Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to align objects to track?

Default How to align objects to track?

Hey all, How do you align bridges that are both elevated and curved in opposite directions at both ends to the track? I can't figure out how to get things to mate up correctly in MSTS RE. Someone has suggested trying this in TSRE5?

Robert

Aligning bridges to straight track is easy in TSRE. Click to select the track, then look in the LH window and click on "Copy Rot", then select your bridge and click the "paste" button beside Copy Rot. The bridge will now have the same rotation coordinates as the bridge.

You can rotate the bridge 90 degrees using the "Rot y 90" button.

If you click "Transform" you can rotate/translate your bridge by any selected amount.

Or you can rotate the bridge using the keys -- Press R then 4 or 6 to rotate about the y axis, other numbers rotate other axes.

I think that your curves will mean lining the bridge up by eye.

Garry

All on curved track. The bridge shapes are build wrong. They were not exported correctly so all of them are above the track shapes. I've been trying to get in contact with the creator of the shapes to see about having them fixed.

Robert

Hello Robert
    What are the bridge shapes you are using, and can you tell me where I can download them from?
    Garry

Raiganj, Uttar Dinajpur, West Bengal, India.

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    Hey all, How do you align bridges that are both elevated and curved in opposite directions at both ends to the track? I can't figure out how to get things to mate up correctly in MSTS RE. Someone has suggested trying this in TSRE5?

Robert
    Hello Robert, I build many bridges fly overs in my route, using a simple trick. But you can easily make bridges on any curve Track or Road in tow different way.
    1. First you have to made Bridge shape same as track length, radius and angle. You can easily make bridge shape in any 3D modeling software if you know the proper dimensions of that track. But if you don't know about track info follow 2nd method.

2. I also following this method to make curve structures, please see my Screenshots, I made this Fly over using Auto placement option. first of all I made a small part of this fly over (5 mtr) then I placed it with auto placement in 4.5 mtr distance with road section. Note if your shape is not placed at exact position you can quickly Undo this action and do again changing position value.
    Only Use this method if highly needed, because this method increase the shape quantity on that tile which will be a main reason for FPS falling (sorry for my English).
    6.jpg
    7.jpg

Here you can find bridges and other things.

NR_Bahntrasse1
    NR_Bahntrasse2

Guys, These bridges are custom objects for the LA Gold Line. The shapes were made by Jeff on request for the Surfliner project I'm plucking away at. I've emailed the creator and must await further response. These shapes are not yet available for public consumption.

I am just frustrated with this project and so probably dragged up something that doesn't need to be public. It's not easy to get objects to line up with track on curves in RE. The other problem is the shapes have to be rotated 180 degrees which makes grabbing them and trying to wrangle them in place a hassle. In fact, I have yet to get those 4 shapes to fall in place. These things are 20 degree curvature and 250 meters long and must go under double track sections.

Robert

Robert, is the only error the height? If so, if the bridges actually fit but just manifest too high or low, in TSRE you could use the copy/paste rotation method mentioned above, then raise/lower them into position by scrolling the mouse wheel. CTRL allows even finer motion.

TSRE will easily align curved bridges/curved track . . . if you know trigonometry. I don't but do have calibrated eyeballs.

If you plan on running your route in ORTS don't get the bridge sectons too tight to the track as super elevation will bury the inside ballast edge.
    I have hundreds of bridges built on the LIRR that I got too tight and will have to reposition all of them, bunch of berms too. If you look closely at the 'F' distance of track above terrain that's what you want for bridge to track/ballast clearance.

Don't get frustrated with TSRE . . . it was for me a steep learning curve precisely because I was so used to the MSRE.
    Old habits are hard to break. After this two year stint 'practicing' using TSRE on the PRR I'm completely sold that Goku has produced an excellent editing program. There are still a few minor pending additions to be done but no show stoppers.

Also be careful when aliging terrain to objects other than track or roads. Some objects produce odd results, the US2Anderson.s is a dramatic example.
    The Ctrl + Z keys undo command is useful in this case thank goodness!

regards,
    vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Vince,

You have just commented on something I wonder about. In my MCOA2 route, which we
    are tweaking a bit before releasing a V2, my checker has been on my case about this
    space between track & terrain. It is not noticeable in MSRE, which the route was done
    with, but quite noticeable in TSRE or ORTS. So just what do you mean by "F" Distance.

J. H. Sullivan