Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Something blew in from the dump

Puddles of water. Different shapes and sizes, to simulate during or after a rainfall. On the dirt along the ROW, or on various pavements - which is a big ask. Actually, I'd find it easy to blend the puddles into any terrain file I am in needing of dropping them on, so the water is the main focus, with a thin dirty edge around it (them).
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

How about some dead tree branches, they wouldn't need to have any leaves on them. Some broken off tree stumps would be nice too.
    Just a thought.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    Steam era litter - Lots of discarded paper because people read the newspaper every day - Lots of discarded bottles because everything came in glass bottles. Between that and a layer cinders, the area alongside the tracks could be rather 'crunchy'.
    Good one. Different eras has crossed my mind. I think this will be its own pack of 15-20+ items. Lots of different sized papers, including a few different newspapers, but also train schedules, waybills. . . Any sort of paper likely to be blowing around the tracks. A few different colours and sizes of bottles, including some broken ones. Anything else specific to the steam era?

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Puddles of water. Different shapes and sizes, to simulate during or after a rainfall. On the dirt along the ROW, or on various pavements - which is a big ask. Actually, I'd find it easy to blend the puddles into any terrain file I am in needing of dropping them on, so the water is the main focus, with a thin dirty edge around it (them).
    I'll have to do some experimenting on this one. In full-on Blender mode, I can make beautiful reflective puddles with depth and moving ripples. Once exported to OR, though, they're decidedly underwhelming. Look more like wet throw rugs! The MSTS/OR rendering is just not advanced enough for detailed water effects: Not in the way I'm used to in Blender using modern materials. I'm also not clear on how to do animations in OR yet. Still, there must be some workaround I can employ to get something half-decent looking. . .

Quote Originally Posted by rockislandfan View Post
    How about some dead tree branches, they wouldn't need to have any leaves on them. Some broken off tree stumps would be nice too.
    Just a thought.Ron
    Dismembered tree corpses, eh? Delightfully morbid! A range of tree parts ranging from small branches to logs to to entire fallen trees, with some stumps thrown in for good measure. Hmmm, what other 'litter' occurs in nature? I thought about piles of leaves, but that implies someone to pile them.

Ok, so in no particular order, we need tree litter, puddles, steam-era, "large" litter (abandoned appliances/tools/bicycles). Other things that occurred to me were: Rocks & boulders, loading dock items, and Roadkill.
    That should keep me going for a bit.

Bob

Just really fine work, this whole thread has me smiling.

You are >>>TrashKing-Black.jpg
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Boulders or other rocks wouldn't be bad to have. As for natural, all I can think of is roadkill...that might be a little morbid.

One of the things I see most of near crossings is, unfortunately, car parts. Hubcaps, bits of body, even a coolant tank once

Default How's my bark?

Ok, rather than starting a new thread, I'm just going to continue with this one for the next project(s). Here, we have a log:
    Open Rails 2019-05-23 04-41-25.jpg
    For legal reasons, I can't use photos from online texture sites, so I'm trying to generate my own procedural bark. I think it's in the ballpark, but could probably be better. Other than the scale being a bit big, I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong.

Help me, Hive-Mind, you're my only hope.

Bob

Hard to say what kind of tree it is, so maybe a tad too grey? Even fallen trees don't lose too much color in the bark, until pests really dig at it.
    And the cut or spliced part should be more yellowed, if that is what I see on the right side?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Excellent! Thank you! Tweaked the bark a little browner and smaller, and the ends a little yellower, and it looks quite a bit better. Now that I've got the texture licked (which is half or more of the battle), I can crank out some tree bits with a bit more character than my basic log.

Bob

RTELitterTree.zip uploaded, should appear tomorrow. 9 items: A fallen tree, 2 logs, 3 stumps and 3 branches.
    RTELitterTree.jpg

Think I'll try the puddles next. . .

Bob