Thread: Horn swapping help

Default Horn swapping help

I've already got a good idea and handle on changing engine sounds but i'm still drawing a blank on how to swap one horn or whistle for another.

Anyone care to help a man out?

Read this file. It gives you a basic tutorial on swapping horn sounds out. As always, make a backup of the .sms file before you attempt to modify it
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the file but i'm sorry to say that i can't make heads or tails of it.

It doesn't even tell me where to find the files i need to edit.

All it says is "in the horn stream" then it just goes right on into what i can only assume is the horn editing process.

Lemme give oyu a step by step. Open a .sms file, and I'll use this one of the Turboliner's external engine sound for this. CTRL+F and search for 'Horn' until you find a part of the code that reads like this for example:

Code:
    		Stream (
    				Skip ( **** This stream allows the horn to be played at the same time  	**** )
    				Priority ( 6 )
    				Triggers ( 2
    					Discrete_Trigger ( 8	StartLoopRelease ( 1	File ( "x_d9_horn1.wav" -1 )	SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection )	)	)
    					Discrete_Trigger ( 9	ReleaseLoopReleaseWithJump ()	)
    				)
    			)
    You'll only wanna pay attention to the 'file' protion of it where it says 'File ( "x_d9_horn1.wav"

Replace whatever that area in between the quotation marks with the filename of the horn of your chosing!!

For the individual wav file, there are two methods of having the .sms point to it, either direct reference or indirect.
    Direct reference is what you see there, and that .wav HAS to be in the locomotive's 'Sound' folder. Indirect is where it is stored elsewhere, say in the 'Common.snd' folder in your Train Sim directory.

For indirect, let's say my file is in Common.snd, and a sub folder of Horns.
    You insert a series of '../' before the wav file. ORTS/MSTS views a '../' basicalyl as a 'go back one folder'. So, if you go back one folder from Sound you're in the folder of your engine. Go back one more, now you're in the 'Trains/Trainset' directory. From there, it just specifies the follder on there. For the example, it would look like:

Code:
    			Stream (
    				Priority ( 6 )
    				Triggers ( 2
    					Discrete_Trigger ( 8	StartLoopRelease ( 1	File ( "../../Common.snd/Horns/x_d9_horn1.wav" -1 )	SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection )	)	)
    				)
    			)

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Lemme give oyu a step by step. Open a .sms file, and I'll use this one of the Turboliner's external engine sound for this. CTRL+F and search for 'Horn' until you find a part of the code that reads like this for example:

Code:
    		Stream (
    				Priority ( 6 )
    				Triggers ( 2
    					Discrete_Trigger ( 8	StartLoopRelease ( 1	File ( "x_d9_horn1.wav" -1 )	SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection )	)	)
    				)
    			)
    You'll only wanna pay attention to the 'file' protion of it where it says 'File ( "x_d9_horn1.wav"

Replace whatever that area in between the quotation marks with the filename of the horn of your chosing!!

For the individual wav file, there are two methods of having the .sms point to it, either direct reference or indirect.
    Direct reference is what you see there, and that .wav HAS to be in the locomotive's 'Sound' folder. Indirect is where it is stored elsewhere, say in the 'Common.snd' folder in your Train Sim directory.

For indirect, let's say my file is in Common.snd, and a sub folder of Horns.
    You insert a series of '../' before the wav file. ORTS/MSTS views a '../' basicalyl as a 'go back one folder'. So, if you go back one folder from Sound you're in the folder of your engine. Go back one more, now you're in the 'Trains/Trainset' directory. From there, it just specifies the follder on there. For the example, it would look like:

Code:
    			Stream (
    				Priority ( 6 )
    				Triggers ( 2
    					Discrete_Trigger ( 8	StartLoopRelease ( 1	File ( "../../Common.snd/Horns/x_d9_horn1.wav" -1 )	SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection )	)	)
    				)
    			)

Hope that helps!
    I think i've got it but i must ask.
    Do i also need to edit cab.sms file as well?

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post
    I think i've got it but i must ask.
    Do i also need to edit cab.sms file as well?
    Yes, same deal with cab.sms.

The cab.sms is the interior sounds, eng.sms is the exterior sounds. You'll have to edit both. Another way to do this is to rename your new horn files just like the old ones, and drag and drop them into the sound folder to overwrite them. Don't forget to back the old ones up! That method means you don't have to fiddle with the sms files.

Kyle