Thread: Deleting TDBItems; What files are changed

Question Deleting TDBItems; What files are changed

Hi Goku,

I'm posting this here as I've screwed up my passwords on your forum and got called out by captcha.

Example: A user has found a 'phantom' signal object; It shows in track monitor but no world file shape.
    If you could take the time exactly what datablocks are altered or removed I would give me a comfortable feeling.
    And also here to thank you for TSRE. It certainly proved itself and your concept in the modding of the PRR East.
    regards,
    vince

Goku answered me this morning on his forum but I was not able to ask a followup question:

Goku>>>> "Only TDB files are altered. Remove these items carefully, because it can destroy the route.
    This option should be used only for fixing broken route / objects.

Can you please you clarify your answer?
    You say TDB files.
    Does this include the TIT file?
    It would seem necessary to alter both to get a clean removal of a 'phantom' signal and "TDB files" is not clear to me.
    (and yes I am very aware of the fact that using this feature is dangerous. That's why all the questions. I want to be very sure before I use it.)

By 'Phantom' I mean a signal that exists in the TDB and the TIT but NOT in the World file. There is no signal shape but the signal appears in the Open Rails Track Monitor.

Missing-signal-shape.jpg

On the near track I have only a Black Cube displayed in TSRE where there would normally be a Red Pyramid and a Black Cube. The far track in the picture has a proper shape/pyramid/tdbitem icon displayed.
    I'm asking when I delete this lonely black cube does that delete both TDB & TIT datablocks for the missing signal shape?
    Regards,
    vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hello, Vince,
    I would like to show you how the signals are entered in the TrackDatabase.
    As an example your route PRR_EAST_REG-2 is used. The signal PL2int_g.s in ALTOONA.

The entry in the WorldFile.
    I know it's supposed to be a phantom signal, but let's see how it is entered.
    For this we need the Track Item Id's.

In the PRR_EAST_REG-2.tit

The same entries are also available in PRR_EAST_REG-2.tdb

Here we also find the link to the rail database through the Track Item References.

All these links have to be removed when deleting successfully.
    Now try to find the Track Item Id's of a signal that is not registered in the WorldFiles. Have fun searching.

Greetings Jan

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I'm asking when I delete this lonely black cube does that delete both TDB & TIT datablocks for the missing signal shape?
    Yes.
    There is no such thing as TIT database. It is the same track database. Just a copy of Track Item Table from the database.

Hi Goku,

Thanks for your reply.

vince

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your in depth explanation. I know a so called 'phantom' is missing a signal shape in W file but has good entries in both TDB & TIT.
    I've heard that Open Rails does not use the TIT file, only the TDB is used and of course the data in the world file has to match the TDB. When it does not we have a 'phantom'.
    It used to be we had to, as you say "Have fun searching." but not so any more. If you select in the TSRE View menu the TDBItems you will see that black cube I put up in my post. The black cube can be selected and deleted in TSRE version 0.6794.

This has grave consequences if a black cube is deleted from a 'good' signal as you can see with Goku's answer, the TDB &TIT entries are deleted . . . but not a world file entry.
    Do this with a 'good' signals and you are left with a World file entry referencing the now missing TDB & TIT datablocks for the signal and the route is now broken.

His strong warning when deleting informs the user of this danger.
    I have used the delete the black cube to remove many 'phantom' TDB items during the PRR upgrade but I was very nervous at the time as I didn't know 'exactly' what files were affected.

I've asked Goku to include a properties list for a selected TDBItem (black cube) and he's said he'll work that in on a future release. Good enough for me and now I have a better understanding of what goes on when one is deleted.
    I've never had any trouble in the past deleting but always did a thorough search of the routes databases before deleting.
    I has always worked but as I said I did not haver a good understanding of the process. I do now.

Thanks for your assistance and hope you are enjoying the route.

Best regards,
    vince

By the way Jan, you'll get better video performance if you place a check in Menu >Settings >MSTS Shadows.

vince

Hello Vince,
    Yes, I like the Route very much. You can really let off steam...

There are only a few error messages in the LogFile. That's why I changed 4032 files until now.

Thus my LogFile is cleaned up and I can concentrate completely on the rolling stock.
    If you are interested, you can have a link when I am through with the tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    By the way Jan, you'll get better video performance if you place a check in Menu >Settings >MSTS Shadows.

vince
    I don't want to see the MSTS shadows, never more! I have enough video power for the TSRE.

Many thanks for the good work and many greetings,
    Jan

Hi Jan,

I mean better performance in the Editor.
    If this item is not checked every shape is shadowed! Not good as I was at the time enabling dynamic shadows on track side scenery so not checking the 'MSTS Shadows leaves every object is displayed with dynamic shadows.

It has nothing to do with shadows in the Sim, either Open Rails or MSTS.
    It's just a bother having all objects shadowed when I'm trying to see what objects are missing shadows.

When I was finished with installing shadows is when you may want to disable the shadows in the TSRE Settings.txt file as they do interfere with your view when placing objects especially inside terminals or tunnels.

regards,
    vince