Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSTS Activity editor

Default MSTS Activity editor

Was always wondering, have tried to experiment to fix this over the years, but have no clue why it happens.

OK, on many 3DTrains F A and B units, in the eng file states Name ( "ATSF FTA 152C" ), yes I added the name line, Consist Builder reads it as ATSF FTA 152C.

If I go to the MSTS Activity Editor, and go to say Player, "New" Player Service, then click "New" under Consists, now I am ready to build a consist the old way.

All my engine names appear, but not the 3DTrains Funits. Example my ATSF FTA 152C shows
    as the filename (AUnit_ATSF_152C)..........but has a name line of Name ( "ATSF FTA 152C" ).

A whole lot.... of my 3DTS F units show like this just in the MSTS Activity Editor.....
    But shows correctly in Consist Builder.

Also, I did a test and renamed the eng/sd and s file to a new name, changed the entries in the s and eng file and it shows correctly...........go figure..................

Any ideas..........................?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick-MONON; 05-13-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Disregard
    This time I did not give up......

If you have this issue, here is the fix:

my eng file at the bottom read:

DieselEngineMaxRPMChangeRate( 50 )
    )
    Sound ( "..\\..\\3DTrains_FPack\\Sound\\3DTrains_FTUnit_Ca b_ATSF.sms" )

Name ( "ATSF FTA 152C" )

I changed it to:

Sound ( "..\\..\\3DTrains_FPack\\Sound\\3DTrains_FTUnit_Ca b_ATSF.sms" )

Name ( "ATSF FTA 152C" )
    )

I moved the one ) .

These files that do not display right are also by default missing items that V4 has, interesting, but they work.
    Last edited by Rick-MONON; 05-13-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Rick

MONON-2

Hi Rick,
    A similar problem came up a few months ago!
    I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem, but it might be!

MSTS AE expects the Name of the vehicle to be in the Engine section of the .eng file - it's usually just before the Description block. If the name is put in the Wagon section, near the 'top' of the .eng file, AE doesn't 'see' it and uses the file name in the vehicle selection list.

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : Obviously, the above wasn't the cause of your problem, but I suspect the close bracket before your original Sound line - the only close bracket 'operational' at that point (unless you've commented out a section of the .eng file) is that matching the Engine ( line, which should be at the very end of the file.
    Last edited by slipperman; 05-13-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks, but I figured it out, read below your comments....
    Rick

MONON-2

Rick,

Both ConBuilder and the MSTS CE display the Name line in their ENG & WAG lists. If there is no Name line then thing get different. ConBuilder displays the filename. The MSTS CE displays the first Wagon Line data entry. Now of course the filename, the two Wagon lines and the Engine line should all be the same, but if one makes then slightly different then one can see that it is the first Wagon line that the MSTS CE displays.

Your screenshot of ConBuilder is hard to understand what you are trying to say because you are pointing to the Engine whose filename is
    AUnit_ATSF_152C.eng BUT the selected ENG is
    AUnit_ATSF_152CTest.eng Notice the ConBuilder Status line (On the very bottom of the ConBuilder window). That shows that the selected ENG is 3DTrains_FTUnits_ATSF-test\
    ATSF_152CTest,eng -- ATSF FTA 152C Test (Format is Folder\filename -- Name line). If you had scrolled down in the ENG list, that ENG would have been highlighted.
    Charles

Don't get hung up on the
    ATSF_152CTest,eng -- ATSF FTA 152C Test (Format is Folder\filename -- Name line). If you had scrolled down in the ENG list, that ENG would have been highlighted.
    That was the last one I selected, sorry....

Let me post the eng file, it is missing a lot of stuff I now noticed, the only fix maybe to rebuild the original file...........

I'll post it soon, Which is why MSTS Activity Editor is not seeing it.
    BTW, the test named one shows fine in either editor, the original does not.
    Rick

MONON-2

Here is the file

mononrr.com/downloads/AUnit_ATSF_152C_eng_file.txt

If you notice, after this

DieselEngineIdleRPM( 270 )
    DieselEngineMaxRPM( 780 )
    DieselEngineSpeedOfMaxTractiveEffort( 11mph )

All the other eng file items are missing, there are a lot of these..............

Solution, is to rebuild each one.
    Rick

MONON-2

Rick,
    The close bracket before the Sound line is the Closing of the EngineControllers section. That is where it belongs. Placing it after the Name line puts the Sound and Name in the EngineControllers section. They do not belong in the EngineControllers section.

Do you have a closing bracket for the Engine section? Should be at end of file just after the closing bracket for the EngineOperatingProcedures section. That is 2 )) at the end of file on separate lines.
    Charles

Thats what I am also saying, all the eng controls are missing, and a lot of the files in these packs are the same way.

I moved it and it shows correctly as you suggest, but when you drive it, there are missing controls, at least 20 lines missing in the file
    Rick

MONON-2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-MONON View Post
    Here is the file

mononrr.com/downloads/AUnit_ATSF_152C_eng_file.txt

If you notice, after this

DieselEngineIdleRPM( 270 )
    DieselEngineMaxRPM( 780 )
    DieselEngineSpeedOfMaxTractiveEffort( 11mph )

All the other eng file items are missing, there are a lot of these..............

Solution, is to rebuild each one.
    Rick,

I just downloaded the current file containing ATSF 152C from 3dtrains.com and comparing to the ENG file you posted in thread. You are missing about 100 lines.
    Charles