Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Original MSTS, and Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    - or perhaps you find it objectionable for anyone to post a reference to OR in the MSTS forum section.
    No, Gerry, what is objectionable are the often misleading claims about OR, that it is somehow completely compatible as an MSTS replacement. It may be a "good alternative" for some, but for others it will be a real challenge. For a long time we would see "it's a work in progress" statements, and I always thought that was more honest, more accurate language, when OR fans were promoting.

And I would beg your pardon concerning my own efforts in this regard. I did put in a lot of work, with assistance from others, trying to get the classic Sea View fantasy route to work better in OR, some time ago. If I recall correctly, flashing, strobing water textures pretty much ruins that route when run in Open Rails, along with other miscellaneous, noticeable problems. Nothing could be done to improve its appearance with the methods we tried at that time, and I realized it was a wasted effort, a big waste of my valuable free time. Maybe it does better now, but I've moved on to other projects that don't involve OR.

Because of the constant tweeks and config file modifications required to get my favorite MSTS content to run okay in OR, I only use Open Rails for occasional video production, for the benefit of wide screen video capture. Many times the locomotives aren't running in OR as they should - acceleration, braking, the physics all wrong, but just good enough to get a video done, the awful performance not apparent to viewers.

So if you enjoy OR, that's great. I just wish people would be up front and honest to newcomers about what Open Rails can and can't do.
    Last edited by ftldave; 04-12-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

I've never experienced any issues with any content from MSTS in OR, with the exception of some physics being a little wonky because of the different physics code.

I will say, however, that there will come a day when MSTS will no longer work, so I recommend that we all work towards moving the userbase to Open Rails - it is the future of this game and holding on to the past will only make the day when MSTS doesn't work any more just hurt even more.

We should be developing Open Rails content, with no worries about backwards compatibility, so that we can take advantage of the numerous advantages Open Rails offers. Is there content that doesn't work? Yes, but it's not common, and if we want this game and userbase to survive, we need to embrace OR.

The concern is, if MSTS suddenly stops working in 2020, all the effort in maintaining ancient content is lost, when we could have focused on updating it to run into the next decade.
    Last edited by Strawberry Yogurt; 04-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    We should be developing Open Rails content, with no worries about backwards compatibility ...

Is there content that doesn't work? Yes, but it's not common
    I think you just illustrated my point exactly - for those of us who do want backwards compatibility, who want to run Sea View and other MSTS classic content, Open Rails often can't produce the same experience as the original MSTS, for all the well-known reasons. I've always thought backwards compatibility - and a better degree of fault tolerance for content - should be more important for OR's development and success, but we-want-new-features seems to have taken priority.

And I would respectfully disagree with the opinion that "it's not common".

Not sure what you are referencing in regards to 2020 and MSTS stopping to work - the end of Windows 7 support, maybe? That won't be the end of MSTS. DirectX 9 life cycle may dictate that, but probably not in 2020.
    Last edited by ftldave; 04-12-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: edi txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    I think you just illustrated my point exactly - for those of us who do want backwards compatibility, who want to run Sea View and other MSTS classic content, Open Rails often can't produce the same experience as the original MSTS, for all the well-known reasons. I've always thought backwards compatibility - and a better degree of fault tolerance for content - should be more important for OR's development and success, but we-want-new-features seems to have taken priority.

And I would respectfully disagree with the opinion that "it's not common".

Not sure what you are referencing in regards to 2020 and MSTS stopping to work - the end of Windows 7 support, maybe? That won't be the end of MSTS. DirectX 9 life cycle may dictate that, but probably not in 2020.
    That's fair, but I think the push to get new features and have newer content support them is very important. In terms of competition with other games, TS2019, Run8, and TSW have begun to leach users from MSTS/Open Rails. I know, because a few months ago, I returned to the hobby, and decided on TS2019 - mostly because of the 3D cabs and user experience. But, the expense there to have anything worth running drove me back here, and it's why I'm developing new Genesis units for Open Rails, supporting the new features it has to offer.

If we always look back, we can never look forwards, and when one day DX9 support ends, what are you left with? Content designed for MSTS that runs poorly in Open Rails because we didn't have any foresight. We have the power to prevent that problem!

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Open Rails often can't produce the same experience as the original MSTS, for all the well-known reasons.

I have read this and other similar statements from you for quite a while now, but never ever have I seen you offer substantial evidence of these supposed problems. Without such evidence it is impossible to correct whatever it that you perceive to be wrong or not working. Supposedly Seaview has a problem, what is it and how does this problem manifest itself?.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Maybe someone will ask why there are no SeaView type fantasy routes for Run8. Will that answer provide a clue?

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Hi

I have run SV5 with OR and it is great, no stuttering high FPS and great sound.

If there is a problem with physics I wouldn't know.

Also I have not found a route that does not run much better
    in OR than in MSTS.

Cheers

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

I agree the visuals in OR are great. In particular, always staying at the max of 60 fps with dynamic shadows on display. But transferring activities from MSTS to OR I am finding frustrating. And I'm not talking about the errors in the MSTS eng files that MSTS does't care about!

For instance see

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...975-OR-Freezes

Regards,
    Chris

Hi Folks,

Yep - activities may need a little TLC - however - ORTS “Advanced Shunting” - if you take time to set it up - is a whole new world... Yard switchers making up or breaking down trains - road engines trundling out to grab their assigned train then heading off to their destination - helpers automatically attaching for a shove over the hill and automatically detaching when their job is done - locals picking up and dropping off cars along their assigned route - trains doing actual work - all this - while under AI Control - WITHOUT user intervention - is worth the price of admission all by itself...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk