Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too many textures (RE, texture select window, BIN installed)

Colleagues,

In my experience, the main problem is going to be getting the curves and grades right without
    a track diagram. Tim (?) in England did a good job with the Uintah in narrow gauge, and last
    I heard from him he was working on the C-P line in Mexico. That is another one through very
    rugged terrain with more tunnels & bridges than we like to think of.

And then, there is the Virginian, started by Simon and which I am finishing. Would you believe
    132 viaducts and bridges and I am not sure I got them all?. Lots of tunnels too.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Colleagues,

Setting politics aside and knowing that much of that Iranian railroad was built by the US Army during
    WW-II, I would take on the task of digitizing the loops district of it, if someone is interested in doing
    it. I do not know if elevation data (for DEMEX) is available for that part of the world but if it were
    I would also consider laying the track. There are stretches that are beyond comprehensible, especially
    a concrete arch bridge over a very narrow gap in the terrain that appears to have scaffolding in place
    used to support the structure during the concrete pours.

J. H. Sullivan

You can generate tiles with DEM data without DEMEX using TSRE. At present it can only use .hgt files which are available nearly worldwide, though the resolution could be better in places. With a route like that, tracklaying might be the hardest part

DEM data for the whole world is available from the Viewfinder site, albeit not always at the best resolution - parts of Australia for example only at 70 or 80m resolution.

I still use DEMEX for terrain generation in MSTS though have started to use TSRE for distant mountain generation. I find the problem with TSRE for standard terrain is it leaves the tile where you're standing un-terraformed and it is a "one shot" tool - it won't let you move to another tile and try again or if you make an error the first time (forgetting to put the hgt files in the nominated folder) you can't terraform again. There are many instances where you might need to re-apply the terrain to a tile or set of tiles for example if you made a mess of doing an embankment or accidentally cut away half a mountain side - hopefully TSRE will eventually allow this as it is so good for everything else!
    Vern.

You can always re-apply terrain for an existing file using load height button.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    You can always re-apply terrain for an existing file using load height button.
    Thanks Goku!
    Vern.