Thread: SP Oil Cans on Tehachapi Loop

Default SP Oil Cans on Tehachapi Loop

Although created at 1080HD-30FPM, I would much rather that I had been able to edit this at a crisper image quality. Microsoft's "Movie Maker" (now no longer supported) leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, turn your speakers or headphones up and enjoy the sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDCB5QUfJck&t=300s
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hi Bruce nice job with the video.

I like that you did not use a long intro theme with annoying music, just straight into it with text highlight about the train.

I hope you don't mind, I downloaded it at 1920x1080 and the image quality is good.

I see you are using BandiCam and your video is nearly 15 minutes long , just wondering how big is the video file.

The reason I ask is that I have been using OBS Software at 1920x1080 and any video longer than 10 minutes goes over 1GB in size.

I have been thinking about doing screenshots and videos for some of the trains that I have been talking about on this forum such as the UP coal train.

Just looking to expand my Run8 experience and share it here on the forums.

Keep the videos coming.

Thanks

I've always liked Run8, but what impressed me most in this video was the very realistic rendering of light and shadows when you panned from the ourtside into the cab...very nice. Altogether a fine example of an excellent train sim experience.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

VERY NICE. I've always enjoyed Run8 videos WAY over stagnant screen shots. There is just so much more atmosphere in a well shot video.
    The run-by makes it excellent.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Hi Bruce nice job with the video. ..........
    I see you are using BandiCam and your video is nearly 15 minutes long , just wondering how big is the video file......
    Thanks for your feedback - most appreciated.

I just checked the file and it is 793 Mb in size (it is also 1920 x 1080....my desktop rez), so definitely smaller than what you are getting with OBS.

I also found what seems to be an excellent editing application - Movavi Video Editor - which includes a swag of effects and tools, one of which is a sharpening tool.
    The result is a crisper image....not dramatically so, just less "fuzzy", I think is what you'd call it.
    The app is "free", with limited features and a watermark on the final movie and costs about AUS$30 for the licensed version.
    They also produce a screen-capture program, similar to Bandicam and FRAPS.
    I don't mind using the free version of Bandicam.....the saves are restricted to 10 minutes but I find that is an ideal length for a screen-capture video. It's just a matter of stitching a sequence together in the editor. The watermark at the top doesn't intrude too much.

I'll do some more vids. I'm aiming at recreating some real-life scenarios, which is why (in another thread) I asked about the location of the cameraman at the Barstow yard.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    ........the very realistic rendering of light and shadows when you panned from the ourtside into the cab...very nice. Altogether a fine example of an excellent train sim experience.
    Thanks, Gerry.

The Run 8 guys have done a marvelous job with the lighting in the sim. The way they've managed to recreate the real-world effect is the best of all the sims, in my opinion.
    I set the time in the video to late afternoon and it made a world of difference to the "mood", if you follow me.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoh View Post
    VERY NICE. I've always enjoyed Run8 videos WAY over stagnant screen shots. There is just so much more atmosphere in a well shot video.
    The run-by makes it excellent.
    Thank you.....that's very kind of you to say so.

Well, I bought Movavi (AUS$40) and can recommend it to anyone with an interest in editing their videos and game captures.
    It is very user friendly and the most intuitive editor I have used.....and I used a few over the course of my career.
    One thing is for certain and that is Movavi leaves the Microsoft default product for dead.

With reference to Mr. WesternDivision, who questioned the size of the original upload: I took that raw recording and ran it through Movavi, adjusting the sharpness (gave it a "Sharp-Light" tweak), the sound (via the in-built equaliser to boost the sound) and the text (using the in-built text facility).

I then output four different movies; two in MP4, and one each in AVI and WMV formats.

• The first MP4 was set to 1920x1080, 50FPM and Highest quality. It resulted in a file of 7.84Gb in size.

The second MP4 was produced at the same resolution, but with 30FPM and High quality. The result was a file at 5.02Gb in size.

• The AVI was produced at the same 1920x1080 resolution, at High quality setting and at 29.97FPM, resulting in a file-size of 4.57Gb

• The final sample, the WMV version, was also at the 1920x1080 resolution, at Good quality setting and 30FPM. It resulted in a file of 1.33Gb in size. Interestingly, it shows (in the Properties pop-up for the file) a frame-rate of 15FPS.

The first two provide a "better" result than the last one but the difference, when viewed full-screen, is not all that obvious. It's not like comparing a 480 rez to a 1080, for example.

But the editor does provide a lot of flexibility and covers all popular file-types....MP4, MPEG, WMV, AVI and some I've never heard of!

I will replace the original video with the AVI version.
    The image is sharper without being eye-piercing and I think that it is easier to watch than the soft-focus one which I initially created.
    Last edited by seagoon; 05-01-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Originally Posted by seagoon

1: I just checked the file and it is 793 Mb in size (it is also 1920 x 1080....my desktop rez), so definitely smaller than what you are getting with OBS.

2: Well, I bought Movavi (AUS$40) and can recommend it to anyone with an interest in editing their videos and game captures.
    It is very user friendly and the most intuitive editor I have used.....and I used a few over the course of my career.
    1: I had OBS Maxed out in settings hence the larger file, that's fine.
    Interesting that your video file size is 793 Mb because when i downloaded it at 1920 x 1080, YouTube
    compresses it down 285 MB.

2: I have downloaded Movavi and I'm trying it, on my old Win7 computer that I have for internet.
    I do have a popular video editor, on my win10 game computer but it struggles when producing/rendering anything
    over 3 GB.

I recorded a Video for American Truck Simulator at 27 min long and Movavi does produce a fairly large file compared to
    my other video editor with similar settings (1920x1080 High).

Movavi is defiantly producing a sharper and clearer looking video which is probably why the videos are larger in size and
    given that its rendering video easier on my old computer than my other editor does on my newer computer, then I can only conclude that the render engine for Movavi is more efficient and less taxing on CPU etc.

I agree with you about it being user friendly and intuitive, it doesn't look or feel like bloatware.

Reckon this is a no brainer and I will get it.

Thanks Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    .....Reckon this is a no brainer and I will get it.

Thanks Bruce
    No worries.
    It is definitely an easy-to-use program.....very intuitive. And produces excellent video.

By-the-way....if anyone is looking for the upload I did, I have removed that original "Oil Cans" video upload and will replace it with one produced with Movavi but as it is a lot larger I'll have to do it overnight.