Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something really big is coming.

Hi Robert,
    I have just tried your BigBoy in Open Rails and, to a completely uneducated eye, the textures look OK; the only difference seems to be the grey smokebox is a little lighter in OR than in MSTS.

Cheers,
    Ged

BigBoy-OR-1.jpg

Ged, Thank you for the test results. I have no clue what the OP whom is having problems is trying to describe?

The difference in texture is only slight, If anything the model looks slightly better in ORTS. What I have not tried yet is turning on the Hi-Shine effects on the Bigboys and Challengers. Straight out of the box UP 4012 from UPSteam has the high shine effect turned on. It's the only model in the set that does.

Mike,

I have been thinking about fixing all the locomotives in the UP Steam set. Almost all of them are fixed at this point with unofficial patches.
    I am thinking about adapting Anita Ashton Price's work to the UPSteam.Zip. She did some awesome work on physics that seems to be very close to the real performance curves for these locomotives.

SP cabforward, Those locomotives are horrible. Engines are not scaled correctly, tenders are either too narrow or too wide. They are really horrible first attempts by the fellow who made them. I really don't think working on them is worth the time. Maybe it's time to annoy Dave Nelson to share the SP steam from the Cal-P route?

The Daylight, I have the original Justin Cornel version but have never looked at physics or patches for it. I know there is a newer generation model of the locomotive here with custom sound sets from Brandon Williams.

Robert

One thing you might consider changing is the wheel rims. There black on the real thing, not silver.

I will consider it.

My UP 844 Gray hound has the proper wheel textures but they don't show up very well in MSTS at all. After all the negative feedback on that repaint I am hesitant to do much on changing the wheel textures on these models. My attempt was to offer a semi realistic 4014.

I do wish someone would offer a new Bigboy and Challenger model? If Mike Laxer is around maybe he will share his someday?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    I will consider it.

My UP 844 Gray hound has the proper wheel textures but they don't show up very well in MSTS at all. After all the negative feedback on that repaint I am hesitant to do much on changing the wheel textures on these models. My attempt was to offer a semi realistic 4014.

I do wish someone would offer a new Bigboy and Challenger model? If Mike Laxer is around maybe he will share his someday?

Robert
    After my Genesis project is done... Let's just say I'm taking a trip to Steamtown next week to take some "big" reference photos.

I've been there twice as a little kid in the 90's.

Robert

A repaint I started some time ago using Roberts .s file to add shine. Thank you Robert.
    UP 4014.JPG
    Jim

Jim, That looks really good. I like how the shine effect was captured in your shot. If you ever release your version of 4014 I might just retire my recent attempt at 4014 since the wheels are not quite right and there is a few other defects in my version.

Robert

Locos left to do as I ease my way through my list,

BB 4014-Update some textures

BB 4018, I think this is my least favorite repaint. It's taking me forever to complete this one.

BB 4000 The first one delivered to UP.

Challenger 3967-Pulled the first UP excursion train for the Rocky Mountain RR Club. Was in storage until 1960. Sold for scrap 1960.

Steve Lee's Challenger 3718. If UP 3985 had been converted to oil firing and into a Grey Hound, she would have become the 3718 when returned to Cheyenne and black paint.

Challenger 3977 repaint into yellow stripe Grey Hound.

Challenger 3976, yellow strip Grey Hound.

Challenger 3978 Silver stripe Grey Hound.

Challenger 3983 Silver Stripe Grey Hound. (This one is subject to change to another number.) Research is conflicting on whether or not the 3980 was ever a grey hound. If it turns out to be a grey hound it will replace 3983.

Last of the locomotives will be FEF-3 833.

Last of the NALW repaints will be the steam support coaches. Two of which are already complete almost.

Pending E9 renumber?

Robert