Thread: Getting Xtracks

Default Getting Xtracks

I'm not an MSTS user and I don't own the program. I just got Open Rails and and I'm trying to load some routes to run on it, but now I need to get Xtracks, which is available in the files area here. But when you unzip it, it automatically wants to put itself into the MSTS directory, and gives a "Path not found" error if it can't find it. So now what do I do?

I haven't tried to run anything with Newroads yet, which I was told to put into the MSTS top-level folder, so I put it in the Open Rails folder instead. I hope that's going to work.

Hi John,
    To install XTracks without an MSTS Registry entry, you need to use this download : xtracksf.zip and 'manually' copy the shape files into the GLOBAL/SHAPES folder.

Do not put the NewRoads shape files in the 'top MSTS' folder - it will not work! Similarly to XTracks, NewRoads shapes should be placed in the GLOBAL/SHAPES folder.

NOTE : The GLOBAL folder MUST be in the MSTS/ORTS root folder, ie, the one which contains the ROUTES and TRAINS folders.

Cheers,
    Ged

The Open Rails folder that contains the program and associated files should not have anything else added to it. Make a new folder outside of the Open Rails folder, call it whatever you like. Then add 4 new folder and call then Global, Routes, Sounds and Trains. In the new Trains folder make two more new ones and call them Consists and Trainset. Then you are good to go.

Xtracks and New Roads will need a folder in Global called Shapes.

Add a route to your new set of folders in the Routes folder, engines and wagons go into the Trainset folder. Some will add their own consists and some will not. Adding an activity to a route will always generate the required consists to run the route, but you will need to locate and install the engines and wagons most of which can be found in the file library here.

That should get you up and running.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thanks both for the help. I'm working on setting the program up the way you've said.

I forgot the last step. Once you have everything set up with the stuff you need, run OR and go to the options screen, and then the Content tab. Navigate to your new folders and add them. Only need to do this once. Anything added afterwards is automatically picked up when OR loads.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.