Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: PRR-Eastern-Region-v2 Has been Released

Graeme, I had this problem and found the when it fails and I click on the "X' beside the message it will restart (I use Firefox).

Browsers make a difference in successful restarts. I could never get it to restart with one 32 bit browser, but restarts always worked with another 64 bit one. I had to restart it close to 10 times to get that entire PRR route down successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by X3DD3X View Post
    When only reaching approx 50mb at 30kbs when trying to download PRR-Eastern-Region-v2 the file comes to a halt and cannot resume, this has occurred at least five times.

Is the solution to become a member to overcome this issue?

Thanks Graeme
    The short answer is, yes, become a paid ("First Class") member. If you have broadband or even just fast internet, as a paid member you can use what's available rather than being throttled to at most 2 streams of (iirc) 15-20KB/sec.

It's still no panacea. I have slow (by world standards) internet: contract rate of 6 megabits/sec (roughly 750 KB/sec). It will often deliver up to 1000 KB/sec for short bursts. Long downloads, however, usually throttle after the first 5-10 minutes, and most of my download of PRRERV2 ran at 50-150KB/sec. I don't think that's Trainsim throttling me; it's probably AT&T because it has happened from other data sources too. It took me about 3 hours to download the route.

Even after AT&T's throttling, that's better than the Trainsim-throttled (15-20KB/connection, 2 connections maximum) data rate you get as an unpaid member, and can make a real difference in whether your download completes or not.

There are intermediate options, like using Pale Moon which still supports the old-style Firefox extensions including the DownThemAll download manager to maximize throughput from the 2 throttled connections you're allowed as a Plain Old Member. It might not be worthwhile to chase down some alternative browser like that and install it just so you can download the occasional large file a bit quicker.

And how is this relevant to PRR-ER-V2? It's a matter of getting it. The discussion belongs, really, in a thread about How To Download (there might be a very old one like that, from back in the dialup days). There's a reason why -V1 was available (for, really, a quite reasonable price) on a DVD-ROM, and why large routes were (and sometimes still are) split into spanned zips across multiple downloads (easier to re-download the one broken piece than the whole thing). But most people have fast enough and reliable enough internet connections today that those workarounds are seldom needed, and this route is definitely worth the hassles! But there are corner cases...
    Last edited by mikeebb; 04-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Much appreciation for all your replies and information, I used opera without success, I then tried a couple of download managers but still halted without resuming.

I'll try Firefox and see if that helps otherwise I will have to look into the membership option.

Thanks again, Graeme

I am having one problem with this new route. All my signals are showing only white or yellow colors on signals. There are no reds or greens. Is this correct? Otherwise, route is outstanding!!!

AJ

It's almost correct. In the era portrayed in the route the PRR had not started using red signal lights in their position light signals yet. In that era, stop signals showed three white lights straight across.

ok, Thanks for the heads up!

AJ

That is 'almost correct.
    The era is 1950-1955
    1. The signals on the PRR main line between New York and Washington DC use Yellow Position Light signals.
    2. Dwarf and High Dwarf Pedestal signals used Lunar White aspects.
    3. West Of Harrisburg, Pa on the PRR Main Line to Pittsburgh the Stop aspect was changed from three horizontal yellow lights to two horizontal Red Lights for Stop using the exact same signal head.
    The other aspects on these West of Harrisburg signal heads, showed exactly the same aspects as on the signals described in 1 and 2 above.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

am I to asume that this is for open Rails only??? cause its listed as MSTS????? just want to know before i try a download

The Readme explains that if you want to run under MSTS you'll have to make a MSTS Mini Install on your system. Then . . .

2. Move the four main folders from the PRR, the GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES & TRAINS into your newly created Mini Route.
    Allow the PRR folders to overwrite the same named folders in the MINI you created.

3. Create a shortcut to the Train.exe in your MINI.
    Do NOT use the Train.exe distributed with the PRR . . It is a dummy just to allow Route_Riter to run.

If you don't know how to create a MINI Install Route_Riter has a procedure to do that/
    If you don't have Route_Riter then there may be tutorials elsewhere. Use The Google to search on MSTS MINI.

That's it . . . but running MSTS into Philadelphia with it's 5000+ objects will not be a train simulation . .it will be a slide show with single digit frame rates. Running any of the big activities will be an exercise in frustration as MSTS just cannot handle the running of over 100 AI traffic trains and will most likely crash.
    I'd be very interested in your results.

regards,
    vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"