Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amtrak #8 Seattle To Chicago / Amtrak #7 Chicago To Seattle

Default Amtrak #8 Seattle To Chicago / Amtrak #7 Chicago To Seattle

I'd like to know if this would be too large a route or if this
    is something that is doable. Having rode the route 4 times,
    I'd be interested in driving it.

There is a Marias Pass route available now to US users only (BNSF licensing issue), but as regards a longer version pretty much impossible. It takes me roughly two months to create a 25 mile route to reasonable freeware standards using the route editing tools. Even a team working full time would take years to do what you ask, the resultant route would probably crash the sim (it already chokes on longer routes such as WCML North and WCML South) and, as a commercial project, the average quick fire user would find it too long and boring.

Of course you could always have a crack at building it yourself... see you in about 15 years!
    Vern.

It should be ready for TS2037 What's WCML? So far I've been playing the routes that come with the game.
    I have a few more of those, then I'll start on others.

WCML = West Coast Main Line, in the UK

But you only get bits and pieces of it in TS, over a couple of payware routes.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Ah, I see. I've never built a route before, but it would be wild to actually drive from Seattle to Chicago and back.
    I like your quote, it was used in the Kung Fu television series back in the 1970's.
    Ahhhh Grasshopper

Something of that scope sounds more like a job for Run8 than DTG.

There are some routes for MSTS/Open Rails which will get you part of the way but they do not join up.
    Several that come to mind are those for the Milwaukee Road divisions.
    Not available for TS20XX, though.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by deeplyshrouded View Post
    I like your quote, it was used in the Kung Fu television series back in the 1970's.
    Ahhhh Grasshopper
    Spot on buddy, i never missed an episode.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

You already have Marias & Stevens. All you have to do is fill in he gaps. Good luck.

I know this thread is years old, life sort of got in the way (and death too).
    I did finally (yes FINALLY) get GPS coordinates off the FRA website for all the mileposts between Seattle and Chicago.
    I don't know why I can't get the SEA-CHI route out of my little brain but watching them load in Google Earth is fun.

--Deeply Shrouded & Quiet
    --Central Control! D-Dial #49