Thread: Question regarding to the use of Dynamic tracks

Default Question regarding to the use of Dynamic tracks

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding to the use if Dynamic tracks...

Is there an issue or problem in OR performance or TDB if I use dynamic tracks pieces smaller that 1mt length?

Because I am using several pieces of dynamic track (curves) of 0.002 (minimum allowed by TSRE) to adjusts the track direction in areas where I have very long straight track sections (10 to 20 miles long) following the track path of Google maps

I will appreciate your support!

Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

Recent thread on various options and tools to avoid the zig-zag track laying.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-straight-line

Lightbulb Short Track Sections. How short is safe? Can DT be Used?

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigoville View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding to the use if Dynamic tracks...

Is there an issue or problem in OR performance or TDB if I use dynamic tracks pieces smaller that 1mt length?

.................................SNIP............. ...........................Thanks Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk
    Yes there certainly is a problem on any track section shorter than 0.3 meters. There was ( still some routes around that have them) a problem caused by a 0.2 meter section that prevented a database rebuild and also caused random TDB errors if used say next to a turnout. Don't use A1t0_2mStrt track section. Don't use Dynamic Track shorter than ~0.3 meter total length.

Did you know that with TSRE you can manually 'kink' a track section to a more accurate alignment. If you use it on a long >250m section you cannot see the kink at all IF you keep the kink to no more than a railhead width.

To do this, select the track, and change the "Step Value" from it's default 25 to something small like 0.01 or even 0.005. After setting the step value use Rotation (R) to micro-rotate a track. Works both left/right and up/down.

Be sure the TDB Yellow line over the track is OFF for this operation (and for that matter ANY physical track movement)
    When finished aligning, 'Z' to enter the track into the TDB and save.

The shortest good track section you can use is the A1t0_3mStrt section. I see the A1t0_2mStrt is still in the Build 40 of my Global\TSection.dat file but that's just for the existing routes that use it.

And as for very short DT sections? I avoid as much as possible any Dynamic Track except for using it as a very accurate tape meaasure, very useful for constructions of building that follow track curves. Many examples of buildings like this in my LIRR route. (in file library)

Enjoy,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hi Vince,

I appreciate your detailed response, providing very significant information,

I am using TSRE to create very exactly alignment for Dynamic tracks but I used some pieces to provide micro direction to some long straight tracks (micro direction using dynamic tracks curves set up as 0.002)...

Following your advice I will be replacing these pieces adding more meters to avoid using pieces shorter than 0.3 mts...

In my route construction I haven't face bigger issues than..
    1) Carspawn not working - already resolved moving every path side with the num keys.. (I assumed that I could be caused by a inconsistency between worked file and TDB or TIT.. but it was not related and now is resolved)

2) F6 key for platform names not working in some area... due 1 inconsistency between 1 track item in 1 world file against the TDB and TIT already resolved placing a empty item...

But I will prevent using small dynamic track to prevent a new issue...

Thanks again and regards

I have used dynamic tracks in many places on my route using TSRE and so far have not found any problems.
    If you want to use dynamic tracks to give a small angle change but are worried about the short length, then use a straight section as well, perhaps 10 m, before or after the curved section.
    Another way to line up the track with google maps is to lay some 500m straight sections with the start position on the track line, then at the other end use the TSRE ruler to measure how far you are off line. Use trig to work out the angle adjustment, delete the 500m sections but leave the first one. Adjust the angle of this using TSRE and do another trial until you get the direction exactly right.
    Garry

Thanks Garry,

I thought the same about what you mentioned instead having dynamic tracks with curves of only 0.002 I am extending the length of dynamic track (before / after) the curve adding 10mts of straight track...

I haven't have issues with dynamic with the pieces installed now... but I wanted to prevent something before keep going with the track placement...

Thanks for replying

Regards

I will very rarely use 1/4 degree pieces to re-align track, usually placed on top of hills where they will be harder to see. Several of my routes have those shoehorned into corners to ensure track alignment, but they're different radii than most of the corner, so OR won't superelevate them

Regardless of what you do with the 500meter or even the 250 meter pieces, be careful to NOT
    CROSS A TILE BOUNDARY with one. As long as you stay on a tile, use them anyway you want,
    but when you come to a tile boundary, bridge it with 50-100M pieces as much as possible.

J. H. Sullivan

I've crossed tile boundaries with regular 250 and 500m pieces all the time without trouble. The real danger comes from crossing not one, but two tile boundaries (a single piece lying on three tiles). That'll ruin TDBs. Crossing tile boundaries using dynamic track..? I don't know, as I never use it. If I did use DT, I wouldn't try it