Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get all tracks at same elevation?

Default How to get all tracks at same elevation?

I've got a question? How can I get all the tracks on a tile to be sitting at the same height off the terrain? I've added some track to a tile that is on a slight grade and the new track wants to bury it's self at one end. I find trying to use MSTS RE and re Position each piece to result in half arsed attempts at best. Each track is slightly off causing unwanted humps and dips. Can this be done using manual method of editing a world file?

Robert

Not sure what you mean. Tracks automatically snap to one another at the exact same height. If you introduce a gradient, then the next track will automatically at the ending height of the track piece. Longer piece of track, the greater difference in elevation.

If you a talking about disconnected track sections, that's a different smoke.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Chris, I am adding a another not connected railroad next to an existing mainline. This line is make up of individual sections of track. The problem is, This other railroad comes down a grade into a tight curve to run along the existing RR. The track work all ends up buried in the terrain. I can't use the Y key as I either lose the hillside with the road on it or mess up the existing mainline. Frankly I am not sure how to fix this issue? The existing mainline is running a slight grade in this spot. I am working the opposite direction of the highest point of this mainline going down the grade.

Robert

"MSTS Poker" was the utility to micro-adjust the grade so that the new track that comes into proximity of any parallel track beside it isn't buried or floating. Once you find the right elevation then any additional pieces snap in and could run at the same gradient levels as the neighboring track.

Whereas the MSTS RE only increased gradient in .150 steps, poker was what you used to apply the gradient in .001 steps.

You could use END while dragging to adjust the grade in .001° intervals if you still want to use the MSTS RE at all

I will look into MSTS Poker. TSRE5 I don't have a good grasp on. Also some editing in TSRE5 seems to break routes for MSTS. I wish Goku would sort that out.

Robert

Robert,

Amen to your comment about Goku. His editor is great, but I do not use it for track or roads for
    the same reason you state. Today, I used it for something that has vexed me in RE though. I
    have a habit, as I lay track or roads, of putting a marker at the tile boundary, usually a tree.
    This is so I know where to use a different subgrade transfer. Sometimes, the dang tree won't
    delete in RE. I can go into either tile, delete & save, but it is still there if I jump out of the tile
    and back in. Today, though I discovered that selected the tree in TSRE and using the delete
    key & then a save, got rid of the offending tree. You will also find that the alignment function
    in TSRE is great for aligning objects to the track or a road piece. As long as you do not try
    to manipulate track or roads in TSRE you should be okay.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

TSRE won't broke routes for MSTS if you don't broke the route. The problem is that if you use MSRE, then you know when you broke your route because MSRE will crash. TSRE and OR will work fine in most cases even with a broken route.

Goku, Your program does indeed break MSTS and RE when messing with track and roads under certain circumstances. Also editing to terrain and textures seem to cause problems too.

I have noticed while helping a friend that when you redo the distant mountains in your TSRE5 it causes MSTS to crash on loading. You do not write the E and N files I believe. I know this issue derailed our work on a Milw Route update.

If you extract a new route and terrain in your program all you get in MSTS is that damned (Great White Void). Travis and his Minnesota Iron Ore route suffers from this problem as well as the work on the Milw route I was involved with that we canned.

It's time to fix these problems in TSRE5 if you are really trying to be cross platform here. At one point you had stated TSRE5 was a direct replacement for MSTS RE. That can't be so until these problems are fixed.

I have edited the Full Bucket Line route with your program and indeed after remodeling the track MSTS would not work anymore. There was no good explanation for this issue either. All I did was delete and replace some dynamic track with fixed segments from Xtracks.

The second time on a fresh install of the route I tried to just paint under the track. That also crashed the route in MSTS. There is something not right in TSRE5 right now. Maybe it's time for you to go back and review the code line for line and look for mistakes or files not being written correctly?

There is something about TSRE5 that is screwed up someplace!

Goku, Do your self a favor and PM (ebnertra000) ask for a copy of his route and try loading it in MSTS. It is completely done in your TSRE5. Then please explain to the community why the route does not show terrain correctly??? Some of us old hoggers would loved to know the answer to this question.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 05-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Now wait just a minute here.

I have indeed got several projects in the works, and they are all being made using TSRE. It is also true that TSRE does not write -e.raw and -n.raw terrain files. But, really, it doesn't need to, because Open Rails doesn't need those files to operate correctly (I think OR can generate something similar ingame?). Near as I can tell Goku has all but stated that MSTS compatibility is not in the cards for TSRE, as OR really is the future, whatever you might think of it. It's not that TSRE breaks MSTS - Kuju/MS did that for us - it's just that TSRE was never really intended for MSTS. That's my reading of it, anyway...

Oh, and if I made it sound like any of my routes would work in MSTS, I apologize. That was an omission on my part, as I never intentionally tried to make a route work in that sim. OR offers too many possibilities to pass up