Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rohr Turboliner

I rode the RTL between Rouses Point NY and Montreal, it was substituting for the usual Amfleet consist in 1979. The conductor told me to turn right when I was boarding and I ended up in the PowerClub car that had a "Private Car" tag on the door... but I was told to turn right! Got a strange from the businessman and his secretary when I was walking past, the conductor was polite when he came and got me out of the car! Nice red leather seats though!

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    I rode the RTL between Rouses Point NY and Montreal, it was substituting for the usual Amfleet consist in 1979. The conductor told me to turn right when I was boarding and I ended up in the PowerClub car that had a "Private Car" tag on the door... but I was told to turn right! Got a strange from the businessman and his secretary when I was walking past, the conductor was polite when he came and got me out of the car! Nice red leather seats though!

Paul :-)
    Being a West Coast kid, I never saw the Turboliners. They were a niche item in the Midwest and New York area. Fairly comprehensive wriiteup in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboliner. Also has links to other experiments like the Bombardier JetTrain (in the f/l here) and UA Turbotrain (late PRR/PC era, with service into the early Amtrak era; NY-Boston (turbine with 3rd-rail electric pickup for operation in the NY terminal area and Via Rail in Canada; in the f/l). As noted by another, the RTG version of the Amtrak Turboliner is also in the f/l, so basically this one completes the set (RTL).

Note: the Rohr Turboliner was built in the US with a mix of US and French parts. Rohr was an aerospace manufacturer in San Diego that got into the rail game at about the same time Boeing tried to build light rail cars (they were a disaster in San Francisco and Boston; a Boston version is in the f/l; those were the only rail work Boeing ever did). They also built the original cars in the 1960s for the BART system in the SF Bay Area (their first step into doing rail; some still in use but heavily rebuilt), and the original cars for the Washington DC metro as well. That was the end of the line for them. Rohr also owned the Flxible bus company for a while, and was involved with developing what became the Grumman Flxible line of poor repute.