Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Rails unresolved Issues Please?

Default Open Rails unresolved Issues Please?

I have been trying the not so new Open rails this Week, quite Impressed with the Actual Layout,looks a lot better than MSTS.
    However there are a Few Hiccups that I need to sort out.

Since MSTS came on the market some Years ago I have actually learnt something about Creating Consists with my own Diesels, Steam Loco's and my own Rolling Stock, (Some not to Time Era/Period) but do look Great. I have loads of mixes and matches saved my on my Hard Drives.

These Consist Combinations Have worked fine for for me over the Years and a Few are currently in use in other Routes at the moment.

But, I have spent most of the Weekend trying to put them into PRR EAST in the usual manner i.e using the Trainset and Consist folders but they are not showing up in the Loco list when it loads.

I have done this loads of times before with no problems at all, apart from a mistake last Week when I Clicked on the wrong Loco & wound up with an unwanted CLASS50 Diesel. although it worked my consists did not. These consists work perfectly OK in the following Routes:- Dorset Coast, Gold Spike, all MONON Route Versions, Surfliner 2.2 and Thames Mersey. so cannot understand why they wont work in the PRR EAST Route?

The other Problem I have is the GUI Screens in PRR EAST. Is it Open Rails or the Creators of the PRR EAST that Have Changed these.

As a preference I prefer the ones I've been using these past Years.

I can understand a new Open Rails Setup and the PRR EAST Setup but why should they mess with the GUI Screen Settings. Have tried to put my own prefered GUI Screens back in but it doesn't work.

Some of these Items have been mentioned in Recent Posts but as yet not resolved.

Many thanks

Paul.

I assume you installed the route following the instructions to the letter? i.e. As a separate MINI Route Install

If you have installed it in ANY other way you are on your own.

If you are attempting to run the route in MSTS expect less than stellar performance. (as in very poor frame rates, crashing due to high detail ect.)

Please post a screen showing the problem GUI. I cannot read minds and there is a lot of GUI. Please be specific.

If using Open Rails one of the requirements listed in the ReadMe documentation is to attach the OpenRailsLog.txt file with a bug or problem report.
    You enable LOGGING by placing a CHECK MARK in the box on the Open Rails opening screen. (Commonly called the 'Splash' screen.)

Regards,
    vince
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hi Vince, Thanks for quick reply.

Currently having an issue with my Mini_Loader have uninstalled and Reinstalled it several times now but when I Double click on It to select the Route and then Double Click on it to Confirm Route, It tells me I haven't selected a Route?

I am now playing with RouteRiter to try and create a Mini_Route, but it is a very unforgiving Programme, One error with the Key Strokes, It crashes and I have to Start again.

But will get there eventually.

Many thaanks

Paul.

Hi Paul,
    This is an Open Rails Forum - you do not need to use Mini_Loader as OR only loads what it wants! As I've mentioned before, DO NOT use Mini_Loader (or TrainStore) with Open Rails, otherwise you'll be restricted as to what you can run.

If you're having trouble creating a mini-route with Route_Riter, see how you do with my diy_mini_routes.zip from the library - please carefully read, and understand, the instructions.

Cheers,
    Ged

Default Please Follow Install Directions

Quote Originally Posted by pcohen View Post
    Hi Vince, Thanks for quick reply.

Currently having an issue with my Mini_Loader have uninstalled and Reinstalled it several times now but when I Double click on It to select the Route and then Double Click on it to Confirm Route, It tells me I haven't selected a Route?

I am now playing with RouteRiter to try and create a Mini_Route, but it is a very unforgiving Programme, One error with the Key Strokes, It crashes and I have to Start again. But will get there eventually.
    Many thaanks Paul.
    A quick FYI: The PRR East V2 is already packaged as a COMPLETE MINI Route. IOW, everything needed to run the route is already there . . .Everything!!!!
    DO NOT USE ANY MINI route 'creator' like Route_Riter or Trainmaster as it will cause problems, bugs and frustrate you needlessly.

In other words if the Install directions are followed all you need do is to:
    (1) put the route in a NEW folder named anything what you wish,
    (2) In Open Rails Content Screen point OR to that new folder and you are ready to run trains,

Any rolling stock substitutions must be done in the PRR Mini Folder TRAINS sub folders that come with the PRR installer.
    I couldn't make it any simpler than that.

Combining the PRR with other routes folders and/or freelancing how you want to install because 'you always do it that way' in will lead to exactly to the problems you have got. This is why the explicit install instructions as a mini install are meant to avoid these problems.

Any further problems please attach (if using OR) the OpenRailsLog.txt file. This is MOST important for diagnosing problems.

regards,
    vince
    Last edited by Vince; 05-15-2019 at 04:54 PM.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

In Open Rails, the terminology is called an "Installation" and not a "mini-route" (where that term came from long ago, I'll never know, but it always sounded goofy) So what is needed is for one to look in the manual for setting up an installation and leave these MSTS era mini-route creating and rolliing stock hiding tools behind.

A gaming PC can have more than one Open Rails installation. Each installation can have one or more routes. Any routes that share the same installation also share the same Trainset and Consist folder.

An Open Rails installtion only requires 4 basic folders,

a ROUTES folder that contains the relevant routes you want in this installation.

a GLOBAL folder that contains the track systems used by the routes in this installation

a SOUND folder for any unique sounds

a TRAINS folder that contains a TRAINSET and CONSIST sub-folders

New payware routes and any freeware routes that don't require the old default assets can be installed directly to any Open Rails installation by just pointing the routes installer there.

I think Vince has supplied these 4 basic folders. All you need to do is place them on your hard drive and point the open rails app to "find it" via the Options tab, then Content tab.

Mini / Installation; Thanks for the correction of terms.

Also you are correct as to what I supplied for the PRR East 'Installation package.

I also included a dummy Train.exe which is simply a text file renamed with a EXE extension.
    This is included only to allow Route_Riter to run the diagnostic tests as RR requires the presence of a Train.exe file name, not the actual executable.

regards,
    vince

It would be nice to be able to have a main Trains folder to use with the various mini routes.
    Something easy like a dropdown window in OR.

Randy

Hi Randy,

You are describing the original way MSTS was packaged;
    A \ROUTES folder which could be considered a folder of 'mini routes' and
    a \TRAINS folder containing all the rolling stock and consists for all the routes, just as you are suggesting.

The Mini Route concept was developed to have only the rolling stock for a particular route to avoid unneeded clutter of incorrect rolling stock taking up HD space. For instance, you won't see the TGV in the \TRAINSET folder for the PRR-East-v2 route.

regards,
    vince

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    It would be nice to be able to have a main Trains folder to use with the various mini routes.
    Something easy like a dropdown window in OR.

Randy
    As Vince says, that's the way the original MSTS is set up. If you Really Really want that (definitely not recommended, and likely to totally crash MSTS - DO AT YOUR OWN RISK), then after installing a mini-route, drag all the FOLDERS within the mini-route to the directory where you have all your regular MSTS stuff. That will merge the mini-route files with your other files. In Open Rails, it should work, but might not, so do it as a copy rather than a move, and be prepared with a backup of other stuff already there in case you have to reinstall it all afterward to undo mixups.

Again, not recommended, STRONGLY. If a route is packaged as a mini-route, it's best to keep it that way. Open Rails works fine with mini-routes - just add them to the list of content locations. If you use MSTS, a route packaged as a mini-route is probably done that way to prevent MSTS from crashing.