Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wycombe Railway and Joint Line Plus (version 4) - Freeware Route

Default The Wycombe Railway and Joint Line Plus (version 4) - Freeware Route

Really worthwhile freeware route.

http://www.vpris.co.uk/ Info

Free download from SteamSoundsSupreme.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Really worthwhile freeware route......
    But I thought you'd dumped all your train-sims, Mike?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I did Bruce, i re-installed TS2019 and the Wycombe route.

Had about an hour or so running it and then deleted TS again.

I have 18 games on Steam, 3 are train games. The only game that stays consistently installed is Outlaws Of The Old West.

The only non Steam game i play is Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles, of which i own all six modules.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

.....The only non Steam game i play is Il-2 Sturmovik Great Battles, of which i own all six modules.

Mike.
    I remember playing that game when it first came out - the original game, I'm talking about, not the add-on.
    A great combat-flight-sim. Still is, from what I understand.

I have plenty of non-Steam games; the train-sims consist only of MSTS/Open Rails and Run 8.
    The Steam sims (TSW and TS20XX) have been uninstalled.

BVE is floating around on my Windows XP laptop, as is one of the early versions of Trainz. They get trotted out when I go away and take that laptop with me.
    They share HDD space with such classics as B-17: The Mighty Eighth, M1 Tank Platoon II and Indycar Racing II for Windows ("Windy", as it became known.)

Currently, in addition to Run 8, I am playing a little combat game called Running With Rifles.....and it has me grabbed by the short & curlies!!

I got older but I never grew up!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'm currently approaching the northern most extremity of the galaxy in Elite Dangerous (known as Beagle Point), after a semi circular navigation of the galactic rim. Flying directly back to what is known as "The Bubble" (populated part of the galaxy) will take me a minimum of 3 weeks doing @ 2 hours per day on the game. Looking forward to cashing in all that data and getting Elite for exploration!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I'm currently approaching the northern most extremity of the galaxy in Elite Dangerous....
    Did you know that you can still get the original Elite games, Vern?

I played them over and over and over on my C64, Amiga and first PC (a 386DX)........great games back then.

Don't know any of those games Bruce. i only go back 2 years with flight sims, when if bought Il-2 1946 & Il-2 Cliffs Of Dover. Il-2 1946 is the oldest, but also my favourite, with the B.A.T mod added.

BVE you introduced me to in 2001, along with your Australian route. But i don't run that anymore, last time i did it was with OpenBVE.

Trainz 2019 i re-installed last night (21st), it was still a pile of junk. So it was off the PC again by 4pm (22nd).

Mike.

........Trainz 2019 i re-installed last night (21st), it was still a pile of junk. So it was off the PC again by 4pm (22nd).

You will wear out your Delete key!

(I hate this bloody keyboard I connected this morning! I had a "clicky" 'board...an original IBM 'M' Type, which I had stripped and restored some years ago but I unplugged it this morning to try this new soft-touch thing and I HATE it!! With a passion! )

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Did you know that you can still get the original Elite games, Vern?

I played them over and over and over on my C64, Amiga and first PC (a 386DX)........great games back then.
    I never played the original Elite but Frontier Elite II got a huge amount of mileage both on the Amiga and later early PC (a 486 SX!). First Encounters though never worked properly for me though I believe it has been subsequently remade as a community freeware project.

Trainz 2019 i re-installed last night (21st), it was still a pile of junk. So it was off the PC again by 4pm (22nd).
    Sounds like my usual progression with Trainz - you forget how bad the actual driving is, back on it goes to do a bit of route building but as soon as you come to test a route and the same old horrid appearance looking through frosted glass. A promising loco or rolling stock item turns out to use the Red Hen cab (looking at the SR EMU's) or worse needs a dependency from a long defunct site. So it gets uninstalled... again...
    Vern.

I put TRS19 back on because on the N3V forum i read about two promising looking US routes.

Even purchased a years worth of FCT @ just over £20.

Installed the routes, both had dozens of non DLS assets missing.

I just don't have the patience anymore, to play hunt the assets, with my mental health problems and at my age.

The driving experience was lousy like you said Vern. Poor loco sounds, lousy physics, cab and external sway, that looks more like being on a fishing boat in a force 10. Too top it all, graphics only on high settings and it was stuttering and stalling like a petrol engine with diesel in it.

This pc is not top of the range, but every other game i play. Plays on max settings, smoothly and at around 40fps.

I am not frying my processor and vid card for any poorly optomised game.

Bruce i have a drawer full of "delete" keys, for spares.

My keyboard is a clicky one, about 12 years old. I have a new one still in the box, but i prefer this old girl.

Mike.