Thread: Switch Error Still Exists

Default Switch Error Still Exists

This happened a few years ago and I hoped it would have been corrected by now.

When I was building the Conn River Route I found early on the when you were ON a switch and wanted to throw the NEXT SWITCH and the key of "g" or "Shift g" is supposed to do that OR still is throwing the switch under the train and not the next switch as instructed. I was told at the time this was my problem as my switches were too close. The yard in Bellows Falls was constructed from Google Earth shots and switched were placed where they actually are as you can see the head blocks in the satellite shots, so no they are only as close to each other because that's where they belong.

Now after a year of rebuilding the FJ&G and getting to the point I can start making activities, I'm in the middle of running my first activity and once again run into this same error that was never properly addressed years ago, I can't get a switch to change to enter the south end of the Gloversville yard because OR only wants to change the switch I'm on and then if I move, it puts me into emergency.

What a disappointment, are we all just to build routes that run from point a to point b?

OR 1.3.1.4328

Paul

I'll often run into the same problem when switches are in close proximity. Sometimes I can work around it by alt-clicking on the switch, but alt-click itself seems twitchy and not entirely reliable, no matter the switch's proximity to others.

Thank, I had posted the same question over on ET and Herb Kelsey let me in on the same solution. I found the same thing as you, Alt and clicking on the switch eventually works, the only good thing is it isn't changing switches somewhere else along the route... I hope.

Paul :-)

Yeah, through trial and error I've found that clicking between the rails just shy of the points seems to work most often. I imagine it's programmed to have n pixels of tolerance from where the actual 'handle' is, but the manual doesn't specify any details, so it seems the 'handle' is between the points somewhere, and it could use maybe 2n pixels of tolerance to where you click.

Perhaps whoever wrote that bit of code will see this and clarify?

Bob

To OR the switch is not passed by the head of the train until the head of the train has not passed the head of the switch (that is the position where the two tracks become only one). This is because in the .tdb file the switch location is that one. You can use the dispatcher window to safely throw any switch which is not reserved by a train.

I heard that MSTS spoiled a bunch of people by only throwing the next facing point switch while ignoring the control of any closer trailing point switches that existed in between. I heard that was a bug that never got fixed by them back in the day. What a disappointment!