Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winzip alternatives?

Default Winzip alternatives?

Seeing as there's only a few routes on here that require winzip as a part of the install process and the $20 price tag for the program once the demo time is over....

I kind of want to know if there are any free programs out there that can the job i need them to do?

Cheers
    Derek

So do I.

The only thing it doesn't handle are multi-part zip files. OTOH, the 7z archive is often smaller than .zip... and it does .rar as well. And it is free.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

I'll third the above.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    So do I.

The only thing it doesn't handle are multi-part zip files. OTOH, the 7z archive is often smaller than .zip... and it does .rar as well. And it is free.
    I actually have 7zip and as you said, it doesn't like to play nice with spanned zip files. Is there any way around that issue?

Hi Fellas,
    If, by "spanned zips", you mean a .zip file and one or more .znn files (where nn is a number), then I must disagree with Dave and stlsf4003 in that 7Zip handles them without any problem - I'm using v16.02 (64 bit) under Win 7 and Win 10. Note that all files which comprise a spanned zip must have the same 'base' name, ie the part before .z must be identical.

I believe that WinZip may have been able to pick up the files from different folders, but 7Zip requires that all the files, which make up the spanned zip, are in the same folder.

If there are spanned zips which use different file extensions, please let me know and I check them with 7Zip. Note that a variation comprises a .exe file and one or more files with .Dnn (nn is a number) - as supplied with the Monon route; this is a self-extracting spanned zip which doesn't use 7Zip (or WinZip!).

Cheers,
    Ged

There is also another free program that I use called Bandizip. https://www.bandisoft.com/bandizip/
    It has built into it both 7Zip and rar files along with standard zip files and it also does spanned files with no problem.
    Paul

Actually the latest version of 7Zip works fine on spanned zips, just tested on a copy of the CGW install files I have sitting around.

7Zip.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Fellas,
    If, by "spanned zips", you mean a .zip file and one or more .znn files (where nn is a number), then I must disagree with Dave and stlsf4003 in that 7Zip handles them without any problem - I'm using v16.02 (64 bit) under Win 7 and Win 10. Note that all files which comprise a spanned zip must have the same 'base' name, ie the part before .z must be identical.

I believe that WinZip may have been able to pick up the files from different folders, but 7Zip requires that all the files, which make up the spanned zip, are in the same folder.

If there are spanned zips which use different file extensions, please let me know and I check them with 7Zip. Note that a variation comprises a .exe file and one or more files with .Dnn (nn is a number) - as supplied with the Monon route; this is a self-extracting spanned zip which doesn't use 7Zip (or WinZip!).

Cheers,
    Ged
    You were right on the money. All i needed to do was install the latest version of 7zip and i was ready to go!

Only to find out that one of the routes i was wanting to install (The Cima Subdivision) has some kind of error that makes it so i can't even load up the route from the OR launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by stlsf4003 View Post
    Only to find out that one of the routes i was wanting to install (The Cima Subdivision) has some kind of error that makes it so i can't even load up the route from the OR launcher.
    Did you download the spanned zip version, or the complete one-zip version?
    Whichever you used, did it install without any errors?
    Have you followed the Readme instructions (BIN is not required if you're not rnning MSTS)?

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 05-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.