Thread: Project Big Boy

Default Project Big Boy

Hello everyone -

As my GE Genesis project comes to a close in the next few weeks, I'd like to share a little information about my next project. The Big Boys that are currently available for MSTS/Open Rails have served their time. But like the railroading industry, times have changed and our computers are capable of more than ever. Open Rails has a much higher ceiling on polygon count and much fewer limitations, and I intend to explore these with a brand new, scratch built, ground up model of the first generation Big Boy locomotives.

I recently visited #4012 in Steamtown in Scranton, PA. I have secured a commercial use permit for the locomotive and I have received incredibly detailed copies, gigabytes worth, of technical drawings and scans from the original builder's notes from Steamtown's archives. These drawings are immensely detailed. Combined with these and hundreds of photographs I took on my trip, I will soon begin to model the Big Boy in high detail, with the intent to bring it to Open Rails as a payware addition. Because of the investment in trips and the commercial use permit, this model will be payware - but it'll have the works including a 3D cab. It's time we had one of these beasts in the sim in higher detail and higher accuracy, and the journey begins in a couple weeks. Stay tuned for updates as I begin planning the project and modeling the first parts.

Project Big Boy begins soon.

Kyle Heyer

Default Project Big Boy

Hi Kyle,

LOL - you’re a man on fire...

Once you go steam - there’s no going back...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely look forward to this down the line.....!!!!!!!

But I must say it, if the OR team does not improve the smoke on steam engines, it will not have the same great effect you are hoping for, but yes, a new one would be good......................real good.............
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Is there even an OR team left to improve on anything?

Don't ruin the moment....

As for me, I'm all for this!

It's about damn time someone stepped up to the plat on here to build a steam locomotive for the modern era of MSTS/OR!

Hi Folks,

Yeah - the ORTS team sure could use more help - no doubt - there only seems to be a few left doing the heavy lifting - that said - the few are continually striving to push the ball forward - have donated thousands of hours of their free and not so free time - for the benefit of all... Just last week we gained animated bells for steam locomotives - while that may seem insignificant at first blush - it really does add a great deal to the visual interest to the sim... In the last few weeks - Monogame ORTS versions went from 19 to 22... Unfortunately - we seemed to have lost Robert a while back whom I believe was the architect of most of the environment and smoke effects... We need to keep in mind that the development model - is really based on whatever the individual programmers are interested in working on - with some rough overall design structure defined - so they need to be motivated to dive in and donate their time to the task... While I don't know the nationality of many of the developers - based on the volume of uploads in the library in recent years - enthusiasts from India seem to be the most prevalent and active - hopefully someone can pass ORTS Team recruitment requests to the boards they frequent - as I'm sure they have skilled programmers as well... We definitely need to appreciate all the current ORTS Team does do - as it's light years better than where we started...

To make sure your requests are heard - I'd suggest participating in ORTS's Trello Roadmap...

ORTS Roadmap
    https://trello.com/b/DS2h3Pxc/open-rails-roadmap

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 05-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.