Thread: Installation help

Default Installation help

I'm trying to install MSTS on my Windows 7 PC and when the installation reaches 64% it gets stuck like this
    msts install help.jpg

I've followed the Youtube guides but it's still stuck like this

Anyone knows how to solve the problem?

Hi NgKQ,
    I would suspect that your PC is having trouble reading CD2. If it doesn't look damaged, try cleaning it then attempt a re-install of MSTS.

If it still fails, try copying the contents of CD2 into a temporary folder on your PC; if it fails part of the way through, I would think that the CD is damaged too much. If all the files and folders copy to the temporary folder successfully, copy the contents of CD1 into the SAME FOLDER, allowing the one file to overwrite. If both CDs copied successfully, open the temporary folder and run setup.exe as administrator - with luck, you'll get MSTS installed much quicker than when using the CDs!

Cheers,
    Ged

None of us use our CD/DVD Roms anymore, if we even have one.
    Consequently they get packed full of dirt over time Ask me how I know.
    You might try gently blowing it out with some canned air.

Randy

Or you can install open rails which has all kinds of advantages and you won't need to figure out the MSTS problem.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Or you can install open rails which has all kinds of advantages and you won't need to figure out the MSTS problem.
    In principle, I agree with you. In practice, you need MSTS installed, even if you don't run it, for the content. Much of that content is on CD2.

Most routes in the file library still need the MSTS scenery object library (remember installme.bat files?), though that has started to change recently. Many older (and even some not so old) routes also have default activities requiring the MSTS stock; while it's feasible to mitigate that with the consist and activity editors around (or even just Notepad), it's still a pain when you want to just test the route after installation.

That said, all that's actually needed are the files, not the installed program. So if you have a backup of an old MSTS installation, that can be copied (the registry entries aren't needed if the program won't be run). That avoids having to try to read CD2 again.

Sidebar: is the problem with reading CD2 perhaps related to the old copy protection that MSTS used? Is it no longer supported in Windows, and therefore causing problems with reading the CDs? Note that one of the purposes of the official MS update was to remove copy protection (that required the CD to be inserted to run the sim).

I use W10 and had the same issue.
    As mentioned above, installation will not read CD2.
    Solution for me was to have the following program read both CD's into the same ISO file and run them from there off your HD.
    Some say you can just copy and paste the CD contents to the HD, but that did not work for me.
    Once you have a good ISO, save it in a safe place which means you no longer have to rely on the CD method.
    https://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/