Thread: Amtrak 5-year plan (2017 & 2018 editions): Key Takeaways and other news

Post Amtrak 5-year plan (2017 & 2018 editions): Key Takeaways and other news

I came across both Amtrak's 5-year fiscal plans '17 & '18 editions, and I thought I would share my key takeaways.

• New Pacific Parlors will be 5 rebuilt Cross Country Cafes (Original Plan)
    • Mentioned that they noticed demand for the revival of the Sunset Ltd's Gulf Coast part, and for the Cardinal to be a daily service
    • Refreshing Amfleet II's, Viewliners and Superliners
    • Amfleet I refresh part 2 to be done September 30th
    • Willing to attempt to appeal to millenials (State services plan)
    • Still working on Acela refreshments
    • Maryland Infrastructures:
      Susquehanna Bridge: Amtrak, FRA, and Maryland are looking for solutions for the Bridge.
      B&P Tunnel: Funding hasn't been secured for the final design
    • Rebuild the P42s
    • Introduce business class on a few long-distance trains

That's all I'll put for there. Now for the news.

Amtrak interested and willing to work with Minnesota for Northern Lights Express. Note: Minnesota said a while ago they want chargers running the route. https://www.wdio.com/news/amtrak-int...press/5275442/

Amtrak is also interested in bringing back a line from Detroit-Toronto. Amtrak/VIA International?
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/3341837002/

If there's anything I missed, feel free to put in your posts.
    Redefined for better content craftsmanship.

Yeah, 2017 is so ancient history...

* Pacific Parlors have been sold
    * Sunset still terminates at New Orleans
    * Amfleets I's are being replaced with what is likely to be Siemens Viaggio cars
    * P42 retirements will start as soon as there are enough Chargers delivered
    * Acela is being replaced

NLX won't happen anytime soon. The route would need to run via Superior, WI, and based on how infrastructure in Duluth has changed over time, it's said the four miles from Superior to the Soo depot would take 45 mins to an hour....

And, now NLX has to compete with $9 express bus service with wifi... not to mention the existing Jefferson Coach services...

https://streets.mn/2019/03/27/could-...uth-be-a-flop/

Never mind that Hinckley Sub. (the Twin Cities-Superior line) would have to be basically re-engineered to handle the 110mph that would actually make it competitive (the current limit is 50, with TWC/ABS governing the line). And yes, getting to Duluth from Superior is a long, slow process. I-35 was built for a reason...

And today, Indiana pulled funding for the Hoosier State, which was the response to the lack of a daily Cardinal...

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    * Amfleets I's are being replaced with what is likely to be Siemens Viaggio cars
    Actually this is A: The FIRST I've heard of this, B: I find it extremely strange Amtrak has dumped all the money in to refurbishing the Amfleet Is as they've done just to be replacing them.. Seems like a HELL of a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Actually this is A: The FIRST I've heard of this, B: I find it extremely strange Amtrak has dumped all the money in to refurbishing the Amfleet Is as they've done just to be replacing them.. Seems like a HELL of a waste.
    This was announced in January. https://media.amtrak.com/2019/01/amt...ridor-service/

All Amtrak did to the Amfleet I's was swap out carpeting and upholstery. In the airline biz, we'd throw out the equivalent of shipset of upholstery and carpet every couple of months due to wear and damage. Amtrak's no different... As cars are scrapped and retired, the seats, carpet and upholstery will go on the shelf to be used as replacements for the remaining fleet.

Keep in mind how long it will take before Viaggo's are going to be delivered.... Amtrak is in line behind the Midwest/California consortium, Brightline, and Via. Those refurb'd Amfleets still have another 4-5 years of use in them at a minimum.

I've heard that the Chargers haven't been spectacular thus far, they've got loading issues and general build quality issues related to handles, weather stripping, that sort of thing.

I'm also amazed GE didn't submit a proposal for a P42 replacement. The Genesis units were quite successful, and other than a higher than necessary center of gravity and generally poor visibility, they were solid locomotives. GE would have had at least 150-200 orders if they had a competitive design, but I guess they're focused on their freight units at the moment.

Also, the Chargers have strobe lights - weren't those removed from the P40s because the engineers complained? Why option them in new units if they weren't popular?

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.V. View Post
    I came across both Amtrak's 5-year fiscal plans '17 & '18 editions, and I thought I would share my key takeaways.

• New Pacific Parlors will be 5 rebuilt Cross Country Cafes (Original Plan)
    • Mentioned that they noticed demand for the revival of the Sunset Ltd's Gulf Coast part, and for the Cardinal to be a daily service
    • Refreshing Amfleet II's, Viewliners and Superliners
    • Amfleet I refresh part 2 to be done September 30th
    • Willing to attempt to appeal to millenials (State services plan)
    • Still working on Acela refreshments
    • Maryland Infrastructures:
      Susquehanna Bridge: Amtrak, FRA, and Maryland are looking for solutions for the Bridge.
      B&P Tunnel: Funding hasn't been secured for the final design
    • Rebuild the P42s
    • Introduce business class on a few long-distance trains

That's all I'll put for there. Now for the news.

Amtrak interested and willing to work with Minnesota for Northern Lights Express. Note: Minnesota said a while ago they want chargers running the route. https://www.wdio.com/news/amtrak-int...press/5275442/

Amtrak is also interested in bringing back a line from Detroit-Toronto. Amtrak/VIA International?
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ce/3341837002/

If there's anything I missed, feel free to put in your posts.
    Thanks for this provided information. It's really interesting how Amtrak is developing its system of routes as well as trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    I'm also amazed GE didn't submit a proposal for a P42 replacement. The Genesis units were quite successful, and other than a higher than necessary center of gravity and generally poor visibility, they were solid locomotives. GE would have had at least 150-200 orders if they had a competitive design, but I guess they're focused on their freight units at the moment.
    Main reason in particular is due to the fact GE is actually wanting to exit the passenger locomotive market, and I suspect rail locomotive making entirely.
    They have made it though at the least abundantly clear they have no desire what so ever as a company to continue to manufacture any passenger locomotives, so.

I also have heard similar complaints about the SC44, however it is still leagues and bounds ahead of the F125, so.