well considering the vagaries of MS track, even with X & M tracks. I am
    going on to the Interstate RR and have done it from Tacoma almost to
    Norton. The IRR is the current line from Norton to Appalachia, the L&N
    having been abandoned after a connection to NS was made at Big Stone
    Gap around 1982. Even so, I intend to include the L&N line as the route
    is backdated to around 1980. I will leave markers in for the IRR from
    Tacoma to south of Coeburn in case there is a IRR fan that wants to
    complete that. I might consider including that in a future update of the
    Kingsport Sub. (CLinchfield) since that would include Miller Yard.

I need to add more roads to the Virginian & Big Sandy routes, and then
    I want to lay track on the rest of the routes. As all this is going on,
    Moe Smith is checking the MCOA2 route and then I review these and
    send them to Lukas. Eventually Lukas will release a new version of the
    MCOA2. Lukas handles overhead wires a lot better than I, and the
    Virginian will be my last electrified route. I expect my next release
    will probably be the Virginian but I need to create a lot of modern coal
    mine equipment first.

And finally, I will be away from my computer from 7/4 through 7/22
    while I go to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic to train as, and hopefully
    work as, a docent. The school is 2 days starting 7/8 and then one
    has to do a few trips with an experienced docent. This term, docent,
    usually associated with a museum, is used, because the C&TS is a
    moving museum. It is also a place for those who were born too late.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Colleagues,
    And finally, I will be away from my computer from 7/4 through 7/22 while I go to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic to train as, and hopefully work as, a docent. The school is 2 days starting 7/8 and then one has to do a few trips with an experienced docent. This term, docent, usually associated with a museum, is used, because the C&TS is a moving museum. It is also a place for those who were born too late.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    Enjoy your time at C&T. It must be great to get the full feel of what steam was like. I'm jealous.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Chris,

If you really want to get the full feel, they do have fireman/engineer schools offered a couple
    of times during the season. Rather pricey, I think the 2018 price was about $500 for an hour
    or so of throttle time, and they do it with some of the freight equipment out on the main
    line. I had my throttle experience on the Southern, when I worked there from 1965 to
    1978. My experience was on the Southern 4501, same wheel arrangement as most of the
    C&TS power, but bigger space between the wheels.

My comment about "being born too late" is part of the motto of the "Friends of the C&TS".

Jerry Sullivan

I've continued to lay track on the Clinch-Appalachia route and have completed the
    mainline of the Interstate which started at Wentz, mile zero. Today it only goes to
    Tacoma at mile 22, where it joins the former N&W main, but in days of old it went
    on another few miles down the Guest River to Miller Yard. It would not be hard to
    digitize the line on to Miller Yard because today it is a very visible (on G.E.) hiking
    trail.

So then I started to lay track along the former Southern line which will go as far
    as Big Stone Gap, likewise for the former L&N line. This brings back memories.
    I was last up here as a SR employee in the summer of 1978, but have been back
    in 2002 or so when the L&NHS held their annual meeting in Kingsport, TN.
    Alongside US-23, the Southern had a yard, consisting of 3 long tracks besides
    the main track. All four tracks were very busy most of the day, with two unit
    trains being assembled of Southern Silversides gondolas (hint, rolling stock
    folks how about creating some of those). At the east end of this yard, there
    stood the Westmoreland Coal Company transloader, as well as a entry into a
    coal mine. The transloader was on the site of the former SR yard and it
    existed from 1969 until 1995, when Westmoreland pulled out of Virginia. It
    is history today, but on GE you can see the circular bases of the silos.

Activity creators can go insane here. There will be many small, and a few
    large, mines on the several IRR branches between Appalachia & Norton as
    well as the SR St. Charles branch. Smaller hopper cars, with a big yellow
    dot (ball) on the side were limited to local, online, service and brought
    raw (or dirty) coal to the transloader where it was cleaned, sized, etc. and
    then stored in the 4 silos. Finished coal was then loaded into the
    Aluminum silversides cars. The yard was long enough for 1/2 of a train,
    i.e. 50 cars, so when the road power showed up in the mid-afternoon from
    Andover, it was first used to double the train together while a cab(oose) was
    added to the rear. Around 4pm, the first train departed, and about an hour
    later, the 2nd. One went to Belmont, NC (near Charlotte) and the other to
    Catawba, NC (near Statesville). So I think the activity creators will get the
    general idea.

From 1988 to 1995 a special shuttle train, owned by Westmoreland Coal
    moved coal from the Holton mine (on a short branch off the SR St. Charles
    branch) to the Wentz preparation plant where a unit train was loaded.
    This ceased when Westmoreland Coal left Virginia. The cars were rather
    strange. 16 of them were used and they had their own conveyor that
    ran the full length, underneath. I am including the Holton mine and the
    unloading point for this train, so if a rolling stock creator is interested, I
    can see about getting permission to copy the only photographs I have
    ever seen of them.

