Thread: Usa map of mods

Default Usa map of mods

There used to be a program that listed all the USA Mods and had a map which showed the general location of each one. I would love to have this program again.

Quote Originally Posted by lorebutler View Post
    There used to be a program that listed all the USA Mods and had a map which showed the general location of each one. I would love to have this program again.
    Any chance of the question in English? Maybe we'd know what you're talking about then...
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I think what's requested is a map and list of available routes, with the implication that such a thing once existed. The presumption that such a thing existed, and that somebody routinely maintained it, is questionable, however. I've never seen such a beast, and I doubt that anybody has the time and information to prepare one easily. Remember, Trainsim isn't the only place where such things exist, though it's a major source.

I've done small pieces of that in the past, for specific purposes, like routes in California and the pieces of the Transcon, but I've never seen anybody attempt a complete list, even, for the US let alone a map.

One could always search the file library for routes in the US, of course, but that can be hit and miss since routes generally aren't tagged in a way that makes such a search reliable. And of course that would miss payware routes and those available at other sites.

I vaguely remember someone working a Google map that showed the major routes available.

Hmmm missed that it was in "Route Questions" so I assume that you're right Mike. There was indeed a map of US/Canadian Railroads with bit coloured in to show what had been done in MSTS but that must have been around 15 years ago now. It wasn't very detailed as I recall and already out of date when I stumbled upon it. I did look years back to see if it had been updated but without success. I also seem to remember someone trying to do something either with Google Maps or Google Earth but can't remember how or when I saw that.

It would be a useful bit of reference?

In Flight Sims a well known payware scenery/airfield-port publisher produced Google Earth .KMZ files for their regions showing all the fields they'd covered that was invaluable.

Trouble is of course quite a few routes featured in Train Sims no longer exist, and that's especially true of the UK where we had a Transport Minister intent (for his own interests) in destroying vast amounts of the UK's railway infrastructure.

Many of these routes (both sides of the pond) have been wonderfully modeled but drawing them in on current maps would be a real labour of love?
    Geoff
    UK

Perhaps te attached may be of value. I have no idea where this came from, but it is part of my vast collection of TS Stuff. LOLUS-Trainsim.jpg
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Very interesting and useful.
    Thank you.
    Mateus

That is the one. I had it saved ,but updating the computer made it disappear!

The old file mentioned is "what Runs Where" by Chris Bogley (who posted quite a few route maps and guides.

The file is wrw3.zip with an update wrw31.zip, posted to the Trainsim Library in March and April 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    The old file mentioned is "what Runs Where" by Chris Bogley (who posted quite a few route maps and guides.

The file is wrw3.zip with an update wrw31.zip, posted to the Trainsim Library in March and April 2005.
    Yes I too rediscovered these but as you point out they're 14 years out of date and only gave a crude representation for the geographic location of various routes and roads.

As Eric suggested I'm sure that someone actually produced a map that had the stretches of specific routes that had been made coloured in on it. Again that was not recent and how comprehensive it was I didn't really test. Maybe it was on a European site. Anyone checked UKTrainsim yet?
    Geoff
    UK