Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BNSF & NS and also UP.

Interesting comments and information, all of which goes a long way to enhancing the enjoyment of operations in Run 8.

However, my coal train (well, every operating session, really) is set in the late 1990's and perhaps into the early 21st. century....because I like to run SD-40's, particularly those Rio Grande and SP tunnel-motors!

"Biomass" wasn't even a word back then!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

sd40's/45's and cabooses with a "full crew," a great job to have back then..........

Found this interesting study done by the Kern County council in 2011 that gives a quite a bit of insight into railroad operations around Bakersfield and Mojave etc.

Of particular interest to this thread is the discussion ownership of track and track-age rights, along with some nice maps showing the various subs and ownership etc.

PDF is 15MB size.

http://www.kerncog.org/wp-content/up...Study_2011.pdf

Continuing on with this thread and the conversation before about Union pacific operating trains on BNSF rails and because Union Pacific has full track rights on BNSF tracks from Riverside connection to Dagget connection this allows them to access and supply any of their customers along that section of track, so you can spawn some more Union pacific coal trains out of Yermo and run to the following cement plants.

CalPortland Oro Grande Cement Plant

UP CSKOR - Skyline Mine, UT - Oro Grande, CA

Cemex Victorville Plant

UP CSVVV Coal Loadout - Savage, UT - Victorville, CA

Union Pacific also runs a loaded as needed unit cement train from the Oro Grande cement plant to Stockton.

UP RORPTC - Oro Grande, CA - Port of Stockton, CA

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    ........Continuing on with this thread and the conversation before about Union pacific operating trains on BNSF rails and because Union Pacific has full track rights on BNSF tracks from Riverside connection to Dagget connection ....
    Good info.
    Thanks, James.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Many of these California coal trains are being abolished, as the cement/power plants they serve are going to natural gas. Victorville, Oak Creek (MJ), and Oro Grande all will probably be using it in the next couple years, if they're not already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hontz View Post
    Many of these California coal trains are being abolished, as the cement/power plants they serve are going to natural gas.....
    That's no problem; I set my era to the 1990s.