Thread: Adding DEM to existing route

Default Adding DEM to existing route

Hello folks,
    I posted this on the steam forums initially but got no answer.
    I'd like to know if it's possible for me to add DEM (imported terrain) to an existing route and make it work properly. Basically what I mean, is that if I add terrain to an existing route, all the rails, streets, buildings and everything I placed before will be under the newly added terrain. Is it possible to lift everything up at once, or do I have to manually do it?

Manually.

Also if applying higher res DEM, the route editor likely to crash and nt accept it if working near a line of latitude.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Manually.

Also if applying higher res DEM, the route editor likely to crash and nt accept it if working near a line of latitude.
    Damn. Can I at least lift all the track up at once?

No, it doesn't work like that at all. Also, depending on the accuracy of the original DEM and how the route author interpreted it with his maps/markers the track might not even be in the correct location. Believe me, I thought about doing this with my own MSTS routes when we got better DEM data, but the workload is likely to be so large you might as well restart the project from scratch.
    Vern.

With TS2019 I had an old route that was one I first did years ago, it was done on the flat earth system... that is no DEM at all.
    When I got to learn about DEM I got the files req and added them to the DEM folder.... of course when I loaded them onto route everything was underground....
    I "went" down to the route, left clicked and pulled the circle to cover the route (it was just a small route.. Coris Rly) when everything highlighted red i just lifted it all up, not to successful though as the track etc was all "level" so did not fit the new terrain.... a lot of fiddling and joining up between the bits that were at ground level with grades worked... buildings just needed lifting to the new ground level as they were in right place.
    John Griffiths
    (jetgriff)

Invercargill New Zealand