Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Rails unresolved Issues Please?

SOME CLARIFICATION ...for those new to Open Rails and those who come to the hobby since Open Rails.

Most here will know this but comments here seem to indicate that we should not assume that all do?

"Mini Route" : The concept of a Mini Route was to enable installation of MSTS to run ONE SPECIFIC ROUTE. As many older MSTS routes depended on using assets from default routes the idea was to have a totally separate install of MSTS for a specific route add-on.

Advantages : Enables you to have a custom stock pack and loads of consists specific to the Add-On Route without having to use Trainstore. ALSO (and IMO the most important) this kept any errors in this specific installation and therefore easier to trace and fix.

Disadvantages : uses more hard disc space. To today's newcomers that may seem absurd but you have to realise that the size of HDDs at the time MSTS came out is now available in pendrives!!!! Therefore no longer relevant unless you're running on a laptop with small HDD.

"Trainstore" : A utility that enabled MSTS to access only items relevant to a specific route and therefore improve MSTS performance and prevent crashes.

Advantages : MSTS had a finite number of Consists that it could run. You could add routes to your hearst contenet but preety sson the stock and consists for ALL of the added routes would bring MSTS down. By storing anything not needed MSTS ran without issues.

Disadvantages : Mainly due to "operator error". Stored stock lost through misuse of the utility. Also if your MSTS installation got too big the time to store stuff became an issue.

"Mini Loader" : This utility was developed for Mid East Plus, a UK route covering the East Coast mainline and some branches in the UK. The stock pack for Mid East Plus (only available as a Mini Route, like PRR East V2) is huge covering just about everything that operated on the route during the BR Blue period. It also came with well over 100 activities with scores of AI consists. No one thought that Trainstore could be needed for a Mini Route BECAUSE no one had built a Mini Route this big before. Mick Clarke approached Mike Simpson who grasped the problem and wrote Mini Loader to solve the problem. In short it's a simpler programme than Trainstore designed specifically for storing unwanted items in complex Mini Routes.

If you have a Mini Route with loads of stock and loads of activities etc. you may find Mini Loader helps loading times in MSTS Mini Routes. NOT needed in OR of course.

OPEN RAILS
    Post #6 in this thread pretty much sums it up.

OR is stand alone software.

Content is like "a document/file" that the stand alone software accesses.

IMO this is the hardest concept for those who've stuck with MSTS to come to terms with. Younger members and latecomers to the hobby have to realise that we've ("lifers" like me and many other here) been struggling to make MSTS run well and error free on 20 year old software which originally pushed the envelope of most computers available at it's release. The improvement in PC performance, storage capabilities, graphics, displays etc. etc. is staggering compared to what was available in 2001 and for the years in which all the 3rd party software written to enhance MSTS became available.

Open Rails is a brilliant achievement BUT let's not forget or dismiss ALL the brilliant UTILITY SOFTWARE and of course freeware that was developed to make MSTS what it became. Without MSTS there wouldn't be a fraction of the content that late comers now enjoy in Open Rails.

IN CONCLUSION
    Old timers like me KNOW THIS STUFF! It becomes obvious reading the forum nowadays that there are folk coming aboard who don't. The fact that this thread is here at all proves that we should never ASSUME that solutions are obvious or that knowledge is widely shared. That's the whole point of the forum isn't it?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

A mini route is also required when running a NON standard tsection.dat.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    IN CONCLUSION
    Old timers like me KNOW THIS STUFF! It becomes obvious reading the forum nowadays that there are folk coming aboard who don't. The fact that this thread is here at all proves that we should never ASSUME that solutions are obvious or that knowledge is widely shared. That's the whole point of the forum isn't it?
    Geoff, well said. Recently, I've seen more new folk coming aboard and these questions are going to be asked again.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.