Spur Coal Processing & Loadout Facility. This loadout was purchased in 1977 from Utah Power & Light Co. That's the reason for the name shown rather than reference to customer destination away from UT.
    Hi Scott, yes the coal operations to wasco were just about over by late 2013 and were down to about two trains a month as Mount Poso Cogeneration plant converted to bio-mass.

I really like your idea for modern operations, sounds a bit like model railroader idea's for freelancing operations - plausible and why not.

Since the coal train was not daily or weekly I will do the same as Bruce has done and make some scenarios in the world tab separate from my main world file and recreate the train operation that way.

Its given me some ideas to create a variety of sessions from the actual coal operation years through to hypothetical current modern operations.

At least with random spawning in created scenarios you get a bit of variety each time you run the session/train, unlike some other train sims which have completely scripted sessions.

Thanks for the information about Savage-Loadout, I know Savage Services/Industries obtains coal from several mines for their operations and stock piles at their terminal processing facility in Price, Utah.

How the hell do they get up to 100 cars into that location??
    Certainly a tight fit!
    LOL Bruce I must admit I'm struggling with this one myself, I did have the thought last night that maybe because the distance from Bakersfield to Wasco is not far, then perhaps BNSF split the train in to two parts at Bakersfield yard and ran it to Wasco as needed.

As I mentioned above, I will during the week look into making several sessions that could be developed and then those sessions split into sub part sessions.

One other way is maybe to have the local RCAL0313 drop cars at Kings Park and then RCAL0317 takes them down and pulls and spots. That way it only receives a few cars at a time and more woodchip cars showing up.
    Work Safe play hard