Thread: PRR-East-v2 Route Operational Turntables (8)

Lightbulb PRR-East-v2 Route Operational Turntables (8)

I have been contacted by a user attempting to operate the turntables in the just released PRR_East-v2 route using Microsoft Train Simulator. (MSTS)

I'm posting this as I was not clear in the ReadMe documentation;

The turntables will only operate in the Open Rails Train Simulator which is freeware and can be obtained here with all manuals and starter kits. >>>===> http://www.openrails.org/

It's all freeware folks developed by the TrainSim Community.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Vince; 04-12-2019 at 05:18 PM. Reason: title misspelling
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince,

I imagine your ReadMe was fine. So many among us don't bother to read them, and then
    when it clearly states it is for ORTS only, they wonder why------.

You have been working on this revision for quite a while and as I understand, you might
    never have got it done without using TSRE. Haven't mastered track laying in that one
    yet, but I sure like the alignment tools.

Landnrailroader
    (J. H. Sullivan)

Vince it is a great improvement over the original route. I noticed only one thing that I
    wonder about and this may be correct. Although I've done a lot of signal work in the
    1'=1' scale, I have never done work in this area of the PRR or later NS.

When I see those boxes in the track at signals, I think "Impedance Bonds". Usually
    there are two insulated joints at a signal and in electrified territory these are used
    to provide a AC path for the trolley circuit while blocking the DC signal circuit, but
    I was running the Altoona Fan trip, no electrification out there?

Jerry Sullivan, P.E. (retired)
    (signal dept. CSX & later Xorail until 8/2017)

Vince,

Only one thing would improve this route, but to do it might make you eligible for admission
    into the nearest paper doll cutting factory.

When this route was originally done, it was either all or nothing as far as catenary was concerned,
    and since at least 1/2 of the route was not electrified, the correct choice was to handle catenary as
    it was done. If you really enjoy flagellation & hitting upside the head with a hammer, you might
    want to consider Simon Van de Laak's Catmaster program which is in the library. You could probably
    use his version of Virginian no-sag catenary although you probably would need to create some more
    pieces as I have done. If you are interested, I could send you my library of catenary pieces and the
    several database programs that run it. But as I say, there is always the asylum-------.

And no, I'm not a PRR fan.

J. H. Sullivan

Interesting, and not related to the route itself. Except that it's about the size of a small movie download.

It started downloading fine at my normal line speed (reported by Firefox as 600-800 KB/sec). Got about 1/2way through in the first hour and change, and now it's down to dialup speed (below 30K/sec) with the result being a predicted download time (total, including what's already done) in the 8-10 hour neighborhood. Not sure if that's the TS servers overloading or AT&T deciding that Trainsim hasn't paid extra for a good connection to me (betting on the latter - remember, no more net neutrality). Yes, I'm staying logged in, and yes, afaik my 1st-Class membership is paid up. Movies Anywhere must pay AT&T, though, because they get a line speed to me of almost double what I pay AT&T for - a full HD movie downloads in about an hour.

Edit: OK, it's back up to about 100. Might get done by bedtime, but I've left things downloading overnight before ... and I'm really looking forward to the route.

I dunno what your problem could have been. I have a 1st class membership too and download was complete in
    about 20 minutes.

landnrailroader

Seeing the disparity of download times ( download for me was 1min 9sec to completion - with 1st Class membership) shows how unequal the service is for the so called world wide web...now being used as defacto utility to connect to financial institutions, medical, pay bills, manage lifes everyday affairs....it is being treated as a necessity of modern life, but the accessibility is wildly unequal or downright price prohibitive for many. Reforms are needed. Of Course, the current head of the FCC is a complete numbskull when it comes to net neutrality!
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I think the problem is his boss.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.