Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Division - Bergen County Line - Carlton Hill Branch

Default NY Division - Bergen County Line - Carlton Hill Branch

I know a switch for me, but as I defrag my drive with the Blue Comet Line Upgrade for ORTS I been working on. I figure I would run Minerman's work of art and to me the only route for TS worth running. OK I am bias because this line was a hometown route for me along with the NYSW's Passaic Branch. So I did a little switching down at Royce Chemical on the Carlton Hill Branch.

The branch of the EL was unique. It actually is the remnants of the former original Erie Main Line. After the 1963 realignment of the main, the .7 mile remains of the line in Bergen County became what locals called "The Hill". It runs from Bergen Junction (Where the Main Line & Bergen County Line use to split in Rutherford to the East Bank of the Passaic River (Where the main line would cross the river via "BE" Drawbridge into Passaic Park & Downtown Passaic.)

The branch would have 4 commuter train per day until 1967 (2 to Hoboken & 2 from Hoboken). The station was later taken down by late 1968. The main customer on the line was Royce Chemical until Conrail days of late 1983. Along with Standard Bleachery Co. the line survived an active status until the late 1980's. Into the 1990's the tracks at times stored MOW equipment at times but mostly became overgrown with nature. Most of the rails are still in place with nice size oaks & maples growing between the ties. Hard to believe that back in April 1963 track speeds were 50 MPH to Carlton Ave then speed reduced to 25 across "BE" Draw. When I first started rail fanning the branch in 1975, track speed was 35 to 25, then by Conrail in 1985, it was yard Limit speed of 15 MPH.

The tracks are now owned by NS with talks of selling it to become a rail-trail from Montross Ave to the Passaic River but those talks have been in limbo for years.

Here is a little switching down at Royce & thanks Minerman for the best route for TS !

- Mark -

Mark,

Thank you for the kind words. The Carlton Hill Branch was a labor of love and exemplifies my desire to recreate the obscure parts of the NY Division. 5 years of development and we are still going strong heading now West of Middletown, NY for the Otisville Tunnel. Its a shame we don't hear from other interested parties here on trainsim.com. Do keep putting these images up and showcasing this work. You have my heartfelt thanks.

In other news, I am offered my assistance to DTM and their SW1200 which will be released in glorious Maroon, Gray and Yellow very soon.
    You can check it out right here ... and its dead on too!
    https://www.facebook.com/Digitaltrai...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by minerman146 View Post
    Mark,

Thank you for the kind words. The Carlton Hill Branch was a labor of love and exemplifies my desire to recreate the obscure parts of the NY Division. 5 years of development and we are still going strong heading now West of Middletown, NY for the Otisville Tunnel. Its a shame we don't hear from other interested parties here on trainsim.com. Do keep putting these images up and showcasing this work. You have my heartfelt thanks.

In other news, I am offered my assistance to DTM and their SW1200 which will be released in glorious Maroon, Gray and Yellow very soon.
    You can check it out right here ... and its dead on too!
    So you are heading to Port Jervis after all. I know you were tossing it around for a long while.

I know, I figured that the forum here would be on it more for this route too. I see here the that the people here when they talk TS20XX, they talk more Euro route. Nothing wrong with that. But if they really want to see and run a true labor of love. See how a truly built from scratch prototypical route is done, how the person keeps you informed of the updates & progress of it. They should download it from the Steam Workshop.

I am honest when I say it is the route I run the most when I use TS2019. After all it is "My Hometown" route along with the NYS&W Passaic Branch. Needless to say I do run the Dundee & Carlton Hill branches on the route mega times. And those SW1200 will look perfect on those lines.

Maybe one day, when you are all done (If that day ever comes) and you want to put a bit of interesting historical track in. You just might want to put in the old Hayden Chemical Plant on Monroe Street in Garfield in. It was serviced until the early 90's (Then it was known as Kamala Chemical after they bought it from Tenneco). Made for some interesting switching with Monroe Street being a heavily trafficked street. Plus I can relive my days of being 12 years old and helping the men of the Erie Lackawanna & Conrail flag the street while switching into the plant .
    - Mark -

Hi Folks,

Beautiful shots - LOL - Otisville - been riding Metro North out of there for the last 20 years or so...

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Beautiful shots - LOL - Otisville - been riding Metro North out of there for the last 20 years or so...
    Now you are making me feel old Scott. I can actually say I rode up to PJ in Stillwells being pulled by an E8 around 1971. Then P-S "Dieseliners" when they still had Café-Bar cars. Though the few cabrides in the "Birdbirds" U34CH were my highlights over the years.

Even back in the early 1980's when Metro North bought some ex-NH RDC's to use between Suffern & PJ before the realignment on the former Graham Line.

OK, now I feel really old.
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by MMSS View Post
    Now you are making me feel old Scott. I can actually say I rode up to PJ in Stillwells being pulled by an E8 around 1971. Then P-S "Dieseliners" when they still had Café-Bar cars. Though the few cabrides in the "Birdbirds" U34CH were my highlights over the years.

Even back in the early 1980's when Metro North bought some ex-NH RDC's to use between Suffern & PJ before the realignment on the former Graham Line.

OK, now I feel really old.
    Hah - my dad spoke of the bar cars and as a kid I remember meeting the train in Goshen when he got off - man - how times have changed... When I started we still had a bunch of the old fluted coaches... Now Goshen is building Legoland - for a town that prided itself on its historic flavor and buildings - how times have changed... The new Metro North Alstrom coaches are the worst torture known to man - the old Bombardier coaches were FAR more comfortable - I’m being tortured as we speak...

I’m getting out soon and going to Northern New England or Maine just as fast as I can...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not that old ... I remember the conductor asking my father if he wanted a coffee, when we stopped in Goshen. Where my father stopped the cab of the E8, Elsie's was what, 20 feet away? I got the hot chocolate. Years later ended up working at Conklin Lumber in Goshen right across the street from the Station, a few years after that, I ended up living in Goshen for a few years. Memories man - that's why I build this thing! I did and still have respect for those guys who worked in the City and spent all that time riding to and from work for a better life.

Elsie's is still open - once a year or so, I pop in for breakfast. Before I go in I stand on the asphalt just about where I was almost 50 years ago, some summer morning going to Hoboken.

Scott,

Did you fly in to Wiscasset ?
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by minerman146 View Post
    Your not that old ... I remember the conductor asking my father if he wanted a coffee, when we stopped in Goshen. Where my father stopped the cab of the E8, Elsie's was what, 20 feet away? I got the hot chocolate. Years later ended up working at Conklin Lumber in Goshen right across the street from the Station, a few years after that, I ended up living in Goshen for a few years. Memories man - that's why I build this thing! I did and still have respect for those guys who worked in the City and spent all that time riding to and from work for a better life.

Elsie's is still open - once a year or so, I pop in for breakfast. Before I go in I stand on the asphalt just about where I was almost 50 years ago, some summer morning going to Hoboken.
    Hah - a fellow Goshen resident - yeah - when I was a kid - the Occidental Hotel was across the street from the train station and there was Jeb’s - a loose candy store where we would stock up on fireballs - used to love those things... We lived out on Ridge Road which was around 2 miles from the bridge that crossed over the old L&HR trackage - hence my attraction... While before my time - I tend to be more nostalgic for the steam era... I build steam locomotives and rolling stock for ORTS...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodfyr View Post
    Scott,

Did you fly in to Wiscasset ?
    Hi...

Not lately - but I have before... Cool little airport... Actually breaking in a new engine - still on mineral oil... Also dealing with ADS-B compliance necessary for 2020...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by scottb613; 09-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.