In 1982 a connection was made between the L&N (CSX) and by then NS
    on the north edge of Big Stone Gap, and after that the L&N was abandoned
    between Big Stone Gap & Norton, but I will include it. Two features of this
    line are interesting. Bee Rock tunnel, thought to be the shortest on the L&N
    until a shorter one was found at Westmoreland, TN. Both line have now
    been abandoned. There was a rock rib on the side of the mountain when the
    L&N was building their connection to the N&W around 1912 and it was feared
    that removal of the rib would cause instability, so a tunnel through it (45 feet
    or so) was dug. Then less than a mile to the west, the SR crossed over the
    L&N on a bridge right at the west (railroad north) portal of another tunnel.
    The SR yard ended at the east end of the bridge, which passes over US-23,
    Powell River, and the L&N.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Cool

Colleagues,

I was successful at the C&TS and returned to Jacksonville as a active docent (good for 2 years) and now have completed
    the track for the Clinch-Appalachia route. If anyone is really interested in one of my routes, i.e. working on it, I can send
    them out "open source" through "wetransfer" which avoids clogging up the T-S servers. I did the two days of school at
    Chama, NM and then did 1 observation & 4 active trips as a understudy plus 1 afternoon as a yard guide and this qualified
    me for 2 years. Today we found out what my wife's hospital bill was (less than expected) so I am giving serious thought
    to going out to NM twice next year. I was asked to come back this fall if possible, but now there is no lodging available,
    so next year is it. The docent group tells me that I am the only docent with real railroad experience and certainly the only
    one to have every touched a steam locomotive throttle. Thus I was explaining things to the passengers, while my observer
    was taking notes and one in particular, now a friend, who lives in Mississippi 7 months of the year told me that I spoke
    with authority on things he and the other docents knew nothing about. It was great fun, tiring yes, but great fun.

This is me in my docent "uniform".

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, having lived in and gone to high school in Framingham... I have this strange interest in the BA line in that area. (Taking the MBTA from Framingham to Boston was a thing) Heck, the reason I did a CR N9 Caboose was that there was always one in the Framingham yard. Along with many Amaizo tank cars.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I am interested in seeing the last 3 routes you have listed complete. I like Norfolk Southern and the csx/c&o railroad. Would download all the routes once they are complete.

Jerry, I'm glad you enjoyed the C&T, one of my favorite places. I haven't been there in a number of years now, the last time was two weeks before the trestle burned down, maybe 2010? I spent a good time in the morning in the shop talking to the workers and they were impressed with my machining knowledge and tried to get me to join the friends but I had other commitments at that time so I had to pass on the opportunity. I still watch the train depart almost every day on their live web cam..
    Jim

If I had known about the C&TS better, I would have moved there when I retired in 2001 from CSX. Now though, NM is
    a sanctuary state, so visiting is sufficient. Right now, I will make next years plans as soon as I know the 2020 schedule, likely
    in mid-December and may go out for the first week of the season, and then definitely for the last 3 weekends of the
    season. It is not terribly expensive and it is either use thy $$ or the children inherit it------. None of my progeny give
    a northbound rat's south end about trains. Lobato trestle burned in 2010 requiring that the deck and most of the upper
    metal parts be replaced which was done in 2013. It is still not known what started the fire, but most folks believe it was
    arson. Our first trip out there was in Sept. 2014. I'm not very good at
    carpentry etc., but I know history, especially of the San Juan Extension as well as the geology of the area. My weakness
    is in botany, but I learned of a small pocket size book on that, which I will want to have before next year. The most
    frequent question is how much are the docents paid. Well, we get a free lunch---. Most of us prefer to do the westbound
    train as we are done for the day 2 hours earlier than the eastbound, but it does not make much difference to me. This is
    because all of the docents work out of Chama & most stay there as well. One docent keeps his trailer at the Los Mogotes
    camp ground which is about 5 miles west of Antonito and because of that, he prefers to work the eastbound trips.

The WebCams are down for the moment, at least they were a day or two ago. They went down while I was watching
    on August 7 and it appeared to be a lightning strike. The fellows that maintain them have said that they hope to have
    them back up by season's end but make no promises.

One individual has suggested that I upload my incomplete routes for two reasons: 1. If I should drop dead, they would still be
    available for others to flesh out as desired and, 2. others could flesh them out if desired. Another has more or less asked for the
    remaining Milwaukee Road routes to be made available.

I am considering this, and disk space for Nels should not be a serious issue as my undetailed routes usually are less than
    500Mbt, usually much less when zipped. The only serious problem I can see is this. If member "A" takes a route to finish,
    how can other members know this is the case. And if for some reason member "A" cannot finish it, how can they make it
    known to others that there is another & higher version available so someone else can work on it. Any thoughts??