Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original MSTS, and Windows 10

Talking Original MSTS, and Windows 10

I am delighted, to discover, that my original MSTS, works great, on a windows 10 PC!!!!!

Uhh... Okay, and ??

We all know MSTS works well with Win 10 with special settings....
    Dave Edwards

Dave, special settings? Win10 and TS is ok, but specialsettings?
    I hope, the Community can understand my posts.

Michael

Not just Windows 10. Anything after XP, since MS put real locks on the Program Files directories, and really truly necessary for Windows 8 and 10. Vast quantities of discussion of that over the years. See: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-or-64-bits-OS and google "steam4me" and peruse that site.

tl;dr: MSTS will appear to work, but if it's installed in the default fashion you will have unending problems with file access and especially adding content. Must be installed outside of Program Files and Program Files(x86), preferably in its own directory structure at the disk root level, and attention paid to file and folder read-only status (should be: not) and permissions (should be: full access for all authenticated users or everyone). Plus: in Win 8 & 10 AMD graphics can be incompatible with MSTS leading to system crashes - it's a driver issue that can be tweaky to fix; MSTS works best with nVidia GPUs, and will work (mostly) with Intel graphics in Win 8 & 10.

MSTS =/= TS. They're completely different programs. MSTS has not been maintained by MS since about 2003. The MS updates (no longer available from MS - see steam4me) must be applied to fix some significant problems, and MSTSBin applied if you want to run even semi-modern routes and equipment. Google or search here for all of those for more details. TS more or less has been maintained (as long as you are willing to buy a new copy every year or so). Open Rails is another good alternative, that's written for modern operating systems and can directly use MSTS content such as routes and trains.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 04-07-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: permissions...Open Rails...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Open Rails is another good alternative, that's written for modern operating systems and can directly use MSTS content such as routes and trains.
    Let's be honest. Open Rails can use SOME MSTS content and some will not work properly at all, routes and trains. It serves no purpose to exaggerate Open Rails compatibility - there are real limits. Some content can be modified to work, to work better, and some content's appearance and behavior can't be improved at all. Call it like it is from what we've all learned in practice.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Let's be honest. Open Rails can use SOME MSTS content and some will not work properly at all, routes and trains. It serves no purpose to exaggerate Open Rails compatibility - there are real limits. Some content can be modified to work, to work better, and some content's appearance and behavior can't be improved at all. Call it like it is from what we've all learned in practice.
    I've read this type of post from you many times, Dave...so honestly what is your agenda here? You always mention routes and trains that will not work properly, how about some specifics, with documented instances that can be duplicated by others, so a good bug report can be filed. Maybe solutions have been found that you are not aware of -- or the same problems have been noted and there has not been a volunteer coder that has tackled them yet. Or is it that you really don't care if OR improves, or tries to fix the problems you post generalities about. I can see making a personal choice not to use OR, and keep to MSTS --- fine, free choice -- or perhaps you find it objectionable for anyone to post a reference to OR in the MSTS forum section.

I'm probably out of line here, if so, a moderator will remove the post. Apologies for flappin' my yap.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    So far I have found very little MSTS content that Open Rails will not run correctly, and better than MSTS did. No fatal errors about missing cabs, textures shapes or sounds, just a message in the log file that x.y or z cannot be found and Open Rails then carries on running the activity.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi Folks,

I've never had anything I ran in MSTS not work in ORTS...

As for appearance - with MSTS's dumbed down awful 2001 texture rendering that was behind the times when they released it in 2001 - OMG - not even close...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    so honestly what is your agenda here?

I'm reminded of the story of an Amtrak traveler using a 14-day rail pass. After 12 successful days using the ticket all around the Amtrak system, the traveler suddenly encounters one train conductor who proclaims "the ticket is all messed up". When asked for specifics, the conductor offers none. The traveler is left to conclude that the "mess up" is for no greater reason than the ticket was issued by a travel agent and NOT issued by a member of the botherhood.

When the majority of people have very little , if any problems with an application , then the first thing I would suspect is " Pilot Error ".