Thread: Frozen Editor

Default Frozen Editor

Making a custom route and have the track and roads down. Went back and stared the scenery and got about 2/3 done and the route froze up in the Editor. Now the route won't open to run and in the editor mode - it's frozen, or will open but runs about 1 frame per second when shifting views. I've tried all I can think of, aside from starting over. I welcome any and all thoughts on this as I really don't want to re-start the last 60 miles.

Using the MSTS Tool & Editor program that came with the game.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

First, do you have a backup of the route? Second, have you downloaded TSRE5 editor? http://koniec.org/tsre5/data/

When using MSTS RE, you MUST save your work every 3-5 minutes and make a backup of the route after every editing session. What happened likely is the MSTS RE ran out of memory and froze.

One thing to try is to open a lot of non-MSTS programs. Then try to reload MSTS RE.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Did you place a sound source on the opening tile?
    Jim

I highly recommend to use TSRE instead MSTS editor.. for multiple reasons...

1. Prevent having the frozen issues or loosing information as normally happens in MSTS editor.. it requires to be making back up frequently or repeating the progress several times... (With TSRE I create back ups but just for in case but until now I haven't required to use a back up)

2. Significant reduction of your time in editing or creating routes...

3. Effective management of objects to be aligned to tracks (for me using MSTS was a nightmare aligning or rotating objects)

4. Use of powerful tools providing more realism and again reducing your time for route processing... Such as Google maps...other maps... Rulers... Alignment... Multiple selection of objects, and others...

Regards!

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

I have done all the aforementioned, with the exception of TSRE5. TSRE5 won't install on my PC. Say's I don't have OpenAL32.dll (which is indeed installed. I have the route saved at the point of corruption and a prior save about 2 miles back from there. Even tried swapping out tiles and track for the affected area but that didn't fix it. There is sound at the starting tile as well.

A note on TSRE5, I've read where I need the zip file but all I can find is the .exe file.

This is what I did.
    Create a folder. Name it TSRE5xx, or whatever you want. Keep it out of the "programs" folders.
    Copy the TSRE.exe and OpenAL32.dll to the folder.
    Double click TSRE.exe and it will create what it needs in the folder and start.
    Have a blast.

Randy

Thanks Randy, that got TSRE functioning...however, I did have to use the 32bit download even though I have a 64bit system. Now comes a different issue - TSRE opens the corrupted route file but when I get to the last point I was working at, I get a runtime error and TSRE shuts down and closes. Would this be a C++ issue or a Java issue? All my C++ files are current but I don't have Java installed at this point.

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new territory for me.
    Dave

Reading back to your original post it looks like the route itself may be the problem.
    Do you have a recent backup?
    I have OpenAL32.dll in my TSRE folder, Windows\System32 folder and Windows\SysWOW64 folder. I'm running Win 10/64.
    TSRE uses the OpenAL32.dll file in the TSRE folder just to run the install routine. And I'm not 100% sure but I think the 32 bit version uses System32 version and the 64 bit uses the SysWOW64 version.
    If true then you'll need to have OpenAL32.dll in the SysWOW64 folder. Same OpenAL32.dll just in different folders.

Good luck

Randy

I'll give that a shot later this evening. Still boggy in the TSRE, but at least it opens! I have three different saves for the route. 1: just track and roads (no scenery), 2: Scenery added (2 miles short of the crash), 3:Route at the point of the crash. No issues with #1, boggy with #2 and #3 would crash MSTS RE but opens in TSRE but still boggy w/ runtime error.

Regarding the MSRE, it can bite out of nowhere - I had a route which I was working on in TSRE but wanted to check in the original editor. I found that TSRE hadn't smoothed the terrain correctly so set about going along with the y key to correct the embankments and cuttings. Proceeding well, saving as I went only to suddenly get for no apparent reason, a lock up. That prompted a rage uninstall of MSTS et al, though I have since put it back on. Just important to remember with MSRE we are running a half finished utility which was coded 20 years ago by a company that couldn't get a helicopter to auto-hover (the chopper spun on the axis of the rotor blades rather than the other way round!), so it is kind of a miracle it still works at all, given the advances in hardware and software.
    Vern.