Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering

Default Just wondering

Hello all:
    As there has been a trend towards most "offerings" running the gambit from routes to rolling stock being geared to Open Rails exclusively, are those of us that cannot get Open Rails to run correctly for whatever reason limited to what has been offered in the past? Or is there a conversion out there? Lots of great things coming out that we would like to enjoy, but once again cannot for what ever the reason.
    Regards,
    Ron

Hi Ron,
    Unfortunately, those items described to be for Open Rails will include some elements/functions which are only available in OR. They might run under MSTS or might make it crash. Activities may run, but not, necessarily, as the author intended!

Anyone who can't get Open Rails to run correctly should post full details of the problems/errors being encountered in the Open Rails Forum here, or those at elvastower.com or uktrainsim.com, where the "right people" will see your post and are most likely to suggest solutions.

I should point out that, although I prefer MSTS myself, I accept, as Microsoft marches on, there will certainly come a time when MSTS will not run under the then-current version of Windows and we'll either be forced to switch to OR to run our accumulated MSTS routes and stock, or dump the lot and move to a different train sim!!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 04-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.

I have been working on a FJ&Gv2 route that works just fine in both MSTS and OR. Recently I've been building rolling stock based on photos from the late 70s and early 80s of cars that appeared on the FJ&G and the first few batches worked fine on both but I just found out that a few of the later car packs and the AMT Turboliner I just posted make MSTS crash to desktop for me. I could spend a load of time trying to figure out the cause, it could be anything from a cabview I've used, to sound files MSTS doesn't like, to parts I've grouped together that MSTS can't handle but Open Rail can.

I can spend the time figuring it out or just move on and continue working on the rest of the rolling stock I need to start making activities for the route. I think we will all migrate to Open Rails sooner or later.

Paul :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ronfalt View Post
    those of us that cannot get Open Rails to run correctly for whatever reason

These were your self-reported system specs 4 years ago. Does it still apply today?

BIOS = Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG (Phoenix Technologies, LTD)
    Processor = AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2 threads, 2 cores, 2.6 GHz) (Internal Cache 128 KB) (Internal Cache 128 KB) (External Cache 512 KB) (External Cache 512 KB)
    Memory = 1.9 GB
    Video = NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (0.5 GB RAM)
    Disk = C: (Local Fixed Disk, NTFS, 465.7 GB, 369.3 GB free)
    O/S is XP Pro Service Pack 3.

Hi Paul,

I haven't looked at your model - but have you tried to run it through - the other Paul's "Shape Fixer" to see if that helps with MSTS ?

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

No I've been using PolyMaster for years. I suspect the reason are things line the disc brake assembly that are on all the cars are over 1000 polygons each and if I divided them up into smaller parts the files may open in MSTS. When it comes down to it I haven't run any train in MSTS for years, I've done all my testing in OR. I'm thinking now if it works in OR that's the main thing now.

Paul :-)

Hi Paul,

I'm with you - sir...

Regards,
    Scott

Paul,

Just for grins and giggles I was able to run all of your recently uploaded stock with no problems on your FJ&G v1 under MSTS. I could not run the Turboliner as a player driven train, however it was ok running it as an AI train also under MSTS.
    I keep my old XP system around to run old classic games that I might not be able to run under newer operating systems. I have a Windows 8 system as well but if my XP ever heads south, I find that you can still buy brand new XP computers online just for running those old games so I'll be able to do so until those proverbial cows come home!
    I do enjoy running OR...especially having the weather change enroute feature. OR runs ok on the Win8 system but not so well on my XP.
    Looking forward to FJ&G v2!

Phil

I haven't tried the Turbo yet in MSTS, but I looked at the engine file and it is missing a DESCRIPTION line at the end. Without that it will only work as an AI, I've experienced this problem with other engines. If someone would like to try adding that line, look at another loco to compare, the description can be anything. I don't have time today to try it.. Good luck
    Jim

Hi Jim,
    ...I looked at the engine file and it is missing a DESCRIPTION line at the end. Without that it will only work as an AI...

That's a new one on me - surely it can't be true !!

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : It isn't true! Just tested the default Class 50, minus its Description section, and it runs as a Player without any problem!

Last edited by slipperman; 04-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.