Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Vince!! PRR-ER V2

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    Working on updates to the 2008 E7s, E8s and PAs in the BLW/ZT PRR 1 pack and PRR 3 pack.

E7s are pretty much done, shown here in 4 paint schemes on the Blue Comet route outside Atlantic City...

E8's next
    Hi Rick,

Look'n good - I have a bunch of your BLLW/ZT packs - one - hopefully small request - when you're reworking any of the hood units - the side windows in the front corner of the head out view could use a few more polys... I spend 90% of my time driving head out - and the way it is on the old model - there's a bit of an unfinished edges that detract from the experience a bit... Anyway - looking forward to whatever you cook up...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Rick,

Look'n good - I have a bunch of your BLLW/ZT packs - one - hopefully small request - when you're reworking any of the hood units - the side windows in the front corner of the head out view could use a few more polys... I spend 90% of my time driving head out - and the way it is on the old model - there's a bit of an unfinished edges that detract from the experience a bit... Anyway - looking forward to whatever you cook up...

Regards,
    Scott
    The updated models use 2048x2048 textures, so the issue is not as severe. I’ll see if it can be improved further.

Hi Rick,

I couldn’t ask for more - thanks for the consideration...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Rick,

I couldn’t ask for more - thanks for the consideration...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hi Scott,

I played around with this a little bit, creating a window frame to mask the jagged edges of the alpha channel. It's not exactly correct, but it was easy enough that creating the actual frame seems like an easy task.

Before:

After:

Looking awesome Rick! I do have a slight question though, which I'm sure can be expected of me for this.
    But with the updates to the E's and all, will there be any updates to the passenger cars? I only ask as I recall ages ago you or Gaetan (Cant remember which) mentioning that there is a general idea/plan to bring the passenger cars up to modern standards with the sim. Will that be part of this, or is that still just a conceptual 'TBD' idea?
    Whichever it is, thank you so, so, so much for the hard work you put in to this.

Hi Scott,

I played around with this a little bit, creating a window frame to mask the jagged edges of the alpha channel. It's not exactly correct, but it was easy enough that creating the actual frame seems like an easy task.

Before:

After:
    Hi Rick,

Now THAT is EXACTLY what I'm talk'n about sir - a vast improvement - I'd love to see retrofitted to some of your other packages as well... Thanks so much !!!

The other advantage this should provide in the future - is ORTS has a work list item to isolate the camera movement in these views - so when you have vibration turned on - the locomotive will have some relative motion with respect to the camera - which adds a great deal of immersion... You'll need to have some of the locomotive in your field of view to gain this benefit...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 05-03-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Looking awesome Rick! I do have a slight question though, which I'm sure can be expected of me for this.
    But with the updates to the E's and all, will there be any updates to the passenger cars? I only ask as I recall ages ago you or Gaetan (Cant remember which) mentioning that there is a general idea/plan to bring the passenger cars up to modern standards with the sim. Will that be part of this, or is that still just a conceptual 'TBD' idea?
    Whichever it is, thank you so, so, so much for the hard work you put in to this.
    You remember correctly, that is my plan, but that is a much bigger job. I decided to do the motive power first, and try to get it done quickly. The modernized cars were already being worked on for B&O "National Limited" and IC "City of New Orleans" first, and, frankly, all of these projects are on an "as time allows" basis. I was really hoping to have PRR E7-E8-PA done by now, because I'm going into a very busy time at work.

.... but that's the plan!

Rick

Thanks Vince
    Installed and worked perfectly......nice upgrade!!!!!
    thanks again................
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

You remember correctly, that is my plan, but that is a much bigger job. I decided to do the motive power first, and try to get it done quickly. The modernized cars were already being worked on for B&O "National Limited" and IC "City of New Orleans" first, and, frankly, all of these projects are on an "as time allows" basis. I was really hoping to have PRR E7-E8-PA done by now, because I'm going into a very busy time at work.

.... but that's the plan!

Rick
    And of course not every plan goes exactly TO plan!! Yeah no problem Rick, I figured as much was the case. Just wanted to clarify for my own sake so I can stop wondering if I'm going senile, haha!

Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    And of course not every plan goes exactly TO plan!! Yeah no problem Rick, I figured as much was the case. Just wanted to clarify for my own sake so I can stop wondering if I'm going senile, haha!

Thanks for the clarification!
    No problem! The other thing that scares me a bit on upgrading these older sets is that in 2008 I didn't have a lot of the resources I have now (like rosters). Example: PRR wasn't exactly, ummm, structured in the way they numbered diesels. A few of the locomotives in the set had incorrect numbers. So... do I update them and the consists? Do I use the same (incorrect) numbers? Do I leave the file names alone, but fix the textures (file BLW_E8A_PRR5802.eng is actually #5837)? I suspect I'll have similar issues with the sleepers... Oh, and I'm sure there are cars in the actual prototype consists that GB and I didn't have in 2008 that we really should add!

A fun problem to have, though