Thread: New 1.3.1 setup

Default New 1.3.1 setup

Hi folks. I have downloaded the new version 1.3.1. and it goes directly to microsoft media center and the exe does not show there. I cannot find one that will open it. I have been using version1.2.1.3766 for some time and would like to upgrade. If someone knows how to change the exe it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Greg

Does it do any good to right click and run as admin?
    Just a thought.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    Hi folks. I have downloaded the new version 1.3.1. and it goes directly to microsoft media center and the exe does not show there. I cannot find one that will open it. I have been using version1.2.1.3766 for some time and would like to upgrade. If someone knows how to change the exe it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Greg
    Downloads do not decide where to go by themselves. Downloads are saved to the last location that was used to save a download. Try again and use the downarrow next to SAVE and choose SAVE AS and choose where you want it saved.
    Charles

thanks for the replies. For some unknown reason it did not make any difference what I did to the download it still came up in micro soft media center which I have never used, always used win rar. So I downloaded it on another computer and got the right icon, put it on an external drive, pluged into the main comp and the setup worked. Thanks for your help. Greg. Just had to do some thinking on my own

thanks for the replies. For some unknown reason it did not make any difference what I did to the download it still came up in micro soft media center which I have never used, always used win rar. So I downloaded it on another computer and got the right icon, put it on an external drive, pluged into the main comp and the setup worked. Thanks for your help. Greg. Just had to do some thinking on my own
    This explanation sounds like what you were trying to say in your OP was that when you double clicked on the downloaded ZIP file, Windows tried to use Microsoft Media Center to open the file instead of a program like WinRAR or WinZip. That is because Windows has erroneously associated files with the extension of ZIP with the M$ Media Center.

Windows 10 uses Settings instead of Control Panel to make changes to file type associations.

• Right-click the Start button (or hit the WIN+X hotkey) and choose Settings.
    • Select Apps from the list.
    • Choose Default apps on the left.
    • Scroll down a little and select Choose default apps by file type.
    • Wait
    • Scroll to locate .zip
    • Choose your app.

Or Use this method:
    Change file associations
    . To set File Associations in Windows 10/8/7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations
    Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.
    You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default.

Charles

Thank you Charles for the different methods to make changes. I will bookmark them for future reference. The strange thing is that doth machines are windows 10.One would not and the other did it right .Greg

Thank you Charles for the different methods to make changes. I will bookmark them for future reference. The strange thing is that doth machines are windows 10.One would not and the other did it right .Greg
    The Win 10 procedure only works for apps from the M$ Store. There are at least 5 ZIP apps available from the M$ store and File Explorer which comes with Windows 10.
    Charles